All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

And I repeat, you have NEVER seen Gaston play before. Stop acting like you know he'll play center here.

I saw everyone of Gaston's games this year when I was living in the Canary Islands. He's a 5. PERIOD.

I will bet you a "retirement match" on this. If Gaston is a 4. I will leave this forum forever. If he's a 5, you leave. Deal?

I saw everyone of Gaston's games this year when I was living in the Canary Islands. He's a 5. PERIOD.

I will bet you a "retirement match" on this. If Gaston is a 4. I will leave this forum forever. If he's a 5, you leave. Deal?

Did I ever say he was a 4? I am not Pitino, therefore I don't know what Gaston will play here. You don't know either. Don't put words in my mouth.

Nothing on the big commitment we were supposed to hear about a few days ago? Must have been throwing crap on the wall and seeing if it sticks?

“Whoever comes in, Josh Martin or whatever, it’s going to be difficult (to compete).”

Gophers coach Richard Pitino said King really proved himself as a starter toward the end of the season after replacing an injured Oto Osenieks. King had just 11 points combined in the NIT semifinals and championship game. But the Eagan native had four straight double-digit scoring games prior to that, including 18 points in a 63-55 win against St. Mary’s in the NIT second round.

“When Oto got hurt, Joey was like ‘this is my spot’,” Pitino said Wednesday. “Whoever comes in, Josh Martin or whatever, it’s going to be difficult (to compete).”
PP; 9 April, 2014
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...get-djuan-piper-and-competing-with-joey-king/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In Mn for the Night &#55357;&#56844;</p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/457356445890011136">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Visit to University of Minnesota was ill. &#55357;&#56891;</p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/457641379481403392">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We just spoke to a source who says that <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton">@zachlofton</a> really enjoyed his time with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> and loved the staff. Expecting resolution next wk.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/457683000378269696">April 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

I'm really not a big fan of people posting phrases like "PERIOD" or "END OF STORY" or "NUFF SAID." That seems to indicate a reluctance to debate further or a sneaking suspicion that their points are weak.

If Josh Martin's handles are as good as they appear in his highlights, I could see Martin and King playing together in the front court with someone like Mo at center. Between the two of them I think we could get by without a natural SF.

His ball handling skills are nothing out the ordinary for a PF. With the problems we've had at the 4, why would Coach P. have a freshman play two positions?

Last year we were so thin as a team…we will improve just by getting guys who can play some minutes. We had to play too many injured players at times. We had Mav, Shell, Buggs, McNeil (at the beginning), Wally not eating up any minutes despite having scholarships. That's 5 of the 13 scholarships! You need to use all the scholarships well…either preparing for the future by redshirting or taking raw athletes a year or two before the starter in their position finishes his career. We were short simple role players off the bench. Losing 4 scholarship players next year, I don't see Pitino banking a scholarship (as some have suggested/hoped) and I see the guys we have coming in both preparing us for the future and probably providing us some solid minutes by the time the B1G game start. We will finally have a team where all 13 players have a current role or are preparing for one in the near future.

Depth means very little just look at the NCAA tournament several teams that made deep runs were regularly playing 8 or fewer players. A couple teams were playing 7 players and on one team the 7th man saw bit minutes. The Gophers don't need 13 players on the roster they need a solid 8 would be great anything more than that is gravy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In Mn for the Night ��</p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/457356445890011136">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Visit to University of Minnesota was ill. ��</p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/457641379481403392">April 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Does this mean he threw up?

Depth means very little just look at the NCAA tournament several teams that made deep runs were regularly playing 8 or fewer players. A couple teams were playing 7 players and on one team the 7th man saw bit minutes. The Gophers don't need 13 players on the roster they need a solid 8 would be great anything more than that is gravy.

Absolutely agree. Because nobody ever gets injured and good players never have slumps.

Absolutely agree. Because nobody ever gets injured and good players never have slumps.

Yep! Not like Michigan or msu had their starting players get hurt and still made a deep run because they had depth, not what happened at all.

But seriously, a good program that isn't a blue blood that get the one and dones, Becky as an example, is 7 to 8 deep with players waiting in the wings to develop and contribute when needed and take the spots for when those 7 guys move on, those teams don't look for incoming recruits who are 18 and never been on a stage so big to take on such a tall order, they look at their roster for a guy to step up and take over after developing, ala kamisky. Having roster spots locked up on guys like mav who aren't young anymore and can't develop and contribute little to nothing is a waste. You can almost call it minor league team for the players not in your top 8, its why it frustrates me when people say what heck, we have 13 spots just give him a scholarship, every scholarship is valuable.

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

Last year we were so thin as a team…we will improve just by getting guys who can play some minutes. We had to play too many injured players at times. We had Mav, Shell, Buggs, McNeil (at the beginning), Wally not eating up any minutes despite having scholarships. That's 5 of the 13 scholarships! You need to use all the scholarships well…either preparing for the future by redshirting or taking raw athletes a year or two before the starter in their position finishes his career. We were short simple role players off the bench. Losing 4 scholarship players next year, I don't see Pitino banking a scholarship (as some have suggested/hoped) and I see the guys we have coming in both preparing us for the future and probably providing us some solid minutes by the time the B1G game start. We will finally have a team where all 13 players have a current role or are preparing for one in the near future.

You make some good points, but as of right now we only have 3 wings. With only Dre, McNeil, and Morris, if someone twists an ankle we may need the guy in the chicken suit. If Coach P. and staff can sign Justin Martin or an equivalent, they've done a great job of filling the holes on next year's team and making a start on 2015/16. The next 2 signings are needless to say very important. I have no idea how, but would like them to sign Konate, Lofton, and Justin Martin.

The next 2 signings are needless to say very important. I have no idea how, but would like them to sign Konate, Lofton, and Justin Martin.

Are we assuming Lofton will have to sit out if he comes here? I'd rather get a guy that can help next season (Martin) instead of having to wait a year, especially if the guy sitting out is a marginal Big ten talent who gobbles up a scholarship for 2/3 years. The nice thing about guys like Malik are it's just a one-year gamble.

Are we assuming Lofton will have to sit out if he comes here? I'd rather get a guy that can help next season (Martin) instead of having to wait a year, especially if the guy sitting out is a marginal Big ten talent who gobbles up a scholarship for 2/3 years. The nice thing about guys like Malik are it's just a one-year gamble.

SS, I don't disagree with you, we absolutely need Justin Martin or equivalent. Lofton will need to sit a year, but I believe after admittedly watching very little tape, he's a solid B1G talent and a 3 level scorer. I'm greedy, I would sign every true scorer who visits.

The point is for the Gophers to get where we want them to be the fastest way to improve is by getting better players in your top 5 or 8. Very few games are won by the 10th man. Yes injuries happen and it gives minutes to other players but the key to any team starts with the top 8 players. The gophers need help at the wing position for sure.

Lofton will need to sit a year, but I believe after admittedly watching very little tape, he's a solid B1G talent and a 3 level scorer. I'm greedy, I would sign every true scorer who visits.

I hope he is. We definitely need to add scorers to the program.

Besides Lofton, Konate, Ryan Johnson, and Xavier's Martin, who else is on our radar

Besides Lofton, Konate, Ryan Johnson, and Xavier's Martin, who else is on our radar

Lakers like Minneapolis Lakers? Go Indians!

go to below site; change year below players name to 2014; page down to school, college and highlight a name and type m then select Minnesota and only select check box Uncommitted, go to bottom and click search
https://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search

you get this below info
C Bakary Konate
Bel Aire, Kansas
Sunrise Christian Academy
6'11" 230 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Jakeem Yates
Charlotte, North Carolina
West Charlotte
6'10" 210 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Nathan Ekwu
Bronx, New York
Cardinal Hayes
6'7" 235 N/A N/A N/A
list
C Link Kabadyundi
Montreal, Quebec
Alma Academy
7'1" 240 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Ryan Johnson
Thomasville, North Carolina
Hope Christian
6'6" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list
GMalik Albert
Flint, Michigan
Mott C.C.
6'2" 185 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Josh Cunningham
Chicago, Illinois
Morgan Park
6'7" 195 N/A
4 stars
N/A N/A
list
F Austin Williams
Richmond, Virginia
Trinity Episcopal
6'7" 215 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Jackson Davis
Lexington, Kentucky
Lafayette
6'8" 210 N/A
3 stars
N/A N/A
list

OR here is Scout's list
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2014

OR here is ESPN's list
http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2014/page/considering

F
Aleer Leek
Bradenton, Florida
Victory Rock Prep
6'9" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list

G
Delshon Strickland
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Minnetonka
6'4" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list

C
Sidiki Johnson
Mount Carmel, Illinois
Wabash Valley C.C.
6'10" 245 N/A N/A N/A
list

F
Johnathan Stove
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Christian Life Academy
6'4" 210 N/A
3 stars
N/A N/A
list

F
Seth Bonifas
Dubuque, Iowa
Dubuque Senior
6'8" 190 N/A N/A N/A
list

G
T.J. Schlundt
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
St Johns Nw Military Academy
6'4" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list

F
Isaiah Omoregie
Tampa, Florida
Jesuit
6'8" 225 N/A N/A N/A
list

G
Jerrelle Deberry
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destiny
6'4" 175 N/A
3 stars
N/A N/A
list

F
Fattod Lewis
Memphis, Tennessee
Raleigh Egypt
6'7" 200 N/A N/A N/A
list

Nothing on the big commitment we were supposed to hear about a few days ago?

+1 I'm also waiting to see what happened. We had 3 to give and it sounds like Diedhiou, Lofton and Konate (assuming he qualifies) will be the 3 (and have been for days). All very good adds for 2015 and beyond, but clearly not the guy some posters were talking about a few days ago, and IMO at least one of the spring scholarships should've gone to a grad transfer that could help in 2014. In particular, I question taking *two* big guy "projects" when we have a clear need for scoring next year.

If there is a fourth guy in play, people in the know probably can't say anything because it would indicate a current Gopher needing to transfer.

That reminds me, I'm surprised Buggs' knee issue hasn't gotten more discussion.

Sorry about the spacing this link is good too
http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Targets
Lakers like Minneapolis Lakers? Go Indians!

go to below site; change year below players name to 2014; page down to school, college and highlight a name and type m then select Minnesota and only select check box Uncommitted, go to bottom and click search
https://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/recruit-search

you get this below info
C Bakary Konate
Bel Aire, Kansas
Sunrise Christian Academy
6'11" 230 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Jakeem Yates
Charlotte, North Carolina
West Charlotte
6'10" 210 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Nathan Ekwu
Bronx, New York
Cardinal Hayes
6'7" 235 N/A N/A N/A
list
C Link Kabadyundi
Montreal, Quebec
Alma Academy
7'1" 240 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Ryan Johnson
Thomasville, North Carolina
Hope Christian
6'6" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list
GMalik Albert
Flint, Michigan
Mott C.C.
6'2" 185 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Josh Cunningham
Chicago, Illinois
Morgan Park
6'7" 195 N/A
4 stars
N/A N/A
list
F Austin Williams
Richmond, Virginia
Trinity Episcopal
6'7" 215 N/A N/A N/A
list
F Jackson Davis
Lexington, Kentucky
Lafayette
6'8" 210 N/A
3 stars
N/A N/A
list
F Aleer Leek
Bradenton, Florida
Victory Rock Prep
6'9" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list
G Delshon Strickland
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Minnetonka
6'4" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list

C Sidiki Johnson
Mount Carmel, Illinois
Wabash Valley C.C.
6'10" 245 N/A N/A N/A
list

F Johnathan Stove
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Christian Life Academy
6'4" 210 N/A
3 stars
N/A N/A
list

F Seth Bonifas
Dubuque, Iowa
Dubuque Senior
6'8" 190 N/A N/A N/A
list
G T.J. Schlundt
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
St Johns Nw Military Academy
6'4" N/A N/A N/A N/A
list

F Isaiah Omoregie
Tampa, Florida
Jesuit
6'8" 225 N/A N/A N/A
list

G Jerrelle Deberry
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destiny
6'4" 175 N/A
3 stars
N/A N/A
list

F Fattod Lewis
Memphis, Tennessee
Raleigh Egypt
6'7" 200 N/A N/A N/A
list
OR here is Scout's list
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2014

OR here is ESPN's list
http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2014/page/considering

What's the deal with Strickland?

EDIT: just realized he goes to my old High School..

Depth gets you to the dance, 7 very good to great players helps you win in the dance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been reading up on Strickland. Apparently there was some initial intrigue in February surrounding him. He stated back then that he was going to wait till April to make his decision. Well here we are. And it seems like he is getting offers from some solid programs.

Why wouldn't we just pick him up? He can shoot and he is a local kid. Posters on here gripe about our lack of in-state talent.

Some say he isn't that good. His ESPN grade isn't that impressive. But neither was McNeil's. And it's not like we have a lot of options if Justin Martin falls thru. I'm confused why we would want Lofton over Strickland??

Does anyone know anything about Strickland? Does he have behavior issues?

I've been reading up on Strickland. Apparently there was some initial intrigue in February surrounding him. He stated back then that he was going to wait till April to make his decision. Well here we are. And it seems like he is getting offers from some solid programs.

Why wouldn't we just pick him up? He can shoot and he is a local kid. Posters on here gripe about our lack of in-state talent.

Some say he isn't that good. His ESPN grade isn't that impressive. But neither was McNeil's. And it's not like we have a lot of options if Justin Martin falls thru. I'm confused why we would want Lofton over Strickland??

Strickland isn't a very good shooter. Lofton is definitely better in my opinion (both as a shooter and overall). Also, what offers are you referring to?

Strickland is playing AAU for D1 Minnesota this spring. Does this mean he has decided to reclassify, or is he just doing this because he's young enough to still play?

Top Bottom