Bill Nye Question: Any Wind Pattern Data For TCF?

spermophilus

Reaction score
If this is buried in the stadium info on Gophersports.com, I can't recall seeing it, and am too lazy to search through it now. If anyone can point to a related section, thanks in advance . . . either way . . .

That asymmetrical opening on the west end at once gives TCF character and an identity and will undoubtedly have impacts on the kicking game on breezy or windy days.

The question is - will that make for more or less "swirling" winds. I have read that the "bowl" or "cookie cutter" stadium (see Giants Stadium) actually create more of a vortex than stadium that have one, or both, ends "open".

There's your topic. Talk amongst yourselves - but post your thoughts/knowledge please.

snl101myersrichman010704.jpg

it will be windy when the badgers come, because they really blow....theres a weak zinger on the house

Somebody on the board actually tried to figure that out a few months ago, I think it was rovertM. I can't be the only one who remembers. The scoreboard played a role too I believe.

More Important Than the Wind

Will be the sun angle. The design to present a money shot for TV, and the panorama of the campus and Minneapolis they rotated the stadium 90% from normal. Normally stadia are built to run north and south. The biggest reason, the sun. You can remember shadows cast from the south stands on to the field. But playing you seldom look into a setting sun, or looked back into the sun. Surely this will be more pronounced early in the season especially if it is a later kick off.

Secondly rain, sleet, snow. I know it seldom does during the college season. But being prepared both as a team and a fan is critical. What do you have in your gear for a day, like today. 35 degrees, rain, and wind about 10-15 miles per hour?

Somebody on the board actually tried to figure that out a few months ago, I think it was rovertM. I can't be the only one who remembers. The scoreboard played a role too I believe.

Someone posted images that showed the patterns. I'm pretty sure we were still on the Yuku board then. I don't have time to hunt them down but hopefully someone else will.

Husker70...

What do you have in your gear for a day, like today. 35 degrees, rain, and wind about 10-15 miles per hour?

A crazy obsession with sports, and a unmatched passion for gopher football and a trip to the nice warm weather of Pasadena...

Plus a couple hours of tailgating to get my liquid coat on and a during the game flask to keep the coat warm!

Will be the sun angle. The design to present a money shot for TV, and the panorama of the campus and Minneapolis they rotated the stadium 90% from normal. Normally stadia are built to run north and south. The biggest reason, the sun. You can remember shadows cast from the south stands on to the field. But playing you seldom look into a setting sun, or looked back into the sun. Surely this will be more pronounced early in the season especially if it is a later kick off.

Secondly rain, sleet, snow. I know it seldom does during the college season. But being prepared both as a team and a fan is critical. What do you have in your gear for a day, like today. 35 degrees, rain, and wind about 10-15 miles per hour?

My experience with the sun is it's not much of a factor. Or at least it's just as much of a factor for a N/S stadium in an afternoon game late in the fall as it is for an E/W stadium in an evening game.

Having gone to all but one game in the dome from 00-05, I remember a number of games in late Sept./early October with cold and rainy conditions. I think over the years we will see a number of early B10 games that are going to get sloppy...though never the kind of pounding rains that N'Western gets in October. Those are simply brutal.

Rovert M's wind model was very interesting. I had to scroll through the summary of posts at the top of the web page and click on a link for additional posts to find the post with the models.

It looks like a field goal or long pass coming towards the open end of the stadium in front of the huge score board could have some unusual currents that could cause some issues. Will they go towards or away from that corner based on wind conditions?

In regards to gear, I'm looking for quality GOLD rain gear (including pants) plus a real nice insulated winter jacket for the cold games. Any references will be welcome. Lots of gold is a must, I'm hoping they come up with a better and bigger line of products with the new stadium.

With all of the new technology, well prepared people shouldn't have any issues with game day conditions. One of my favorite games I attended included a down pour at Siebert for a baseball game versus Purdue. The game was delayed and some gophers were playing some (boilermakers?) in an impromtu game of some sort on the field and were sliding in the standing water and mud during the delay. It was pretty fun. It was April, but we had good rain gear and were perfectly comfortable. I feel bad for the Viking fans at the old Metropolitan stadium when it was really cold. They didn't have good insulation, there was no thinsulate, breathright.. I remember somebody telling me he had a non-insulated leather snowmobile suit for a game and it was the coldest he ever was. We've got great clothing options now and complainers should give up their season tickets. And standing, clapping, and stomping the feet encourage blood circulation so I'll be employing that.

My Gear?

Carhartt. Bibs, coat and hood. I would recommend a pair to all season ticket holders. You might need it once a year, or two but you will need it.
I say embrace the outdoors, but don't be unprepared.

I just wear my normal gear with extra layers when its cold. I'm more worried about rain. I've had to watch FB in huge downpours and there just isn't a good way to stay dry.

Its all worth it to be outside on the nice days though!

At the last game I was looking for a some "warm" outerwear and they said it would be something they would have a lot more selection on once we got to TCF.

Top Bottom