TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
I heard from a few AAU coaches that Pitino's insistence that no one is transferring may not end up being true and we could hear something by end of week. It seems like we're loading up on guards so I'm wondering if it will be someone from the back court. Transfers happen when new coaches come in so as long as its not Hollins or Hollins, hopefully people don't freak out. I also hope its not Wally, Buggs or Coleman.

Were loading up on guards because we have no ball handlers and very few guys who can guard on the perimeter. If there was anything to the rumors I would feel pretty sure it's not either Hollins or Coleman. Anyone else I wouldn't be shocked. Although looking at the minutes available I doubt Elliot or Buggs would go anywhere.

Wally would be a double whammy as you could all but rule us out for his brother who seems to be a prototype for a big man that Pitino would covet....

Wally would be a double whammy as you could all but rule us out for his brother who seems to be a prototype for a big man that Pitino would covet....

Wally would be a real double whammy. Where would he go, though? He didn't have a ton of high major offers coming out of high school, and he didn't really showcase anything incredible as a freshman. In the PiPress I think Wally was quoted saying that he plans on being done with college basketball in four years to move on to the NBA or to high jump professionally.

I would be surprised to see Mav go his Senior year, but perhaps he wants to transfer and play a lot somewhere for his final season.

Dollars to donuts it's Coleman.

Used to starting, wants to start, but may be in line for 6th man role next year.

Which would really suck. Coleman improved between his fr and sophomore year and I'm optimistic he'll be a really good player his upper class years.

Used to starting, wants to start, but may be in line for 6th man role next year.

Which would really suck. Coleman improved between his fr and sophomore year and I'm optimistic he'll be a really good player his upper class years.

Man I really really hope not. I am a Coleman supporter. He is going to flourish in Pitino's system.

+1

I bet it's Mbakwe. Oh wait, you mean he isn't eligible for his 7th year? Damn the NCAA really is screwing him over.

Rumor has it these rumors aren't true.

Did Don Nelson win some games in the NBA with five guards or was it just four guards? Had a flurry of success in the playoffs one season? Anyway, if Malik Smith arrives we seem to be going that route. Much like had we landed Allerik Freeman. Malik did avg 14 points, but here we go, it was at FIU. Seems like we'd be pretty good at the guard position? And crowded.

Seems like we'd be pretty good at the guard position? And crowded.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Hollins, Hollins, and Ellenson (excelling on the Gopher track team) are going nowhere. Mathieu and McNeil just got here. The front court guys know there are big minutes to be had. So who's left? Coleman and Ahanmisi. Which one of those two do you think is more likely to gripe about their role and making sure they get enough PT, and which one will be a team player and embrace whatever role he earns?

If you've watched the Gophers the last 2 years, I think the answer is obvious.

I will eat my words if I'm wrong, but 1) It seems to be way to late to announce a transfer, you are really narrowing your options if you announce now. 2) I don't get all of the Joe Coleman hate, and discussion about how he pouts and will cry about coming of the bench. Is there something I should know about? Instances where he did do this?

If the rumors are coming from MN AAU coaches would it then be more likely it is a MN born player?

Also, could the late announcement coincide with graduation?

If its Coleman, that wouldn't surprise me. Would hate to see him leave but makes sense in that he has two more years left and is a decent player that would find a home somewhere. He is NOT a good ball handler and as such, he will lose some minutes to the new guys. Can't see Mav leaving. Senior year and ball all accounts really enjoys it here..

That said, if its Coleman, I wish he would change his mind as Pitino needs lots of bodies to throw at the other team.. his style will require depth at every position, but mainly guard.

Getting really sick of all the unsubstantiated speculation that Coleman wants out. Seems like a lot of "fans" want him to leave. How about we wait for some reports from an actual source before we start discussing any of this crap.

I thought the 15th was the last signing day, unless you graduated. Seems like odd timing.

Could Mav be close to graduating....hence willing to transfer for final year?

My debby downer instincts say Andre Hollins if someone transfers. He has 2 years of eligibility and he may not want to slide over to the 2. It's my opinion his best chance at an NBA career is if he can prove he can play the point.

Coleman would be dumb to transfer. He fits an open court style perfectly, plus he's already playing for his home school. He'll get his minutes in this system.

Mav would also be dumb to transfer. He'll get some minutes on a B1G team that's devoid of shooters. His options will never be this good, unless he is/has graduated and doesn't have to sit a year.

EE would be dumb to transfer because he already redshirted. Same goes for Mo and Buggs. The first 2 are poor fits for Pitino's system because they run in cement blocks but it still would be wise to see if Pitino changes it a bit when they're in the game. Buggs is possibly the least likely to transfer on this roster because of a myriad of reasons.

Austin Hollins would be dumb to transfer because he has one year of eligibility left and other than Coleman, he's the next best player on the roster for Pitino's system. He'll turn people over with the pressure and be the bailout outside shooter for the guards that penetrate.

Oto should transfer but nobody would blink an eye if he did so I don't think it would be him.

Wally is an interesting case. Still has his redshirt to burn but again I like Coleman and Hollins, I think he's best suited for a frantic pace. It would be a poor decision IMO if he were to transfer without at least giving this system a try.

My debby downer instincts say Andre Hollins if someone transfers. He has 2 years of eligibility and he may not want to slide over to the 2. It's my opinion his best chance at an NBA career is if he can prove he can play the point.

Coleman would be dumb to transfer. He fits an open court style perfectly, plus he's already playing for his home school. He'll get his minutes in this system.

Mav would also be dumb to transfer. He'll get some minutes on a B1G team that's devoid of shooters. His options will never be this good, unless he is/has graduated and doesn't have to sit a year.

EE would be dumb to transfer because he already redshirted. Same goes for Mo and Buggs. The first 2 are poor fits for Pitino's system because they run in cement blocks but it still would be wise to see if Pitino changes it a bit when they're in the game. Buggs is possibly the least likely to transfer on this roster because of a myriad of reasons.

Austin Hollins would be dumb to transfer because he has one year of eligibility left and other than Coleman, he's the next best player on the roster for Pitino's system. He'll turn people over with the pressure and be the bailout outside shooter for the guards that penetrate.

Oto should transfer but nobody would blink an eye if he did so I don't think it would be him.

Wally is an interesting case. Still has his redshirt to burn but again I like Coleman and Hollins, I think he's best suited for a frantic pace. It would be a poor decision IMO if he were to transfer without at least giving this system a try.

you are crazy. I would cry if that happened. Probably would renounce my Gopher allegiances and go to my home state and start cheering for Marquette or something....

This post alone is going to get you sent to my ignore list. Dre knows he is going to be the MAN on this team, Pitino has pretty much said as much. Plus, Dre has already said he IS NOT leaving.

I was unaware that Eliason was slow for a center until I read this thread. Amazing what one can "learn" here.

If state AAU coaches can't be a resource in Gopher recruiting the least they can do is keep their mouths shut and not start rumors. Rumor has it both Hollines are going to transfer to Memphis.

If state AAU coaches can't be a resource in Gopher recruiting the least they can do is keep their mouths shut and not start rumors. Rumor has it both Hollines are going to transfer to Memphis.

I'm going to call BS on that one, just can't see it happening. Does Memphis even have two scholarships open?

Top Bottom