All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Apparently the Gophers have offered 6'7 PF Josh Martin out of Bothell, Washington

From ESPN NCAA Men's Rumors
Last week we mentioned that Washington could have the inside track on athletic combo forward Josh Martin (Bothell, Wash./Bothell High), but a new list of impressive offers may have changed the big man's plans.

Marshall Cherrington, a contributor to Dawgman.com, reported that Florida State offered Martin a scholarship on Monday, joining Washington State, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, Gonzaga and Nevada as the schools that have already offered.

For a while, it seemed like Martin would be the Huskies' to lose, considering that he's right in their own backyard. But with interest in the 6-foot-7, 210-pounder now expanding considerably, Martin could become more difficult for Lorenzo Romar and his staff to land. We'll let you know when we hear more about Martin's plans for visits.

None of the recruiting websites that I have seen show the offers, so I'm not sure when this was.

per Sid:

Sandy Cohen, a 6-5 point guard from Seymour, Wis., is getting more scholarship offers following his terrific play in the EYBL. Cohen told NBC Sports that he was only getting offers from mid-majors before some breakout performances, including a 24-point, six-rebound game in a victory over Howard Pulley in April. Cohen has been offered a scholarship by the Gophers and Marquette, and teams such as UCLA have been in contact with him.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/208762061.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Marcus blog: Gophers recruiting: Wisconsin PG Sandy Cohen: “I really like coach Pitino”

“I really like coach Pitino. He’s a really nice guy,” Cohen said Friday night. “I like the new style of play he’s trying to bring to the Big Ten. I really like him. I definitely plan on taking a visit to Minnesota.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...in-pg-sandy-cohen-i-really-like-coach-pitino/

Go Gophers!!

@Evan_Flood: Madison (Wis.) West Guard Malik Clements heard from #Minnesota today, setting up visit for June. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily: Gophers' target Cohen garnering plenty of attention this spring

The Gophers staff is making a concerted effort to attract Cohen.

“I talk to [Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino] at least once or twice a week,” Cohen said, “but I keep in contact with assistants probably daily.”

Building relationships is important to Cohen during the recruiting process.

“I think it’s really important -- that’s probably the most important thing is a place where I feel comfortable,” Cohen said, “if I find a coach that I really like and I know he’ll be there all four years that I’m at the college.”

Cohen thinks Pitino’s up-and-down style suites his game.

“I think that fits perfect,” he said. “I like up-tempo, quick pace -- that’s really cool -- I like that.”

http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/upon-f...arget-cohen-garnering-plenty-attention-spring

Go Gophers!!

@SHSThunder Congrats to the new D2 state track triple jump champ @SandyCohenIII

Go Gophers!!

@adamzagoria: Give Minnesota credit. Kids like Isaiah Whitehead, Ja'Quan Newton, others all mentioning Richard Pitino's program.

Go Gophers!!

Pangos Day Two: Chris Sandifer keeps scoring; 16 standouts

Sixteen standouts through two days

-- Rashad Vaughn, 2014: While he forced things at times, Vaughn is downright unguardable when his shot is falling.

-- Terry Larrier, 2014: Great size for the wing -- showed the ability to knock down jumpers, crash glass and finish in the lane.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...hris-sandifer-keeps-scoring-sixteen-standouts

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Checking in with Sandy Cohen

I know the Gophers offered you recently. What was your reaction to that? I like coach Pitino. I like that new style of play he’s trying to bring to the Big Ten, that kind of up-tempo pace. I really like coach Pitino. He’s a cool guy.

When did he reach out to you? A couple weeks ago, right after [the] Virginia [EYBL session in late April].

And did he offer then? Yeah, he offered right away.

How much have you been talking to them since? They kind of contact me every day, a text here, a text there. I talk to assistants, too, sometimes.

A month ago you didn’t have any of this craziness right? Only a couple of schools had offered you scholarships? Yeah, before EYBL I only had two offers, now I’ve got up to 10.

That’s got to feel pretty good. Yeah, it does. It’s kind of like all the hard work is finally paying off. It’s nice.

How are you handling all of the new attention? It’s crazy. I’m on the phone a couple hours a night. Sometimes it’s a hassle, but it’s a good thing. It means it’s all working. It means it’s all paying off.

Now you have a lot more to the decision you’ll have to make. Any kind of timeline? I think I’m going to start taking visits as soon as school is over, so probably in June.

Have you thought about stopping by Minnesota campus while you’re in town [last weekend?] I was going to but coach Pitino said that he wanted to do it right, so maybe that means an official visit.

What are the other schools that are interested? Marquette, Memphis, LaSalle, Providence, Wake Forest, I can’t really think of them all off the top of my head. [Also George Washington, Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Creigton].

Are any of those schools going at you the hardest? Probably Marquette. Marquette probably the strongest.

Does playing close to home matter for you? It’s not really that big of a deal. I kind of just want to find a place where I feel comfortable.

Had you heard at all from previous staff, from Tubby Smith and those guys? No.

What is it about Minnesota that you like? I think that’s a good fit. I like up-tempo pace, I really like that, so I think I would be a really good fit in his offense.

I know you play a little bit of everything. Which position do you like the best? 2-guard

Is that what you play most often? Yeah. But I don’t mind if I play the point. I’m kind of versatile with the 1 and the 3.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/210100331.html

Go Gophers!!

Interesting tid-bit from Marcus:

– Huntington Prep (W.V.) point guard Josh Perkins, who is from Denver, was another Gophers’ prime 2014 target who shined at the Pangos camp. Perkins has great size at 6-3, and his scoring ability and court vision make him a potential star at the next level. He’s supposed to be very interested in playing with Vaughn in prep school and college. It’s also been speculated that if the Gophers were to land Vaughn, then Perkins might just follow him because he’s considering Minnesota as well. That scenario is probably a long shot, but that would no doubt ease the blow when the Gophers lose out on Jones.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...d-in-la-confirms-rashad-vaughns-elite-status/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting tid-bit from Marcus:

– Huntington Prep (W.V.) point guard Josh Perkins, who is from Denver, was another Gophers’ prime 2014 target who shined at the Pangos camp. Perkins has great size at 6-3, and his scoring ability and court vision make him a potential star at the next level. He’s supposed to be very interested in playing with Vaughn in prep school and college. It’s also been speculated that if the Gophers were to land Vaughn, then Perkins might just follow him because he’s considering Minnesota as well. That scenario is probably a long shot, but that would no doubt ease the blow when the Gophers lose out on Jones.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...d-in-la-confirms-rashad-vaughns-elite-status/

Go Gophers!!

Looks like Perkins and Vaughn both have offers/interest in Minnesota, UCLA, and Kansas. Obviously the key would be keeping Vaughn home and Perkins would make one heck of a running mate.

P.S. Who is this clown doing these "247" rankings? Vaughn just won MVP at an elite camp in LA with many of the top players, and this guy drops him 5 spots in his rankings.

P.S. Who is this clown doing these "247" rankings? Vaughn just won MVP at an elite camp in LA with many of the top players, and this guy drops him 5 spots in his rankings.

Probably Jerry Meyer. He's actually a fairly big name in college hoops recruiting. Was the main guy at Rivals before becoming the main guy at 247.

Putting a link to HoopDreams Josh Perkins article here as well: Josh Perkins Visits UCLA, Gonzaga Next

Perkins listed UCLA, USC, Gonzaga and Minnesota are recruiting him the hardest, and said Kentucky, Syracuse and UConn are newly in the mix.

“Style of play is huge and knowing the coaches isn’t going to go anywhere if I go there, and just caring for me on and off the court,” he said.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/josh-perkins-visits-ucla-gonzaga-next/

Go Gophers!!

Isn't there speculation that Cohen and Vaughn may want to play together as well since they are playing on the same AAU team? Let's just take Vaughn, Cohen, and Perkins. Then throw in Reid.

Isn't there speculation that Cohen and Vaughn may want to play together as well since they are playing on the same AAU team? Let's just take Vaughn, Cohen, and Perkins. Then throw in Reid.

Curious, but it seems Pitino and his staff are far more active then Tubby and his staff was, sounds as if Pitino has a couple dozen offers out on players for the next two years. Is Pitino really more active, or is everyone stalking his every move being a new coach, new style, younger coach, the name, etc.?

Read that Ohio State already has 4 high level recruits signed for 2014 including shooting guard 24th ESPN ranked Russell. We will know that Coach P has it rolling when he can do the same. Let's start with VAugn and Reid!

Russell will probably play a combo guard role, with the majority of his minutes in college at PG most likely. They need him more at PG than SG.

Sounds like Wade Baldwin will be taking a visit to Minnesota at the end of the summer/early fall and will most likely attend a football game.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/baldwin-says-six-schools-working-the-hardest/

“I’m probably going to be visiting the six after me the hardest probably is Stanford, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Minnesota and Vanderbilt, too,” Baldwin told SNY.tv after scoring 10 points as Sports U beat the Playaz Basketball Club, 66-53, in the Rumble in the Bronx semifinals at Basketball City. Sports U ultimately lost in the championship game to Deron Williams Elite 76-63.

Baldwin said he would try and get to a football game at “either Penn State or Minnesota” in late August.

Minnesota hosts UNLV Aug. 29 and Penn State’s first home game is Sept. 7 against Eastern Michigan.

As mentioned in this recent story, Minnesota has been making tremendous inroads with Northeastern players like Baldwin, Isaiah Whitehead, who had 17 points for the Playaz in the loss, and Philly point guard Ja’Quan Newton.

“The coach at Seton Hall [Dan McHale] was recruiting me real hard at Seton Hall,” Baldwin said. “He went over and the first day he was the coach, he offered me a scholarship at Minnesota with [Coach Richard Pitino, so he kept in good touch.”

Go Gophers!!

@tim_fontenault: 2014 four-star recruit Wade Baldwin lists Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Penn State, Seton Hall, Georgia Tech, Stanford and UConn.

Go Gophers!!

@RyanEllerbusch: Recently talked to 2014 @SandyCohenIII (Seymour, WI) who visited Marquette on Sunday. "I think I may take a visit to Minnesota pretty soon."

@therecruitscoop: Minnesota, Georgia Southern & Tennessee Tech have recently offered 2014 PG

of the Upward Stars (SC).

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Holy Angels/D1 Minnesota SG Delshon Strickland just said he was Offered by Virginia Tech and heard from Florida, Georgetown and Baylor</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/346015040249405440">June 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has anyone watched him play?

Top Bottom