All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Sure he would, but there are numerous coaches out there thinking the same thing. He'll be a 5th year senior who can play right away and put up good numbers for a strong program as a junior. A guy like that is like gold. You can bet that Minnesota will not be the highest rated program chasing him. Last year Josh Davis was a 5th year transfer who put up very good numbers for an obscure program like Tulane. He had all kinds of offers and eventually decided on San Diego State (a final 16 team with over 30 wins and located in one of the very best climates in the nation).

This team would very likely be better with someone like Martin, but this team should also be better with enough decent depth that the coach can turn to other players when other players are having poor games.

This team has quality depth at the 5, really not sure where else. Justin Martin/Carlos Morris would fill the biggest hole.

While I don't want to come off as being mean, for goodness sakes guys, don't start talking like Martin is already on the roster. He's just another transfer that we are pursuing, just as we would pursue Chris Obekpa, Zach Lofton, and whoever else on the market.

While I don't want to come off as being mean, for goodness sakes guys, don't start talking like Martin is already on the roster. He's just another transfer that we are pursuing, just as we would pursue Chris Obekpa, Zach Lofton, and whoever else on the market.

I don't think anyone is talking like Justin Martin is already on the roster. People are posting things like Martin WOULD fill this void, or Martin WOULD provide this......not WILL.

This team has quality depth at the 5, really not sure where else. Justin Martin/Carlos Morris would fill the biggest hole.

Pitino still has at least one other opportunity to address that.

The team lost one very good player but should be deeper next year. Consider the situation at power forward this year and how it would almost have to improve next year (especially if the most recent acquisition plays). Consider the situation at point guard where two starters for the most part had to handle those duties. Consider that there was really no capable true 3 beyond Austin. Consider that none of our backup shooting guards could be trusted to shoot reliably through most of the games this year.

Next years Gopher team is going to rely on a large number of question marks. We can hope that guys can make a difference but until we actually see them play it's going to be interesting. Looking at the team as of now we will rely heavily on Dre and Dre, King, Walker, and Elliason.

We need the young guys to contribute first McNeil and then the new additions. Getting the kid from Xavier would be huge because he would bring an experienced weapon. Morris as a juco needs to come in and play well from day 1. The Freshman have talent no doubt and I am expecting good things from Martin but it's hard to say if we can count on that hope. If Martin can make an impact as a starter or a major contributor off the bench this team will be pretty strong. That said injuries or younger players not making a strong impact the team will have problems.

Today is national signing day, no? Is this a big day like football, or do most recruits wait and sign sometime before May 21?

Today is national signing day, no? Is this a big day like football, or do most recruits wait and sign sometime before May 21?

There are two signing periods in basketball. 90% of the players already signed in November.

Ah, yes. I meant for the spring singees.

Yeah I guess to answer your question more, no it isn't as big of a deal since most guys are already signed and there isn't even close to as much flipping as there is in football.

posted 4-16-14

@GravettMatt: Bakary Konate took the ACT last Saturday. He will receive his
score in 2-3 weeks. Top 4 is Minnesota, Texas A&M, Creighton, and Tulane.

Not sure if we'd have/had interest, but a good one to possibly look into-

“@TheRecruitScoop: 2014 Marquette commit Ahmed Hill - a top-75 SG from Aquinas (GA) - announced he has re-opened his recruitment.”

I wonder why she thought Konate might announce today or within the next few days or who told her that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Surprised that no one has mentioned Gueye signing with Ga Tech.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/255645411.html

Once again, I'm convinced Amelia's main source is Gopherhole...

"Like most overseas players, Diedhiou, who originally hails from Senegal, will likely come to Minnesota very raw and certainly very unheralded."

from what I've seen of basketball from Spain in international competition, I don't agree. Amelia's quote may apply to Gaston, but basketball in Spain seems to be very competitive. And CBAcademy attracts significant u18 talent from across europe

Ryan Johnson is no longer visiting this weekend according to Ryan James.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

in my book its a great sign, means pitino likely thinks he can do better, which I agree

I agree, considering Johnson's current offer list, I don't see why he wouldn't at least be interested in visiting Minnesota. I hope this means Pitino is confident he'll land some bigger fish soon!

I agree, considering Johnson's current offer list, I don't see why he wouldn't at least be interested in visiting Minnesota. I hope this means Pitino is confident he'll land some bigger fish soon!

don't the Shayoks run the first week of May?

Why aren't we getting the new players signed today?

Bakary Konate cancelled his visit to Tulane for this weekend. Wonder what this means?

Edit: Will make his commitment in next 2 weeks.

Bakary Konate cancelled his visit to Tulane for this weekend. Wonder what this means?

Edit: Will make his commitment in next 2 weeks.

I'd be happy to take Konate at this point. We'd have less to worry about in 2015 with Mo and EE graduating. Martin, Buggs, King, Gaston, Konate, and hopefully Illkainen would be a pretty solid front court, you'd think.

Top Bottom