All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

USA Today: 5 things we learned Thursday at the NBA Top 100 Camp

1. Lincoln is the land of guards. Lincoln (Brooklyn) guard Isaiah Whitehead, an elite 2014 recruit, quickly established himself at the camp with his court vision and fast pace. He's following a proud tradition at his school, which has produced NBA guards Sebastian Telfair, Lance Stephenson, Jr., and Stephon Marbury.

"It's the coach, definitely, because he was a point guard himself," said Whitehead of Lincoln coach Dwayne "Tiny" Morton's propensity to produce point guards. "He's showed me the screen and roll and everything."

Whitehead averaged 22 points, eight rebounds and five assists a game while leading the Railsplitters to a Public Schools Athletic League AA championship this past season. Though he's considered a combo guard, his future may be at the point because he's big enough at 6-4 to fend off opposing defenders and has great anticipation.

"I can see plays ahead of time, where players are about to go and how a player is about to defend me," Whitehead said. "I don't think all these other guys here have been taught the same way I have."

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/art...rts+-+College+Men's+Basketball+-+Top+Stories)

Go Gophers!!

@ebosshoops: Isaiah Whitehead is playing like a man possessed. Easily backing up 5-star status. Punishing scorer. #NBPA

@Coach_Rick57: 6'4 Isaiah Whitehead is picking up where he left off this morning. His play has been outstanding.
#nbatop100

@coreyevans_10: Isaiah Whitehead just hit a scoring spurt that I dont know if anyone else in his class is capable of #nbatop100

@BSnowScout: Isaiah Whitehead can really, really score

Go Gophers!!

Soooo moral of the story is this kid is really good? Would be awesome to have him on the Gophers. Him and Rashad would be fun to watch together.

Soooo moral of the story is this kid is really good? Would be awesome to have him on the Gophers. Him and Rashad would be fun to watch together.

It would be a frickin juggernaut.

Crazy that a 5 star kid that isn't local is actually going to visit us. I still think it'll be tough to beat Syracuse and Louisville but it's still a positive step.

Crazy that a 5 star kid that isn't local is actually going to visit us. I still think it'll be tough to beat Syracuse and Louisville but it's still a positive step.

I hope he does. Next step (which would be huge) is actually getting him here for a visit.

I hope he does. Next step (which would be huge) is actually getting him here for a visit.

He pretty much already said he's coming here for a visit. Paraphrasing him from a recent interview, "I definitely want to get out to Minnesota to see what Coach Pitino has going on out there."

Edit: Found the quote, I was close.

“I’ll probably visit Louisville, back to Syracuse, Minnesota, I want to go out there and see what [Richard] Pitino got,” Whitehead said.

Whitehead and 2014 point guard Ja’Quan Newton both mentioned Minnesota, which is now getting much more heavily involved with East Coast players under Pitino and assistants Dan McHale and Kimani Young.

“[Minnesota said] that instead of going into a big program, you still have the spotlight there in Minnesota, but it’s like kind of shying away from the spotlight [in New York],” he said. “He came at me with a great recruitment.”

I’ll probably visit Louisville, back to Syracuse, Minnesota, I want to go out there and see what [Richard] Pitino got,” Whitehead said.

Whitehead and 2014 point guard Ja’Quan Newton both mentioned Minnesota, which is now getting much more heavily involved with East Coast players under Pitino and assistants Dan McHale and Kimani Young.

“[Minnesota said] that instead of going into a big program, you still have the spotlight there in Minnesota, but it’s like kind of shying away from the spotlight [in New York],” he said. “He came at me with a great recruitment.”

I stand by what I said. He said he'll probably visit Louisville, Syracuse, and Minnesota. Getting someone committed to a visit basically puts you in their top 5. Until Whitehead trims his list or sets up his visits, I'm not banking on getting a visit. Not trying to be pessimistic, just stating that it'd be huge to get him on our campus and then it's all fair game from there.

I’ll probably visit Louisville, back to Syracuse, Minnesota, I want to go out there and see what [Richard] Pitino got,” Whitehead said.

I stand by what I said. He said he'll probably visit Louisville, Syracuse, and Minnesota. Getting someone committed to a visit basically puts you in their top 5. Until Whitehead trims his list or sets up his visits, I'm not banking on getting a visit. Not trying to be pessimistic, just stating that it'd be huge to get him on our campus and then it's all fair game from there.

It's encouraging to know that Whitehead has always had positive words to say about Minnesota. Let's see where this relationship with him and Coach Pitino can go!

Don't tell Isaiah Whitehead that rankings don't matter.

The 6-foot-4 guard from Lincoln (NY) has seen his status drop from a five-star prospect into the 30s. At the 247 Sports Composite, he's No. 33 in the class of 2014.

“I want to move up in the rankings,” Whitehead said. “I think I belong in the top 25 at least.”

Whitehead has been proving himself as one of the top scoring guards in the country, finding ways to get points in a variety of ways. He makes difficult and contested shots better than anyone in the class, and has deep range on his outside jumper. Whitehead is aggressive with the ball and isn't afraid to drive into traffic. He also defends and has underrated vision.

Through the first three games of NBPA Top 100 camp, Whitehead has been consistent, scoring in double-figures in each contest. In fact, he's leading the camp in scoring heading into Friday night.

“All the guys out here that's ranked higher than me, I'm just going at them and showing everybody that I'm better than them,” Whitehead said.

In terms of recruiting, three are coming at him the hardest: Louisville, Syracuse and Minnesota.

“They're just great programs,” Whitehead said. “They have great coaches.”

St. John's and UCLA are also making an effort, but he wants to visit the aforementioned three after the July live period.

“Just a family atmosphere,” Whitehead said when asked what he's looking for in a school. “A great coach, my style of play, education, everything.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...h-whitehead-has-louisville-syracuse-minnesota

I'd love to see Whitehead in maroon and gold. He would be a huge get. I think it's interesting that he sees himself as a PG/combo guard. Depending on who else the Gophers get, they get field some interesting lineups throughout the game.

I don't think Newton has an offer from Syracuse or Louisville. Sounds like MN to me!

Was this prediction based off the cryptic tweet?? If so, may be a bit presumptive. Hopefully it happens tho!

Jerry Meyer says it was based on a hunch and "a little more", whatever that means. He's pretty plugged in though.

Jerry Meyer says it was based on a hunch and "a little more", whatever that means. He's pretty plugged in though.

Holy sh!t, I can get on board then. Just figured it was the local Gopher247 prediction.

Not to mention Newton has some history with Travis.

The 2013 NBPA Top 100 Camp came to an exciting conclusion on Saturday evening. After playing games in a round-robin style on the first two days, the teams battled through playoff rounds and Ja'Quan Newton and Reid Travis stole the show while leading their Celtics squad to a camp championship.

jaymil, do you have a link of where you saw Meyer write that?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Based on a tweet, a hunch and a little more, changed Crystal Ball picks for JaQuan Newton & Isaiah Whitehead. <a href="http://t.co/9AYj29zATo">http://t.co/9AYj29zATo</a></p>— Jerry Meyer (@jerrymeyer247) <a href="https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/statuses/350647156312514560">June 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Refresh, refresh, refresh...

Neither one of them has visited yet. I'll try curb my enthusiasm.

Top Bottom