All Things Isaiah Whitehead Thread UPDATED 9/18: Whitehead to Seton Hall

Music to my ears! Great to see Pitino and company pounding the pavement and going after the big guns.

That's something we rarely (if ever) heard under the previous regime. "Minnesota is one of the schools recruiting me the hardest" Obviously, we have to wait and see if Pitino gets results on the recruiting trail, but the effort is there.

That's something we rarely (if ever) heard under the previous regime. "Minnesota is one of the schools recruiting me the hardest" Obviously, we have to wait and see if Pitino gets results on the recruiting trail, but the effort is there.

I do believe A.J. Hammons said that at one point last summer, obviously still ended up at Purdue. Nbadraft.net currently projects him going to the NBA after his sophomore year and being taken mid-first round.

GopherHole tweet: "5-star SG Isaiah Whitehead (@Isaiah_W15) tells Mike Libert that #Gophers, Syracuse & Lville are "showing him the most love and attention."

Go Gophers!!

GopherHole tweet: "5-star SG Isaiah Whitehead (@Isaiah_W15) tells Mike Libert that #Gophers, Syracuse & Lville are "showing him the most love and attention."

Go Gophers!!

Father vs son. As Richard said, "Game on!".

Darn! If only I had said "Game on!" too, then I could have finally received my first +1 :p

Great to see all the talk and Coach Pitino's aggressive style but going after guys that are talented shouldn't deserve praise getting players with talent should. I don't say this to be a jerk but we are to quick to heap on the praise for what should be expected. It's like watching a team get beat by 25 points and hear the line "they played really hard". Well they should play hard no matter what saying that they played hard indicates that they don't at other times. I respect what coach Pitino is trying to do but before we go heaping the praise on the guy lets see him get some results.

Great to see all the talk and Coach Pitino's aggressive style but going after guys that are talented shouldn't deserve praise getting players with talent should. I don't say this to be a jerk but we are to quick to heap on the praise for what should be expected. It's like watching a team get beat by 25 points and hear the line "they played really hard". Well they should play hard no matter what saying that they played hard indicates that they don't at other times. I respect what coach Pitino is trying to do but before we go heaping the praise on the guy lets see him get some results.

I hear what you're saying, but it's May. None of these threads will mean much if we don't see results on the basketball court. Because it's May and we are all Gopher sports nuts, we are going to talk about something. Will us being in the top 3 for Isiah Whitehead mean much if we are 4-12 in the Big 10 in February? Of course not.

As to your main point, I agree. But we are stuck (because of this time of year) with looking towards signs things are improving. One of the criticisms of the last staff was that they weren't tireless recruiters. I don't know if it's fair or not, but that is a criticism that is thrown around. So seeing signs that this staff is recruiting really hard is a positive sign, in and of itself. As you said, a team should play hard regardless, but a coaching staff should recruit hard regardless. So if Pitino's staff is recruiting harder than Tubby's staff, that's a signficant improvement.

I hear what you're saying, but it's May. None of these threads will mean much if we don't see results on the basketball court. Because it's May and we are all Gopher sports nuts, we are going to talk about something. Will us being in the top 3 for Isiah Whitehead mean much if we are 4-12 in the Big 10 in February? Of course not.

As to your main point, I agree. But we are stuck (because of this time of year) with looking towards signs things are improving. One of the criticisms of the last staff was that they weren't tireless recruiters. I don't know if it's fair or not, but that is a criticism that is thrown around. So seeing signs that this staff is recruiting really hard is a positive sign, in and of itself. As you said, a team should play hard regardless, but a coaching staff should recruit hard regardless. So if Pitino's staff is recruiting harder than Tubby's staff, that's a signficant improvement.

If we really truly legitimately are in the top 3 for a 5-star out-of-town recruit, than that in itself is an achievement. You have to go back to Dutcher to find the Gophers in the mix for this type and quantity of talent outside of the state. And this after only several weeks on the job for the new coach, and in the midst of assembling a new staff. I hope people appreciate what's going on here.

Sorry this was more of a comment on sports in general. Long day yesterday coaching other sports. It just seems we give to much credit for doing what should be done. I understand its May and we dont have to much else to talk about at this point. Until the schedule comes out and we can complain about who is coming to the Barn what else is their to talk about.

Other than Cory Joseph, who's bro was on the team, did Tubby ever have an out of state 5-star player like Whitehead mentioning us among his top 3 suitors? I know Tubby went after Barnes but I don't think we were ever that heralded by him.

Other than Cory Joseph, who's bro was on the team, did Tubby ever have an out of state 5-star player like Whitehead mentioning us among his top 3 suitors? I know Tubby went after Barnes but I don't think we were ever that heralded by him.

I think it's awesome that our name is mentioned among three that are recruiting him the hardest. I'm not sure it's the same as being in the top 3. Maybe by default. That said, ill take it in a heartbeat. If we keep after him we are bound to still be involved in a year. The key is the first big recruit. Hopefully that kid will open the floodgates.

One thing is sure. Pitino is gettin after it. Love it.

I think it's awesome that our name is mentioned among three that are recruiting him the hardest. I'm not sure it's the same as being in the top 3. Maybe by default. That said, ill take it in a heartbeat. If we keep after him we are bound to still be involved in a year. The key is the first big recruit. Hopefully that kid will open the floodgates.

One thing is sure. Pitino is gettin after it. Love it.

I didn't say top 3, I said "among his top 3 suitors," as in we are one of the three teams pursuing him the hardest.

@evandanielsfox: Isaiah Whitehead has it Rollin' from deep today. Hit 5 triples in the first half.

Go Gophers!!

@collegebbnews: Minnesota target Isaiah Whitehead is not on Minnesota with NJ Playaz. He is playing with the Juice All Stars this weekend.

Go Gophers!!

Clem was in the mix for numerous players like this: Webber, Iverson, Wrenn...

Clem was in the mix for numerous players like this: Webber, Iverson, Wrenn...

Well documented reasons why neither Webber nor Wrenn became Gophers...but Clem was the "cheater" LOL

Ten schools now listed as high interest for Whitehead, and we're not one of them.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Isaiah-Whitehead-120978

Wouldn't read anything in to that at all. Here's another link: http://sujuiceonline.com/2013/05/22/minnesota-making-push-for-isaiah-whitehead-cuse-clicks/

I do think it will be tough to beat out Syracuse and Louisville for the kid if those are his two leaders. Would make quite an early impression if Pitino could beat out his dad and Syracuse for an East Coast kid.

@adamzagoria: Give Minnesota credit. Kids like Isaiah Whitehead, Ja'Quan Newton, others all mentioning Richard Pitino's program.

Go Gophers!!

Here is a great article where it looks like Pitino made a big impression on Isaiah. He said he wants to come out here and take a visit. I already like what I'm seeing by Pitino and staff on the recruiting front.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/whitehead-drills-seven-3s-talks-schools/#more-97389

And this is probably why Macura hasn't been offered yet. Pitino must feel like he at least has a shot with guys like Vaughn and Whitehead. As of now, Macura is a fall back option.

Here is a great article where it looks like Pitino made a big impression on Isaiah. He said he wants to come out here and take a visit. I already like what I'm seeing by Pitino and staff on the recruiting front.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/whitehead-drills-seven-3s-talks-schools/#more-97389

Thanks for the link. Here's a few good quotes from it:

“I’ll probably visit Louisville, back to Syracuse, Minnesota, I want to go out there and see what [Richard] Pitino got,” Whitehead said.

Whitehead and 2014 point guard Ja’Quan Newton both mentioned Minnesota, which is now getting much more heavily involved with East Coast players under Pitino and assistants Dan McHale and Kimani Young.

“[Minnesota said] that instead of going into a big program, you still have the spotlight there in Minnesota, but it’s like kind of shying away from the spotlight [in New York],” he said. “He came at me with a great recruitment.”

Go Gophers!!

Huge news that Pitino is getting a visit from Whitehead. Might be the best out of state kid to visit since Darius Miles?

Huge news that Pitino is getting a visit from Whitehead. Might be the best out of state kid to visit since Darius Miles?

Agreed. Even though he lists Louisville and Cuse as the leaders, he has nice things to say about the Gophers and mainly Pitino. Just getting him out here legitimizes us a little more to other big recruits. Good news indeed.

Where is Parski to say something like Tubby would have gotten a visit as well?

Top Bottom