All Things 2013-2014 College Basketball Schedule Analysis Thread (Updated Regularly)

Wow, what a weak field. I guess the Virgin Islands aren't what they used to be.

Kentucky nonconference schedule (COMPLETE #1)

One thing I like about Slick Cal is he usually gets his nonconference schedule done early. Smart to schedule two games for his young squad before the match-up with MSU. Izzo would be wise to do the same.

KENTUCKY
Nov. 8: NORTH CAROLINA-ASHEVILLE
Nov. 10: NORTHERN KENTUCKY
Nov. 12: vs. Michigan State (Champions Classic/Chicago)
Nov. 17: ROBERT MORRIS (Keightley Classic)
Nov. 19: TEXAS-ARLINGTON (Keightley Classic)
Nov. 25: CLEVELAND STATE (Keightley Classic)
Nov. 27: EASTERN MICHIGAN (Keightley Classic)
Dec. 1: vs. Providence (Brooklyn)
Dec. 6: vs. Baylor (Big 12-SEC Challenge/Arlington)
Dec. 10: BOISE STATE
Dec. 14: @ North Carolina
Dec. 21: BELMONT
Dec. 28: LOUISVILLE

Exempt Tournament: Keightley Classic -- 5-team round-robin includes Cleveland State, Eastern Michigan, Robert Morris, and Texas-Arlington.

2013 NCAA Qualifiers (5): Belmont, Boise State, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina

Postseason Final 4 (or better): Louisville (NCAA champs), Baylor (NIT champs)

Top-100 Opponents (7): Louisville (3), Michigan State (8), North Carolina (17), Belmont (19), Boise State (41), Baylor (70), Providence (90)

Currently Projected into Joe Lunardi's 2014 Field of 68 (6): Baylor, Belmont, Boise State, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina

Average RPI of Opponents: 108.923

I'd say their non-conf. S.O.S looks to be about #1 in the country right now.

I'd say their non-conf. S.O.S looks to be about #1 in the country right now.

Yes, early leader in the clubhouse.

I'd expect Florida and Kansas' will be right up there, too. Among the heavyweights, Billy D and Self always seem to put together a formidable non-league slate.

KENTUCKY
Nov. 8: NORTH CAROLINA-ASHEVILLE
Nov. 10: NORTHERN KENTUCKY
Nov. 12: vs. Michigan State (Champions Classic/Chicago)
Nov. 17: ROBERT MORRIS (Keightley Classic)
Nov. 19: TEXAS-ARLINGTON (Keightley Classic)
Nov. 25: CLEVELAND STATE (Keightley Classic)
Nov. 27: EASTERN MICHIGAN (Keightley Classic)
Dec. 1: vs. Providence (Brooklyn)
Dec. 6: vs. Baylor (Big 12-SEC Challenge/Arlington)
Dec. 10: BOISE STATE
Dec. 14: @ North Carolina
Dec. 21: BELMONT
Dec. 28: LOUISVILLE

If Kentucky doesn't win at least one of those Michigan St, North Carolina, Louisville games then they better make quite a bit of noise in conference play.

All those schedules, show why these teams make deep tournament runs. They are battle tested throughout the season. The gophers walk through the non conference schedule against schools like North Florida and struggle against B1G teams. Hopefully once contracts to play certain teams ends Pitino or a future coach schedules more respectable opponents.

All those schedules, show why these teams make deep tournament runs. They are battle tested throughout the season. The gophers walk through the non conference schedule against schools like North Florida and struggle against B1G teams. Hopefully once contracts to play certain teams ends Pitino or a future coach schedules more respectable opponents.

The gophers non conference schedule was pretty respectable last year. Over all SOS was also very strong.

Robert Morris :(

Robert Morris should've pulled a Costanza and quit playing UK on a high note.

SS, I had read that while they scrapped the idea of playing four games at once, they are still thinking of playing 4 games at Jerry World in Arlington to begin the season - supposedly four of the teams that will be involved will be from the Big 12. Any idea (using process of elimination) what the other 4 teams might be?

The gophers non conference schedule was pretty respectable last year. Over all SOS was also very strong.

The strength of schedule came from playing in the B1G which put the second most teams in the NCAA tournament behind the Big East. After the Battle in Atlantis, our best non conference win was FSU. And FSU lost in the first round of the NIT.

The strength of schedule came from playing in the B1G which put the second most teams in the NCAA tournament behind the Big East. After the Battle in Atlantis, our best non conference win was FSU. And FSU lost in the first round of the NIT.

I hate the "take away our three best opponents" argument

Wrong. They had the #13 OOC SOS last year. #4 overall.

SS, I had read that while they scrapped the idea of playing four games at once, they are still thinking of playing 4 games at Jerry World in Arlington to begin the season - supposedly four of the teams that will be involved will be from the Big 12. Any idea (using process of elimination) what the other 4 teams might be?

Haven't heard anything regarding who'll be the 8 teams.

Notre Dame

So far Mike Brey uncharacteristically is building a strong & RPI-cognizant schedule.

@ Iowa
vs. Indiana (Crossroads Classic/Conseco Fieldhouse)
vs. Ohio State (Gotham Classic/Barclays Center)

Also have a home tilt vs. likely Summit League favorite NDSU as part of the Gotham Classic.

Michigan States schedule isn't fully set yet but we do know some of the key games

UNC @ MSU
@Texas
Kentucky (played in Chicago)
2 out of 3 of Oklahoma, Seton Hall and Virginia Tech

And Izzo is trying to put together a game against Gonzaga that we'd play out west.

And Izzo is trying to put together a game against Gonzaga that we'd play out west.

Yes, I see Mark Hollis is trying for a one-day doubleheader honoring Jud with MSU vs. Gonzaga/Montana vs. Wazzu, but the Wazzu coach hasn't committed to it.

How's Jud doing? I hear he's been in ill health?

Yes, I see Mark Hollis is trying for a one-day doubleheader honoring Jud with MSU vs. Gonzaga/Montana vs. Wazzu, but the Wazzu coach hasn't committed to it.

How's Jud doing? I hear he's been in ill health?

I honestly don't know how Jud is. Last I heard on a different board, Izzo/Hollis are trying to push this double header in honor of Jud because he's getting up there and they aren't sure how much longer he'll be around.

Bucknell nonconference schedule (COMPLETE #2)

BUCKNELL
Nov. 8: @ Stanford
Nov. 13: @ Penn State
Nov. 16: SAINT FRANCIS-PA
Nov. 19: @ Saint John’s
Nov. 23: @ Albany
Nov. 26: @ Mount Saint Mary’s
Nov. 30: PRINCETON
Dec. 4: @ Kent State
Dec. 7: COLUMBIA
Dec. 21: @ Marist
Dec. 28: FAIRFIELD

Exempt Tournament: no

2013 NCAA Qualifiers (1): Albany

Postseason Final 4 (or better): none

Top-100 Opponents (2): Stanford (77), Saint John's (94)

Currently Projected into Joe Lunardi's 2014 Field of 68 (2): Mount Saint Mary's, Stanford

Average RPI of Opponents: 172.636

Wisconsin to open vs. St. John's....in Sioux Falls. A good get to open the new arena. Wish the Gophers could have figured out a way to get this game...

http://kelo.com/news/articles/2013/...erwolves-to-visit-sanford-pentagon-this-fall/

Did you notice the name of Sanford's president and CEO, Kelby Krabbenhoft? Pretty sure that's former Badger Joe Krabbenhoft's father.

Bo is putting together a strong schedule. Already have Florida (home), Marquette (home), Saint John's (neutral), and Virginia (road) on the docket.

Did you notice the name of Sanford's president and CEO, Kelby Krabbenhoft? Pretty sure that's former Badger Joe Krabbenhoft's father.

Bo is putting together a strong schedule. Already have Florida (home), Marquette (home), Saint John's (neutral), and Virginia (road) on the docket.

Kelby is Joe's father.

UW also has St. Louis and then the winner/loser of West Virginia and Old Dominion in an event in Cancun. Definitely a very solid non-conference next season for the Badgers.

Kelby is Joe's father.

UW also has St. Louis and then the winner/loser of West Virginia and Old Dominion in an event in Cancun. Definitely a very solid non-conference next season for the Badgers.

Are those parings for the Cancun Challenge official? Heard who the 4 teams are, but didn't know they had already paired them up? Any idea who the Badgers' preliminary Cancun opponents (in Madison) will be?

2013-2014 schedule update

Per Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel at http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/207452071.html

The league's full list of single-plays:

Illinois: Michigan, Purdue, at Northwestern, at Minnesota
Indiana: Ohio State, Iowa, at Purdue, at Minnesota
Iowa: Purdue, Nebraska, at Penn State, at Indiana
Michigan: Northwestern, Penn State, at Ohio State, at Illinois
Michigan State: Nebraska, Minnesota, at Purdue, at Wisconsin
Minnesota: Indiana, Illinois, at Michigan State, at Nebraska
Nebraska: Wisconsin, Minnesota, at Iowa, at Michigan State
Northwestern: Illinois, Penn State, at Ohio State, at Michigan
Ohio State: Michigan, Northwestern, at Wisconsin, at Indiana
Penn State: Iowa, Wisconsin, at Michigan, at Northwestern
Purdue: Indiana, Michigan State, at Illinois, at Iowa