All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

You have an interesting definition of relatively consistent success.

We all know the badgers have recently been more successful than the Gophers, but I don't really think uw has had THAT much success. Sure, they've figured out a formula that bores their way to a top 4 finish in the conference and are a 'scary' opponent in the tourny. But, they are nothing more than the Temple of this generation. No actual contender is excited to face them in the first couple rounds, but they don't actually scare anybody. Bo Ryan has done a tremendous job of maximizing sub par talent, but he has topped out and will never be in the same conversation as Michigan, MSU, OSU, and Indiana....even when they sneak ahead of one these teams in the standings they will forever be in a lower tier.

We all know the badgers have recently been more successful than the Gophers, but I don't really think uw has had THAT much success. Sure, they've figured out a formula that bores their way to a top 4 finish in the conference and are a 'scary' opponent in the tourny. But, they are nothing more than the Temple of this generation. No actual contender is excited to face them in the first couple rounds, but they don't actually scare anybody. Bo Ryan has done a tremendous job of maximizing sub par talent, but he has topped out and will never be in the same conversation as Michigan, MSU, OSU, and Indiana....even when they sneak ahead of one these teams in the standings they will forever be in a lower tier.

Agreed. Take all the top 4 finishes you want, but I will take a team that is built more for the post season any day of the week. You need athletes and skill to go against the big boys, and Bo has never been able to recruit enough athletes to be a serious contender in the big dance.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Via Rivals
WADE BALDWIN (3 star)
Shooting guard
Metuchen, New Jersey
St. Joseph's
Ht:6'3"
Wt:180 lbs
Strength:Good
Class:2014 (High School)

Has 12 offers, Harvard, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn St., Rice, Richmond, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. Joseph's, Temple, VCU, Virginia Tech

Also has been receiving interest from but hasn't received an offer from, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Stanford, Miami (FL), Memphis, Maryland, Kansas, Indiana, Georgetown, Cincinnati

Via Rivals
WADE BALDWIN (3 star)
Shooting guard
Metuchen, New Jersey
St. Joseph's
Ht:6'3"
Wt:180 lbs
Strength:Good
Class:2014 (High School)

Has 12 offers, Harvard, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn St., Rice, Richmond, Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. Joseph's, Temple, VCU, Virginia Tech

Also has been receiving interest from but hasn't received an offer from, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Stanford, Miami (FL), Memphis, Maryland, Kansas, Indiana, Georgetown, Cincinnati

Plays and looks like a highlight tape of Joe Colemen.

I agree with all the comments. My thought was Coach P. would load up with 3 point shooters at the 2 & 3. Freeman and the kid we gave to Michigan State are much more versatile scorers.

I agree with all the comments. My thought was Coach P. would load up with 3 point shooters at the 2 & 3. Freeman and the kid we gave to Michigan State are much more versatile scorers.
Just like we gave Mich State's football team Greg Jones when we switched coaches. When you get a new coach that is the nature of the beast. Do you keep Tubby so you can keep Ellis?

Just like we gave Mich State's football team Greg Jones when we switched coaches. When you get a new coach that is the nature of the beast. Do you keep Tubby so you can keep Ellis?
If you follow that logic, you never change coaches. No recruit is worth keeping a coach that is not getting it done.

@TheRecruitScoop: Minnesota has offered 2014 Sports U (NJ) guard Wade Baldwin.

I like that we are aggressive in our recruiting but this isn't football. We only have a handful of scholarships for the next two years and I believe we have offered 25 people....most all of who have been reported to be guards.
Where we at with McNeil on board if Dre and Freeman say yes? That's 3 guards. Are we done then? No bigs?
I mean I'm sure they have a plan or maybe I have missed something but doesn't it seem we have too many
offers floating out there.
Are the guys we are offering so highly rated we don't care which one we get as long it's one of them?
Granted, we have no point guard. Those three guys would give us our three best point guards on the roster.

Nobody posts up so post defense may not be critical unless Coleman is our best post defender. Make the tempo fast enough and we can rebound but it's not always possible. Who rebounds? Like I said they got a plan but not knowing the plan those are my concerns...in May.

I like that we are aggressive in our recruiting but this isn't football. We only have a handful of scholarships for the next two years and I believe we have offered 25 people....most all of who have been reported to be guards.
Where we at with McNeil on board if Dre and Freeman say yes? That's 3 guards. Are we done then? No bigs?
I mean I'm sure they have a plan or maybe I have missed something but doesn't it seem we have too many
Are the guys we are offering so highly rated we don't care which one we get as long it's one of them?
Granted, we have no point guard. Those three guys would give us our three best point guards on the roster.

Nobody posts up so post defense may not be critical unless Coleman is our best post defender. Make the tempo fast enough and we can rebound but it's not always possible. Who rebounds? Like I said they got a plan but not knowing the plan those are my concerns...in May.

We have 4 scholarships available right now. McNeil, Mathieu (whom I think we'll get). Freeman would be a tough get but even if we got him, there's still room for a big. Maybe the coaches are gambling that Buckles will be cleared by the NCAA and if he isn't, they will roll with what we have. Maybe we're still in on Black, though it's been quiet on that front. Or maybe we sign Uchebo or someone else.

Next year we have at least 2 more available and, I think it's safe to say, will actually have more than that by the time it's all said and done.

It has been fast and furious, just like football recruiting. I'm guessing after Vaughn and Travis, all other offers are contingent. No way you can qualify this many academically in such a short period of time. Also, if you offer 25 kids with no strings attached, at least one is going to say yes. I know Coach P. and staff have a plan in place, I just have no idea what it is. Norwood and I are exchanging hate mail, I'll try to drag it out of him.

I'm for only having two scholarships for the class of 2014 if we can get quality guys in this class. Making the tournament this year should be a priority (despite Pitino saying it's unrealistic).

It has been fast and furious, just like football recruiting. I'm guessing after Vaughn and Travis, all other offers are contingent. No way you can qualify this many academically in such a short period of time. Also, if you offer 25 kids with no strings attached, at least one is going to say yes. I know Coach P. and staff have a plan in place, I just have no idea what it is. Norwood and I are exchanging hate mail, I'll try to drag it out of him.

Please tell me you are joking about contacting Norwood Teague

...why?

I'd imagine Pitino wants to offer as many quality players as possible while telling them it's first come, first served. Knowing that there are a lot of other players in the picture, it might lead them to make a quicker decision so they don't lose the offer. If Pitino is making as good of an impression on players as it seems, this strategy might work out pretty well.

@GTuckerF150: Georgetown has offered 2014 Mass Rivals PG Kaleb Joseph; Marquette & Minnesota offered earlier in the week

Go Gophers!!

@Evan_Flood 6 Apr 2014 SF Paul White tells me #Arizona #OhioState #Gophers #Florida #Mubb #UCONN and #NotreDame are recruiting him hardest. @ny2lasports

Not sure if Pitino had offered him but I know the past staff was looking at him.
Denver Post Preps‏@denverpostpreps50s
Dominique Collier of Denver East commits to #CUBuffs; Tad Boyle nabs top reruit: http://dpo.st/142lyg9 #copreps

“@RyanJamesMN: Chicago source tells me the new Minnesota staff has recently offered PG Tyler Ulis a scholarship. The previous staff had also offered.”

@evandanielsfox: Isaiah Whitehead has it Rollin' from deep today. Hit 5 triples in the first half.

Go Gophers!!

@nikemeanstreets: Within in a week #MeanStreets 17U Paul White and Tyler Ulis have both been offered Scholarships to #Gophers & #MSU @_PW13 @tulis3

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom