Nice Strib article on the offensive line

Hope They Have Nimble Feet

Below all that "meat".

I hope Davis can "coach 'em up" a la former coach Shaw.

:cool02:

WHERE'S THE BEEF!!!!

ON THE MINNESOTA OFFENSIVE LINE THAT'S WHERE!!!

What are we doing on offense? Not a criticism. A genuine question. When I hear a coach say they are going to excel at running the spread and having a power running game--I'm left scratching my head.

Me nervous. Wait and see.

I keep thinkinf about how Spinal Tap decided they weren't a rock band anymore and launched their "Jazz Odyssey."

I don't think the spread and power running are mutually exclusive. You just need five great OLs to do that and believe that is the goal.

I think the spread is gone, despite the previous quotes from Brewster. It sounds to me like the QB is under center all the time these days. I expect to see the Bronco offense, for the most part. They'll spread the defense from time-to-time with multiple receiver sets, but they'll also go 2-tight with a FB, too.

I got a telemarketing call from Star Trib last night, and they asked me when the last time I read the trib. I said sometime when I got fed up with the sports section being in negative op ed piece that used the Gophers as a launching ground. The guy new his sale call was over and got off the phone.

What are we doing on offense? Not a criticism. A genuine question. When I hear a coach say they are going to excel at running the spread and having a power running game--I'm left scratching my head.

Me nervous. Wait and see.

I keep thinkinf about how Spinal Tap decided they weren't a rock band anymore and launched their "Jazz Odyssey."

Basically they're going to spread the field, but from under center most of the time. Like, you'll see a blend of 2 TE sets mixed with some 3 and 4 wide sets to give the offense some diversity. A lot of playaction type stuff. But you're not going to see in shotgun and run from that a whole lot. That's the impression I get at least. I like what I'm hearing personally, should yield a more consistent offense, which should also in turn really help the defense.

I think the spread is gone, despite the previous quotes from Brewster. It sounds to me like the QB is under center all the time these days. I expect to see the Bronco offense, for the most part. They'll spread the defense from time-to-time with multiple receiver sets, but they'll also go 2-tight with a FB, too.

I bet we'll still see some shotgun stuff. I'm thinking our offense will be pro-style, like most pro teams (well, those who aren't "zone" oriented, anyways). Giants & Steelers come to mind. QB operates mostly under center in traditional sets with a TE and FB, but will work from the gun (a "spread-like" offense) for a few series a game or when the situation calls for it (3rd and long). Ohio State might be a good example in the college ranks, actually. They run a ton of smash-mouth stuff from under center, but also plenty of spread and option stuff from the gun.

I have outrageously out of date views on how most college offenses should run. Unless you are an elite team, I think simpler is better. Do a couple of things really well rather than trying to outwit and out-finesse the opposition. We don't have the talent to excel at everything.

You can win a high school championship by mastering 8-10 plays. I'm convinced you can compete in college football with twice that number (allowing for formation variations, etc).

With Larry and MBIII we had about 2-3 running plays if you were really paying attention.

USC runs about 5-6 passing plays too. This is not the NFL.

The change in the offensive line

Is from zone blocking, or as Coach Davis said being a catchers mitt. Its a foot work, shielding, picking, stretch play. Played from your heals, and allows you some pass blocking. What he wants, what Coach Brewster wants, is a offensive line forward leaning, esplosive man blocking. Double teams, traps, old school smash mouth. That comes from a hand or forarm delivered to the chin strap. Its played with leverage and the ability to drive the pile back awards, or pancake the man. That change, that pounding may not be effective early, but keep pounding, and the fourth quarter is ours.

Now, then give a power running game, where is the spread. Its a change up, the defense wants to put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run? A series of spread against that will make the defense chose their poison.

But more importantly the power run game puts pressure on linebacking. The first response is stop the run, a step forward. This is where play action becomes a weapon. It requires great ball handling, faking, a pause, and throwing on time and accurately to a wide reciever on a post, a tightend on a cross, or a back on a deep circle.

Think Michigan 1970-2003.

Zone blocking doesn't have to mean "on your heels". Zone schemes were what Mason ran too. He just chose to have our lineman play in a more traditional fashion (i.e. not 2 point stance). What we're moving to definitely isn't that either, something you note and that Dom Alford referenced.

I have outrageously out of date views on how most college offenses should run. Unless you are an elite team, I think simpler is better. Do a couple of things really well rather than trying to outwit and out-finesse the opposition. We don't have the talent to excel at everything.

You can win a high school championship by mastering 8-10 plays. I'm convinced you can compete in college football with twice that number (allowing for formation variations, etc).

With Larry and MBIII we had about 2-3 running plays if you were really paying attention.

USC runs about 5-6 passing plays too. This is not the NFL.

I can think of the attack point being 2-3,(inside, off-tackle, outside). But the blocking up front was pretty varied, between trapping, pulling and straight zoning to name a few.

We had traps, counters, straight zones. We had stretches and short yardage zone versus Isoish looks.

Hallelujah! I like some gun in the offense, but much favor the three point power running o-line and the two running back backfield. Minnesota football may be back after two lost years...

Top Bottom