Tailgating Lot Planned for U Students UPDATED 5/7: Students won't be carded

I've tailgated at all 12 Big Ten schools so I think I could be considered an expert.

Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Penn State and Ohio State all have places within shouting distance of the stadium where you can pay a reasonable amount ($10-30ish) to park when you show up for game day. It's first come, first serve, but similar to our parking situation at the Metrodome (just more expansive.)

I think most people here have been to Wisconsin, but being in a residential neighborhood there is hardly any parking. That said, it's loaded with bars and student housing so while it's not tradition tailgating, there's a huge party. I'm not sure they even enforce laws on game day.

Nebraska's campus and stadium are located on the north edge of downtown Lincoln, so it's more of an urban feel than most Big Ten campuses. Parking is a premium, there are a few small lots that students can afford but they don't have a massive tailgating scene. Lincoln allows tailgating on private lots, so usually ever random lot has something going on. There are a ton of bars nearby and that's the pre-game of choice for many Husker fans.

Northwestern has free parking lots not terribly far from the stadium, and you don't have to spend much to get a spot right next to the stadium. does Northwestern even count?

Meanwhile, we don't offer a SINGLE lot in Minneapolis for tailgating that you can purchase for a reasonable amount the day of the game. Who wants to tailgate in St Paul?

I think given the number of people that show up for Gameday in Madison, it would be counterproductive for cops to strictly enforce laws if the crowd is generally not getting that out of hand - hence it seems like some laws aren't enforced. I am sure there are always exceptions.

So aside from kicking out some "high rolling" donors and letting the students tailgate in the lots right next to the stadium, what other lots would be suitable? There are some U contracted lots by Argyle House that are not open to parking or tailgating on Gamedays. Would that be suitable, or is that even "too far away" to make a difference/spark interest? I would say buy out the lot next to bdubs and get students to party right across the street, but that's just me. There is also a lot across the street from Ridder, or has that been turned into one of the many luxury apartment buildings?

They could also set this up in the Super Block since students would be right there anyway. That wouldn't be traditional tailgating but they have lots of space to accommodate the crowd and it would be convenient. Seeing thousands of students walk from the Super Block, through Stadium Village, and to TCF would be pretty cool.

There is also a lot across the street from Ridder, or has that been turned into one of the many luxury apartment buildings?

That lot is C58 and is already a tailgating lot that requires a $1,000 donation. That's where I tailgate. It's not wild, but still a good time. Although rumors say that's where they're eyeing the potential basketball practice facility so there would become another lost surface lot near the stadium.

My thoughts (they all have negatives)
-Victory Lot: Close to the student entrance. A little bit out there, so kind of a hike, but being out there would allow students to do their thing so any concern about warping the minds of the children getting their minds poisoned aren't super high
-Superblock: I think it's an intriguing idea, but I'm not super sure.
-Mall: I think this has some potential. Like USC, where everyone just wheeled in coolers & set up things anywhere. Close for Comstock, on the way for West Bank, not far for Sanford & pretty central for everyone. I think it would be a fun tipsy walk from the mall down Frat Row to the stadium.
-Right in fron of Williams Arena: I know this is where the GLC currently is set up though.

After looking at the google map of campus I'm going to take a wild guess and say they put it on the marching band practice field. There are facilities there that could be leveraged, bathrooms, concessions, etc.

Well, I just looked at the latest overhead on Google Map's satellite and it looks like the converted about 80% of the the old field to a practice area for something.. not sure if it's discuss/shotput or a batting type cage for softball, tough to tell. Seems odd. If you only take the remaining parking spaces, there are 52 of them. If you add in the stuff on the other side of the fence that is typically reserved for AD people it only makes for another 47. 100 total spots may not be enough for student tailgating if they promote it right, IMO... Maybe I'm crazy? Would 2.5 people per car = 250 "tailgaters" plus any walk-ins be enough to start a fun atmosphere? Maybe start small, with the idea that the IM fields are adjacent for people to play sports on while tailgating? I dunno.

After looking at the google map of campus I'm going to take a wild guess and say they put it on the marching band practice field. There are facilities there that could be leveraged, bathrooms, concessions, etc.

If the U thinks they need to provide items such as running water bathrooms and concessions in a tailgate lot, they may as well save the trouble. A true tailgate needs nothing more than 1) space to park with adequate isles, and 2) a tree or fence line to piss on.

They need to control the music and shut it down at 10 minutes to game time so that the students have to choose to either hit the stadium or a bar.

If the U thinks they need to provide items such as running water bathrooms and concessions in a tailgate lot, they may as well save the trouble. A true tailgate needs nothing more than 1) space to park with adequate isles, and 2) a tree or fence line to piss on.

i really don't think the gals would appreciate this.

Student perspective:
The walk is from Dinky Town (I walk from 12th St for games) is the absolute worst because it ends up being 12-16 blocks depending on where you come from in dinkytown. This is because the student entrance is on the far side of the stadium. This causes me, as well as many other students, drinking more drinks than necessary because you sober up as you walk to the stadium.

The lot would have to have to be within 7 blocks for it to work. At the same time, I agree that the MSU rules would work, but a blind eye should be given to a point to increase the likelihood of success.

I've tailgated at all 12 Big Ten schools so I think I could be considered an expert.

Meanwhile, we don't offer a SINGLE lot in Minneapolis for tailgating that you can purchase for a reasonable amount the day of the game. Who wants to tailgate in St Paul?

Wrong.

The East River Flats have always been there. $10/game and a completely reasonable walk to the stadium by Big Ten standards (FWIW I'm just as traveled as you). The Minneapolis Parks Department runs it and has far more relaxed rules compared to the official U tailgating lots. The U doesn't own it or make any money off of it, so they don't advertise it.

The solution to student tailgating has always been there. I guess nobody has done a good enough job spreading the word.

The East River Flats have always been there. $10/game and a completely reasonable walk to the stadium by Big Ten standards (FWIW I'm just as traveled as you). T

My god man, you're asking people to walk up hill! :)

I totally forgot about the East River Flats. That's not a bad option.

Also, didn't the restrictions on selling parking spaces on game day go away? I remember the first year there were complaints. Maybe they can take another step soon and allow tailgating. I know I've seen people tailgating in the alley parking behind the US Bank off of Oak Street as well as people in the Affinity Plus parking lot. Beer, grills and chairs were present.

My god man, you're asking people to walk up hill! :)

I totally forgot about the East River Flats. That's not a bad option.

Also, didn't the restrictions on selling parking spaces on game day go away? I remember the first year there were complaints. Maybe they can take another step soon and allow tailgating. I know I've seen people tailgating in the alley parking behind the US Bank off of Oak Street as well as people in the Affinity Plus parking lot. Beer, grills and chairs were present.

Great point. I was wondering the same thing. I think this is a key for improving the game experience. I think a huge hinderance to the tailgating portion of gameday in these first few years of the new stadium has been that the options are limited and quite frankly all UofM marketed and controlled. If you go around the Big Ten, there's definitely no shortage of other options like you pointed out in the lots of businesses and other areas. It can only help!

Lastly, before I get off my East River Flats soapbox, if that walk up hill is really the major turn off, then so be it. Personally, I think it's a weak excuse, particularly for students. Particularly since when you've had a few, it's not that big of a deal. The wide open space and the grass are ideal for any and all tailgating games and good luck pulling off a seafood boil or a mini-bonfire in November in e.g. the Maroon Lot or C37.

I will also attest the River Flats are a great option if you want true tailgating experience. Great views of the river, you can see west bank buildings, and the back side of campus. Quiet - car-traffic wise - but fun with lots of people playing sports and lawn type games. Would take a LOT of people catching on before I'd consider this place 'crowded.' It's an easy out of campus by heading up to Pleasant and crossing the Wash Ave bridge. The walk up the hill (or stairs and through Coffman) is a 2 minute pain that one could argue helps burn off some of the beer/brat calories. Big deal.

As for students, I understand the 'sobering up' case, but even from the north-westernmost corner of Dinkytown (10th Ave and 8th St) it's a 1.3 mile walk. That's 25 minutes at a slightly drunk pace. One could even argue that's a good thing given in the fall, likely 66-70% of students living on/near campus aren't 21 yet - so a little sobering up might help avoid issues at the stadium. Not trying to kill people's buzz - a short walk is obviously preferable to a long one, and students getting a little crazy is great. Just some thoughts..

RailBaronYarr said:
It's an easy out of campus by heading up to Pleasant and crossing the Wash Ave bridge.

Not anymore. Will have to use East River Road, 94, or University/4th to get out of that corner in the future.

Not anymore. Will have to use East River Road, 94, or University/4th to get out of that corner in the future.

Are you sure about that? The Washington Ave Bridge will have a lane of traffic in each direction.

gophmeister said:
Are you sure about that? The Washington Ave Bridge will have a lane of traffic in each direction.

Interesting, I just looked it up. I assumed that since Washington ave will not be open to cars, that they would stop it before the bridge. That's good news.

Interesting, I just looked it up. I assumed that since Washington ave will not be open to cars, that they would stop it before the bridge. That's good news.

Pwnt. :)

I actually wasn't 100% sure it would still be the case but I was pretty sure I remember a lane of traffic remaining but being forced to exit at the Weisman. I couldn't remember if they'd leave the Pleasant Ave entrance open, though. If I were a campus planner I'd say close it - all it does is being through-traffic right in to the heart of campus where pedestrians and bicyclists reign.

Details emerging per the Daily: U plans tailgate lot for students
The University expects the lot to be ready by the start of football season next fall.

Executive associate athletics director David Benedict said the Victory Lot — a parking lot northeast of the stadium behind the Thompson Center for Environmental Management — is the only location the University is considering.

Both minors and adults who are older than 21 would be allowed in. Whyte said police would patrol the student tailgate lot similar to any other tailgate lot, but he made it clear students would not be carded at the entrance.

“The expectation would be if you’re not 21, you’re not going to be drinking,” he said.

The goal is to have the tailgate lot ready for Minnesota’s first home game on Aug. 29 against UNLV. Benedict and Whyte said there are no real barriers to stop the lot from being ready before then.

Hawthorne said the University needs to develop a culture of students attending football games to complete the game-day experience.

“I think for too long athletics have been viewed as kind of a luxury and not part of the essential foundation of being a student, regardless of where you are,” he said.

A full student section has an influence on the team’s performance and its ability to recruit, Hawthorne said.

“It really goes a long way in enhancing the complete game-day experience,” he said. “Students are the core of that.”

http://www.mndaily.com/university/administration/2013/05/06/u-plans-tailgate-lot-students

Go Gophers!!

Good location and nice to see you won't be treated like a 2 year old upon entering the lot. Although I don't know how they are going to "close" the lot once the game starts. Are they physically going to kick people out that don't plan on attending the game? Or just stop letting people in? I don't see how or why they can do either of the two, especially if your vehicle is still parked.

Pwnt. :)

I actually wasn't 100% sure it would still be the case but I was pretty sure I remember a lane of traffic remaining but being forced to exit at the Weisman. I couldn't remember if they'd leave the Pleasant Ave entrance open, though. If I were a campus planner I'd say close it - all it does is being through-traffic right in to the heart of campus where pedestrians and bicyclists reign.

"Central Corridor LRT tracks were built at street level on Washington Avenue, which is now a transit-pedestrian mall from Pleasant to Walnut streets, and across the Washington Avenue Bridge on the vehicular level."

Washington is closed to general traffic between Pleasant and Walnut. Only buses, emergency vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians will be allowed through this reach in addition to trains. Vehicular traffic can approach locations on the north side of Washington from Fourth Street and on the south side from Huron Boulevard. Vehicular traffic also can access Washington from Oak Street.

Traffic can cross Washington at signalized intersections at Harvard and Walnut.
Traffic is not permitted to access Washington from Church or Union.
Pedestrians can cross Washington at signalized intersections at Church, midblock between Church and Union, at Union, at Harvard, midblock between Harvard and Walnut and at Walnut. They are also to cross on the pedestrian bridges.
20-foot wide amenity zones for pedestrians are located in the center of Washington from Harvard to Walnut and Union to Church streets.

http://metrocouncil.org/Transportat...ects/Central-Corridor/Project-Facts/UofM.aspx

Wrong.

The East River Flats have always been there. $10/game and a completely reasonable walk to the stadium by Big Ten standards (FWIW I'm just as traveled as you). The Minneapolis Parks Department runs it and has far more relaxed rules compared to the official U tailgating lots. The U doesn't own it or make any money off of it, so they don't advertise it.

The solution to student tailgating has always been there. I guess nobody has done a good enough job spreading the word.

I park at East River Flats and agree it's a great, underrated tailgate spot. But I think NateDawg's point is that the U should be doing more to encourage tailgating at a reasonable cost somewhere near the stadium. This is a city lot, and you won't find it on any U of M materials related to game day parking or tailgating.

Agree with Thugunin. IMO the lots behind Baseline, Rider etc. would be the best (but are out of the question).

I liked this part best

Whyte mentioned the idea of having the marching band play a few songs in front of the students and then lead them into the stadium for the game.

Love before the hockey games when the band leads students around the bowl

Maybe I missed it, but what are the logistics?? I get that most students are already on campus, but can you park and set up a grill and play games? Or is it more of a gathering, socializing area? If it's the latter, I hope they have food/games to draw students in!

Maybe I missed it, but what are the logistics?? I get that most students are already on campus, but can you park and set up a grill and play games? Or is it more of a gathering, socializing area? If it's the latter, I hope they have food/games to draw students in!

How about face painting?

Face-Painting-2-225x300.jpg

And inflatables. Students love inflatables.

That they do
willferrell_4-1344488685.jpg

"Central Corridor LRT tracks were built at street level on Washington Avenue, which is now a transit-pedestrian mall from Pleasant to Walnut streets, and across the Washington Avenue Bridge on the vehicular level."

Washington is closed to general traffic between Pleasant and Walnut. Only buses, emergency vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians will be allowed through this reach in addition to trains. Vehicular traffic can approach locations on the north side of Washington from Fourth Street and on the south side from Huron Boulevard. Vehicular traffic also can access Washington from Oak Street.

Traffic can cross Washington at signalized intersections at Harvard and Walnut.
Traffic is not permitted to access Washington from Church or Union.
Pedestrians can cross Washington at signalized intersections at Church, midblock between Church and Union, at Union, at Harvard, midblock between Harvard and Walnut and at Walnut. They are also to cross on the pedestrian bridges.
20-foot wide amenity zones for pedestrians are located in the center of Washington from Harvard to Walnut and Union to Church streets.

http://metrocouncil.org/Transportat...ects/Central-Corridor/Project-Facts/UofM.aspx

I knew all that, I was referring to Pleasant Ave in campus - 1) will you be able to drive around East River Road and head west on Washington across the bridge (the answer is yes) and 2) my thought was that PLEASANT should be UMN buses and local access vehicles only from University down to Washington. Allowing cars to get on to Washington through campus like that turns the area in to a 'car sewer' instead of a place where people are.

Top Bottom