All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Watching Martin's Highlight reels gives me no pause to think he would be wasted at the 3 if needed. His highlights show his athleticism almost exclusively, not his posting ability. I know he put up other world type numbers in the rebound column that would suggest he is a beast in the post, and I'm not refuting that. I just think given what we have from a roster standpoint, he could fill in just as well as a Buggs or a Joey King could at the 3 if it comes down to it.

I would NOT put him in the paint 100% of the time, that would waste his "strength/athleticism/tenacity more than "putting him on the perimeter" would. Kid is going to be a mismatch, and a weapon if he can knockdown a jumper.

Why is he only a 3 star recruit then? If his jumpshot was a big asset he would likely be higher rated. I hope he can develop it.

Why is he only a 3 star recruit then?

Don't know and don't really care.

As I said. His tapes show he has the speed and athleticism to cause problems going to the hole. If he's 6'9" or bigger and still can move well, (I haven't seen him play) given our current situation, I think he could be an option along with a bunch of our other options at the 3 in a pinch.

Again, I'm not saying Martin is a 3, this chain of comments started when we were talking about how we only have 5 players to play 3 positions, which I disagree with.

gotcha

Agreed, but did they play the 3 last year? The main difference would be one is setting screens and the other is setting up for outside shots/slashing to the hoop.

Well Buggs hardly played. He's not very good at the four, can't dribble, defend a SF and I don't think his outside shot is very good or consistent despite the 5 or 7 threes he hit last season (small sample size/ one hot handed game). If he's not a very good 4, I see little reason to believe he will do much better at the 3.

Did King find himself in the same spots a 3 would be in while running through offensive sets? Absolutely.

Don't know and don't really care.

As I said. His tapes show he has the speed and athleticism to cause problems going to the hole. If he's 6'9" or bigger and still can move well, (I haven't seen him play) given our current situation, I think he could be an option along with a bunch of our other options at the 3 in a pinch.

Again, I'm not saying Martin is a 3, this chain of comments started when we were talking about how we only have 5 players to play 3 positions, which I disagree with.

There is only enough tape on Josh to get yourself in to trouble evaluating him. Every report I've seen from people who have seen him in person says his pro's are his tenacity and strength. He can get away with playing on the perimeter, but that is not how I would utilize him.

I'm sure the staff are going to be working with all three of these guys (King,Martin, Buggs) all summer to see who is the best fit and who can develop into a spell wing player.
They are probably gonna only run certain offensive sets and mix in some zone defense for these guys when they are asked to do so.

Personally I think one will emerge as a solid option for limited wing minutes just not sure who it will be.

I like martins desire to play and develop his wing game.
I think Joey can shoot well enough to keep the D honest.
Buggs is an athletic freak that can cause match up problems and who knows maybe his jumper is better or more consistent than we give him credit for.

I'm sure the staff will be busy this summer working with these guys and helping them maximize potential at all positions.

Buggs is an athletic freak that can cause match up problems and who knows maybe his jumper is better or more consistent than we give him credit for.

Is he really a freak athlete? I must of missed it when he was flying above the rim blocking shots, dunking over people or pulling down boards head and shoulders above others... I think he gets way too much credit for the few shots he hit last year on this board too.

From what I've seen in person he seems freakishly athletic.

Looks freakish at this midnight madness vid to me, but I guess if you judge from the vid you'd probably say he is a capable 3 point shooter too. (Not saying he is or isn't, I think the jury is out)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJAFzt983ao

Per Matt Jessen-Howard:

- There’s an Egyptian named Youssef Omar that will be a freshman at the U next year and try to walk-on. Omar also has trained with Egypt’s U-21s but never appeared in a game or been officially put on their roster. He told me that he averaged 29.3 points, 7.8 assists, and 3.4 rebounds per game, and shot 67.3% from the floor, 54% from the 3-point line, and 91.2% from the free throw line. I’m assuming he played horrible competition.

http://go4report.com/post-eybl-dinkytown-dirt-eybl-recap/

Per Matt Jessen-Howard:

- There’s an Egyptian named Youssef Omar that will be a freshman at the U next year and try to walk-on. Omar also has trained with Egypt’s U-21s but never appeared in a game or been officially put on their roster. He told me that he averaged 29.3 points, 7.8 assists, and 3.4 rebounds per game, and shot 67.3% from the floor, 54% from the 3-point line, and 91.2% from the free throw line. I’m assuming he played horrible competition.

http://go4report.com/post-eybl-dinkytown-dirt-eybl-recap/

You mean this guy: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Yussef

We were in on Eubanks for a while:

Former American Heritage basketball star Kobe Eubanks sues school

Kobe Eubanks, a three- to four-star-rated shooting guard, and his father Clayton Eubanks filed a lawsuit against Plantation American Heritage School on Sept.19 for at least $75,000 alleging grade manipulation cost Eubanks a scholarship to Baylor University.

The 6-5 Eubanks committed to Baylor, one of more than 10 schools recruiting him, after spending his senior year at Centereach (New York) Our Savior New American School. He transferred there after two years at American Heritage, during which he made the Miami Herald’s second-team All-Broward. ESPN rated him a four-star recruit, and 247sports.com rated him a three-star recruit.

The suit claims that American Heritage provided Our Savior with a transcript that stated Eubanks’ grade-point average upon leaving American Heritage was 2.5, then later another transcript that put his GPA at 2.37, but certified to Our Savior that the 2.5 transcript was correct. The different numbers, the suit alleges, came from Eubanks’ grades being altered.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-broward/article2361024.html

Go Gophers!!

Does a 2.37 vs 2.5 GPA really cost you $75,000 and a scholarship?

With the way Scott Drew recruits, they should probably be suing for more. ;)

He needs to get in touch with Derrick Rose's people. Now THOSE guys were professionals at altering transcripts.

Gotta sue to protect the American Dream of being able to get by with the bare minimum!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom