All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Lots of tid-bits getting lost in the Spring Recruiting thread, which focuses on wrapping up the 2013 class. The staff is really picking up offers for 2014, beyond the Big 3 and I thought we need a thread to we can keep track of the offers, tweets, links, and more.

Go Gophers!!

@TheRecruitScoop: Minnesota has offered 2014 PG Kaleb Joseph of Mass Rivals (MA).

Go Gophers!!

@TheRecruitScoop: St. John's #Gophers, Providence, PSU, Rutgers, G Mason, S Hall, West Va, Pitt & Maryland recently offered Terry Larrier

Go Gophers!!

@TheRecruitScoop: Minnesota has offered 2014 PG Kaleb Joseph of Mass Rivals (MA).

Go Gophers!!

Looks legit...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/122816/kaleb-joseph
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Kaleb-Joseph-127813
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=6111916

I love how Pitino is offering all of these 4 and 5 star kids from around the country. Might put a little pressure on the Big 3, knowing Pitino isn't throwing all of his eggs into one basket.

I'd like to have a current offer list - who am I missing (I'll try to keep it updated):

2014 Gophers Offers:
Tyus Jones
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Isaiah Whitehead
Terry Larrier
Josh Perkins
Kaleb Joseph
Goodluck Okonoboh
Dominique Collier
Sandy Cohen
Tory Miller
Jalyn Patterson
Abdul-Malik Abu

I'd like to have a current offer list - who am I missing (I'll try to keep it updated):

2014 Gophers Offers:
Tyus Jones
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Isaiah Whitehead
Terry Larrier
Josh Perkins
Kaleb Joseph
Goodluck Okonoboh
Dominique Collier
Sandy Cohen
Tory Miller

Despite seeming to have no interest, I believe Okafor has an offer

2014 Gophers Offers:
Tyus Jones
Reid Travis
Rashad Vaughn
Isaiah Whitehead
Terry Larrier
Josh Perkins
Kaleb Joseph
Goodluck Okonoboh
Dominique Collier
Sandy Cohen
Tory Miller

Not sure all these offers still stand. Just because Tubby wanted someone doesn't mean Pitino does. To our knowledge, has Pitino cintacted Miller, Okonoboh, Collier, or Perkins?

Here's another to add to the list:

@TheRecruitScoop: Auburn & Minnesota offered 2014 Atlanta Celtics SG Jalyn Patterson, per a source.

@therecruitscoop: Minnesota & NC State are the latest to offer 2014 Expressions (MA) PF Abdul-Malik Abu.

Go Gophers!!

Refreshing to see a mixture of recruiting efforts on a nationwide basis. There has been no reason to recruit apprehensively as in the past, confining efforts to 3 stars or players from MN. Such self-fulfilling limitations of course yield a program that has to do more with less. Coach P and staff seem to relentlessly recruit in and beyond MN the way it should be. I don't look at it so much as making the Big 3 feel pressure, as much as making them realize, if they care, that this is a program with national aspirations and reach, therefore why not remain a part of it.

Tubby was old and lacked the energy to go on the road and try to get top rated recruits. He relied on his reputation to get recruits IMO. That is why the Gophers have had mediocre recruiting classes as of late. A young, hungry and enthusiastic coach is the best thing that happened to this program.

Refreshing to see a mixture of recruiting efforts on a nationwide basis. There has been no reason to recruit apprehensively as in the past, confining efforts to 3 stars or players from MN. Such self-fulfilling limitations of course yield a program that has to do more with less. Coach P and staff seem to relentlessly recruit in and beyond MN the way it should be. I don't look at it so much as making the Big 3 feel pressure, as much as making them realize, if they care, that this is a program with national aspirations and reach, therefore why not remain a part of it.
+2 Well stated. I'm sure this effort will pay dividends. Looking forward to the Pitino era!

I don't know how to react to the news of all these offers given out to the 2014 class. By my count, we found out about four new offers today and one yesterday for a total of five:

PG/SG Sandy Cohen
PG Kaleb Joseph
SG Jalyn Patterson
Wing Terry Larrier
PF Abdul-Malik Abu

We also offered another JUCO Guard from Florida AND expressed interest in the UCLA De-Commit as 2013 options. That's at least seven new names in 48 hours! I find it interesting how many of these guys project to play in the backcourt and wonder just how small Pitino is planning on playing. Regardless, I love the focus on guards, because good guard play is usually what wins in college basketball.

It is refreshing to see the Gophers associated with more prospects than they have bee in the past, but that's only the first step.

It seems as though Coach Pitino may have already blown through his $50,000 private jet allowance already. But it's great to see.

No Knowledge

It seems as though Coach Pitino may have already blown through his $50,000 private jet allowance already. But it's great to see.

But, I'm going to guess he hasn't used any of it yet. The private jet is for recruiting during the season when you need to go watch a kid and get back for practice or for a game. Or you leave right after a game to watch a kid. That kinda thing.

AAU tournaments you can pretty easily fly commercial to and there isn't the urgency to return home
because it's spring/summer.

Just guessing.

Tubby and Staff had shown some interest in him - though he's now off the board:

@ryanellerbusch: 2015 @NickNoskowiak (Sun Prairie, WI) has committed to Marquette University. Plays his AAU basketball w/ @WisconsinPGC. Congrats Nick! #mubb

Go Gophers!!

People slammed Tubby for not taking enough Minnesota talent. Which is it? You can't hate on him for both.

Devoe Joseph, Ralph Sampson, Colton Iverson, both Hollins', Justin Cobbs, Paul Carter, Mo Walker. These guys are from all over the place, and some were fairly high profile recruits.

He kept the most coveted talent from MN in state, until the wheels fell off, he had some pretty solid recruiting classes.

People slammed Tubby for not taking enough Minnesota talent. Which is it? You can't hate on him for both.

Devoe Joseph, Ralph Sampson, Colton Iverson, both Hollins', Justin Cobbs, Paul Carter, Mo Walker. These guys are from all over the place, and some were fairly high profile recruits.

He kept the most coveted talent from MN in state, until the wheels fell off, he had some pretty solid recruiting classes.

+1

I have ZERO inside knowledge but if I had to make a GUESS at this point, I would go with the following:

Tyus Jones - Duke or MSU
Rashad Vaughn - Kentucky or UNC
Reid Travis - Minnesota
Alex Illikainen - Minnesota (2015)
Henry Ellenson - Minnesota (2015)
Jarvis Johnson - Minnesota (2015)

I have ZERO inside knowledge but if I had to make a GUESS at this point, I would go with the following:

Tyus Jones - Duke or MSU
Reid Travis - Minnesota

Sounds about right, but I think we have a good shot at Rashad.

Sounds about right, but I think we have a good shot at Rashad.

I hope you're right about Rashad, pg10, but for some strange reason I keep thinking that he is going elsewhere. I would love to be completely wrong about that, though. :)

@wisbbyearbook: Auburn, Florida State, Kentucky, Providence and Wake Forest latest schools to show interest in Seymour junior Sandy Cohen, 6'5" PG/WG.

Go Gophers!!

@wisbbyearbook: Auburn, Florida State, Kentucky, Providence and Wake Forest latest schools to show interest in Seymour junior Sandy Cohen, 6'5" PG/WG.

Go Gophers!!

Gotta love Kentucky showing interest in a Wisconsin kid while Bo shows none. It would be frustrating being a Badger fan, despite their relatively consistent success.

Gotta love Kentucky showing interest in a Wisconsin kid while Bo shows none. It would be frustrating being a Badger fan, despite their relatively consistent success.

You have an interesting definition of relatively consistent success.

Tyus Jones - Duke or MSU
Reid Travis - Minnesota

Based off what they've said and various articles/Q&As, I'd say:

Tyus Jones - Duke or Kentucky...MSU also has a chance...Minnesota could come into play if Tyus decides it's not in his best interest to play with Jahil
Rashad Vaughn - UNC or Minnesota...Kentucky would also be an attractive option for Vaughn if they offer
Reid Travis - Minnesota or MSU...Duke seems ideal for Travis if they offer
Alex Illikainen - Minnesota
Henry Ellenson - Minnesota? He's kept his cards fairly close, but one can only assume Minnesota would be the favorite with his brother playing here.
Jarvis Johnson - Minnesota? Who knows. He said Michigan was his favorite team growing up and he still roots for them.

Top Bottom