All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Because Macura was actually interested in coming here (post-Tubby). Vaughn or Whitehead were never coming here.

I've heard enough to make me believe that Macura was never coming here either. Sure, he's a loss. So is Vaughn, Whitehead, and even that loser Reid. But you dance with who brung ya, and I'm excited about this class.

Kendal Shell is on a scholarship right? After playing about 20 minutes in 3 years do you think we have him take a hike, and then open up a scholarship for Justin Martin?

His scholarship was only because we had one available when the NCAA didn't approve Buckle's transfer. He won't be told to take a hike…he'll just be a walk-on next year with the 6th scholarship this year taking his.

Will be interesting over time to see how Tubby's first class and Pitino's looked and worked out...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2014

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/135/class/2008
Ralph Sampson, III
Colton Iverson
Devoe Joseph
Paul Carter
Devron Bostick

Ralph- Solid starter but didn't live up to his potential
Colt- Didn't do a whole lot with Minnesota.
Devoe- Best player of the bunch but couldn't put down the ghanja.
Paul Carter- He was a solid role-player.
Bostick-Not alot of impact.

Good class on paper, but was dissapointing in preformance.

Coaching….Pitino gets more out of less…

Ralph- Solid starter but didn't live up to his potential
Colt- Didn't do a whole lot with Minnesota.
Devoe- Best player of the bunch but couldn't put down the ghanja.
Paul Carter- He was a solid role-player.
Bostick-Not alot of impact.

Good class on paper, but was dissapointing in preformance.

I think Carter was a big loss. He was a good all around player and had a great attitude. Iverson was called for a foul even before he stepped on the floor.

I think Carter was a big loss. He was a good all around player and had a great attitude. Iverson was called for a foul even before he stepped on the floor.

I was a Paul Carter fan as well. I would have liked to see what he could have done as a Senior but circumstances dictated otherwise.

247 Amended

1 Ohio State Ohio State 4 1 2 1 95.82 50.69

X Maryland Maryland 5 0 4 1 95.95 49.66

2 Indiana Indiana 4 0 2 1 89.68 47.53

3 Michigan Michigan 5 0 1 2 84.95 42.24

4 Purdue Purdue 5 0 2 3 88.47 41.98

5 Northwestern 5 0 1 4 86.38 39.13

6 Illinois Illinois 2 0 1 1 92.65 38.62

7 Michigan State 3 0 1 2 88.20 35.85

8 Minnesota Minnesota 5 0 0 5 85.20 30.55

9 Iowa Iowa 3 0 0 3 85.85 30.43

X Rutgers Rutgers 3 0 0 2 82.15 30.28

10 Nebraska Nebraska 2 0 0 2 85.81 26.82

11 Penn State Penn State 3 0 0 2 79.77 24.78

12 Wisconsin Wisconsin 1 0 0 1 89.79 19.79

With Bakary comitted, I wish we could've held off on Lofton to leave room for an impact transfer like Justin Martin. There are so many great transfers out there that it would've been a smart move to try to snag one. Oh well!

With Bakary comitted, I wish we could've held off on Lofton to leave room for an impact transfer like Justin Martin. There are so many great transfers out there that it would've been a smart move to try to snag one. Oh well!

Their aren't as many great transfers who can play right away as you think.

Their aren't as many great transfers who can play right away as you think.

Maybe not, but there were some real good ones (better than Lofton) that are eligible in 2015 that I would've liked to have seen us go after.

Maybe not, but there were some real good ones (better than Lofton) that are eligible in 2015 that I would've liked to have seen us go after.

Weren't you claiming some insider knowledge on a transfer not that long ago? Any updates?

New quotes per Marcus' article:

Braziel, now Bloomington Kennedy's coach, said Pitino would be getting an extremely talented offensive player, a "big-time steal" and not, despite the suspension, a potential risk.

"Zach is not a kid who demands the ball. He's going to do what you ask him to do. He's very coachable," Braziel said. "He's a great basketball player to have on your team. It's not going to be an off-court behavior thing with Zach. I know him. He's not going to do those things. He'll do anything he can to play basketball."

Braziel said the Gophers would not regret bringing Lofton in.

"It's just his competitiveness more than his attitude," he said. "There will be nobody in that program who will work harder. For him now, he knows it's an opportunity to go to a place he's always wanted to go. He wants to be home."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

As I pointed out previously, the 20-year-old three-star prospect from Mali created some buzz at the 2009 Nike International Junior Tournament in Berlin. He was only 16 at the time but performed well in an event that included Jonas Valanciunas, a Lithuanian center who was eventually picked fifth overall in the 2011 NBA Draft.

The Gophers now could have one of the most athletic young frontcourts in the Big Ten when they sign both 6-9 Senegal native Gaston Diedhiou and Konate, to go along with 6-9 power forward Josh Martin from Seattle.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ifth-commitment-with-6-11-post-bakary-konate/

Go Gophers!!

I don't think the Gophers are done adding players for 2014. It's possible that a game of musical chairs exists in some form with Gaston Diedhiou and Bakary Konate in that Gaston still hasn't signed (to my knowledge) and Bakary is still taking his SAT in May and needs a certain score to qualify. If both Diedhiou and Konate are in, then I could see something happening with another roster player. Quite simply, the Gophers badly need to add another wing before the start of the 2014 season. As it stands now, they only have Mathieu/Hollins/Morris/Mason/McNeil to play spots 1-3. Foul trouble from a starter (much less an injury) and the Gophers are in a world of trouble. Contrast that to the 4/5 position where if the 13 scholarships are used as projected, we will have 7 guys at the 4/5 with Eliason/Walker/King/Buggs/Martin/Diehiou/Konate.

I don't think the Gophers are done adding players for 2014. It's possible that a game of musical chairs exists in some form with Gaston Diedhiou and Bakary Konate in that Gaston still hasn't signed (to my knowledge) and Bakary is still taking his SAT in May and needs a certain score to qualify. If both Diedhiou and Konate are in, then I could see something happening with another roster player. Quite simply, the Gophers badly need to add another wing before the start of the 2014 season. As it stands now, they only have Mathieu/Hollins/Morris/Mason/McNeil to play spots 1-3. Foul trouble from a starter (much less an injury) and the Gophers are in a world of trouble. Contrast that to the 4/5 position where if the 13 scholarships are used as projected, we will have 7 guys at the 4/5 with Eliason/Walker/King/Buggs/Martin/Diehiou/Konate.

Exactly what I'm thinking as well.

It seems like i am the only poster who thinks Buggs and even king may be able to "spell" sometime at the 3...
granted, I know pitino's system is fast paced but, he slowed it down a few times this year when he needed too. because he didn't have the personel.

I think they are capable from what little I've seen of Buggs and I think King may work on his long range shot and help stretch the D.

But thats just my opinion and I think coach P would only do it out of nessecity.

I wouldn't be shocked if we had a player transfer. No inside information here, though.

It seems like i am the only poster who thinks Buggs and even king may be able to "spell" sometime at the 3...
granted, I know pitino's system is fast paced but, he slowed it down a few times this year when he needed too. because he didn't have the personel.

I think they are capable from what little I've seen of Buggs and I think King may work on his long range shot and help stretch the D.

But thats just my opinion and I think coach P would only do it out of nessecity.
I think alot of people think that about Buggs and King, but Pitino has said that they are both PF so I think that's quieted some of that chatter. Buggs would be a nightmare at the three if he works on his handles

I think alot of people think that about Buggs and King, but Pitino has said that they are both PF so I think that's quieted some of that chatter. Buggs would be a nightmare at the three if he works on his handles

Yeah, I saw him play at the Pro-Am last summer.
Very athletic, long, and strong. I agree, hopefully he is working on his handle this off-season just in case we need him. idk about his jumper though.

King seems to have a solid mid-range jumper and he shot 33% from three last year, I think he has potential to spot up shoot from the SF spot.

Pitino likes his 3 gaurds though.

Still think Macura is the guy we're really gonna' regret whiffing on. He's a perfect fit for what the Gophers need next season, a wing that can put the ball in the hole.

I know we have already gone down this road before on here, but there are rumors now that Mizzou is interested in Mack, and though from the doogie tweet sounds like JP thinks he staying, it also sounds like he'd reconsider if he leaves.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/ColinNelson79">@ColinNelson79</a> Swapped text messages w/ JP. He is pretty convinced Mack is staying. I'll get on it if he somehow takes the Missouri job.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/459111541871083521">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wouldn't be shocked if we had a player transfer. No inside information here, though.

didn't someone that covers the gophers say there might be a surprise transfer (out) - going back a couple months ago?

didn't someone that covers the gophers say there might be a surprise transfer (out) - going back a couple months ago?

I dont see how Buggs doesn't transfer either this year or next. The writing is on the wall, Pitino is recruiting over him. Joey King is in front of him, Josh Martin will likely pass him by, and also the new Senegal old manchild will need minutes to get him ready for life post Mo/EE. Pitino has also clearly stated that Buggs is a 4, he wouldn't peg him into a position if he is to play him at the 3. By Pitino saying Buggs is only a 4 its a clear statement indicating that Buggs is not seen highly by this staff, especially since they are recruiting over him heavily.

I feel like I'm missing something. Buggs was a Freshman first of all and second of all, a coach should be trying to recruit the best players at every position every year. Are we recruiting a SG to replace Andre Hollins? Are we recruiting a SF to replace McNeil? If someone has real proof that someone on the team is wanting out, I'd like to see it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I WILL BE SIGNING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TO CONTINUE MY COLLEGE BASKETBALL CAREER TMRW ! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GOGOPHERS&src=hash">#GOGOPHERS</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NATION&src=hash">#NATION</a></p>— Zach Lofton (@ZachLofton) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLofton/statuses/459161889335824384">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Before you write off Buggs it could be he was playing hurt, he is having some minor surgery soon.

For me; waiting to see if our three recruits qualify is going to be like watching paint dry...

I dont see how Buggs doesn't transfer either this year or next. The writing is on the wall, Pitino is recruiting over him. Joey King is in front of him, Josh Martin will likely pass him by, and also the new Senegal old manchild will need minutes to get him ready for life post Mo/EE. Pitino has also clearly stated that Buggs is a 4, he wouldn't peg him into a position if he is to play him at the 3. By Pitino saying Buggs is only a 4 its a clear statement indicating that Buggs is not seen highly by this staff, especially since they are recruiting over him heavily.

Going into last season I'm sure Pitino would have stated that King and Osenieks are 4's and he wouldn't play either of them at the 5, things change, injuries happen, based on the makeup of the team I would be surprised if Buggs doesn't play the 3 a time or two during the season. I'm hoping he stays and competes for some playing time, Buggs has the ability to be a big time contributor and he still has three years of eligibility left.

It feels strange to me that we're going to start the season with 5 scholarship kids at the 1-3. I like our guys there but things could get real thin real fast in the backcourt.

It feels strange to me that we're going to start the season with 5 scholarship kids at the 1-3. I like our guys there but things could get real thin real fast in the backcourt.

I'm a little concerned as well, especially since both Dre's are not the most foul conscience players ever. We need both of those guys healthy and playing 30+ minutes a night. I hope Pitino can find a way to get Justin Martin. It would suck to have to force a guy out, but we are thin in the backcourt. One injury would have a serious effect.

If something happens and there are injuries - Buggs or King would have to slide to the 3. Not ideal- but workable. They would end up playing a lot of zone defense.

Top Bottom