Tailgating Lot Planned for U Students UPDATED 5/7: Students won't be carded

Again....anybody know where this student lot will even be located???

"Executive associate athletics director David Benedict said the Victory Lot — a parking lot northeast of the stadium behind the Thompson Center for Environmental Management by the Student Entrance -is the only location the University is considering."

I don't get why the U just didn't originally come out and say that they were going to card at the entrance. By giving wristbands to 21+, they are officially carding.

http://www.mndaily.com/university/administration/2013/05/06/u-plans-tailgate-lot-students

"Both minors and adults who are older than 21 would be allowed in. Whyte said police would patrol the student tailgate lot similar to any other tailgate lot, but he made it clear students would not be carded at the entrance.

“The expectation would be if you’re not 21, you’re not going to be drinking,” he said."

I don't get why the U just didn't originally come out and say that they were going to card at the entrance. By giving wristbands to 21+, they are officially carding.

http://www.mndaily.com/university/administration/2013/05/06/u-plans-tailgate-lot-students

"Both minors and adults who are older than 21 would be allowed in. Whyte said police would patrol the student tailgate lot similar to any other tailgate lot, but he made it clear students would not be carded at the entrance.

“The expectation would be if you’re not 21, you’re not going to be drinking,” he said."

Lipservice?

Plans change. I don't like the idea, but May 7th until this week is a lot of time for various other factions at the U to step in and say "nuh uh" to that idea.

Will students have to show an actual game ticket? I would hope the idea is to encourage game attendance. If you're going to card at the door, why not encourage ticket purchases as well?

Over 80% of the season passes have been sold, so like always we're bitching about nothing. The students are buying in...

Over 80% of the season passes have been sold, so like always we're bitching about nothing. The students are buying in...

Good news. If 80% are gone already in the form of season passes, that means only 20% of the lot will be available for purchase by the game. I bet they go fast too. I hope that gets to be a solid go-to area for the kids. Just watching the '05 win over Purdue on BTN last week reminded me of how many more students were going to games at the dome in its last few years compared to TCF. The lack of avaialble "hang out" or tailgate spots has completely overshadowed the fact the stadium is now on campus for student attendance. They'd rather go across the river to a game in a crappy dome than they would attend a game in a first class on campus stadium as long as they've got pregame options.

Good news. If 80% are gone already in the form of season passes, that means only 20% of the lot will be available for purchase by the game. I bet they go fast too. I hope that gets to be a solid go-to area for the kids. Just watching the '05 win over Purdue on BTN last week reminded me of how many more students were going to games at the dome in its last few years compared to TCF. The lack of avaialble "hang out" or tailgate spots has completely overshadowed the fact the stadium is now on campus for student attendance. They'd rather go across the river to a game in a crappy dome than they would attend a game in a first class on campus stadium as long as they've got pregame options.
Good news, but I don't think we're ready to declare a success just yet. even if they get 10 kids huddled around every spot in that lot you'd only have about 1500 students. Perhaps they can start to expand once they fill this one up.

Certainly hope you're right. The presence of so many Sconie students and a few Iowegains makes me suspicious that spending $70 to get those games doesn't seem to be out of the question.

According to students at the tailgate lot, they put an undercover officer in there to try to do what? Entrap them?

The kids I talked to would rather have a super strict who gets in policy than to have to keep guarding your cooler so an underage or cop doesn't grab your bevies. Hard to play bags when you have to watch your back.

According to students at the tailgate lot, they put an undercover officer in there to try to do what? Entrap them?

The kids I talked to would rather have a super strict who gets in policy than to have to keep guarding your cooler so an underage or cop doesn't grab your bevies. Hard to play bags when you have to watch your back.

Yeah it was basically a sting op from what i've been told. People I know don't plan on using their spot any more

Yeah it was basically a sting op from what i've been told. People I know don't plan on using their spot any more

Its almost like the U would prefer to not have to have students at all. Imagine if they could all keep their cozy six figure jobs and do research without the requirements of teaching or managing student needs.

I have nothing but contempt for our U leadership.

I need to take deep breaths. If this is true, it is beyond outrageous. I'm coming to the conclusion 11 win seasons are the only way to get college kids to go to the games

I need to take deep breaths. If this is true, it is beyond outrageous. I'm coming to the conclusion 11 win seasons are the only way to get college kids to go to the games
7 or 8 wins with fewer rules seemed to work pretty well in the past.

That sounds implausible.

Edited because my meaning was unclear.

Bet it's 100% BS. I'll stick with that until someone is arrested.

We had security ask us to not use beer bottles unless poured into a cup. That was the extent of any sting operations I witnessed.

And that must mean every other student feels just the same as your friend(s)? Look I know that is not what you were in fact saying, but I suggest we don't over react to something if we were not in fact there to see for ourselves. That may have been your friend's impression, that there was some kind of singling out going on, but in actuality not what really went down. Last time I checked, there were also UMPD security drives-thrus/walk-thrus in every other tailgating lot on campus as well. And that is no different on any other B1G campus where their police forces make similar security checks in those tailgate lots. All of that said, I also hope as time goes on that the UMPD stays in check and doesn't unnecessarily "over-do" security in this one particular lot compared to the other lots. It would be unfortunate if the UMPD makes that mistake and gives it a "bad name". But as far as we know they have not done that.

Btw: It sounds like the student tailgate lot is expected to do quite well, and the parking passes are nearly sold out already. Check out today's story on it from the Minnesota Daily. http://www.mndaily.com/sports/stadiums/tcf-bank-stadium/2013/09/02/students-take-over-new-tailgating-area

And they will be fine as long as they don't blow a .341 and run onto the field.

Ha! I also saw that little blurb in the Iowa City Police report run down over on the Iowa board. That Hogeye chick with the .341 BAL is lucky she is still alive. Wow!

It being a "sting" is as goofy as those that thought the U would publicly say they won't card folks there. Pretty sure there are laws they must enforce. Like it or not that is just they way it is.

It being a "sting" is as goofy as those that thought the U would publicly say they won't card folks there. Pretty sure there are laws they must enforce. Like it or not that is just they way it is.

Ding, ding, ding. At any B1G school, a student-only/reserved tailgate lot would have to be managed essentially the same way. For PR sake there are minimum laws they will have to at least make an effort from time to time to "appear" to be enforcing VS. just letting it be a complete "free for all" in this lot or any lot. A complete "free for all" in a student-reserved tailgate lot would not be allowed to happen anywhere else in the country either. It just wouldn't. If it turned into that, we all know it would turn into a major PR, and potentially legal, headache for them.

That said, it doesn't mean students won't be ale to have a really good time in their reserved lot and have some drinks. I hope tons of them do. They will be able to find their way in there and figure out the "system" and how to "work" the system. Just like we all would try and do. I am sure of that. And I am sure undergrads will have their fair share of drinks in this lot...right, wrong or otherwise.

As Spoofin said, to call it a "sting" is silly and an over exaggeration, to say the least.

And that must mean every other student feels just the same as your friend(s)? Look I know that is not what you were in fact saying, but I suggest we don't over react to something if we were not in fact there to see for ourselves. That may have been your friend's impression, that there was some kind of singling out going on, but in actuality not what really went down. Last time I checked, there were also UMPD security drives-thrus/walk-thrus in every other tailgating lot on campus as well. And that is no different on any other B1G campus where their police forces make similar security checks in those tailgate lots. All of that said, I also hope as time goes on that the UMPD stays in check and doesn't unnecessarily "over-do" security in this one particular lot compared to the other lots. It would be unfortunate if the UMPD makes that mistake and gives it a "bad name". But as far as we know they have not done that.

Btw: It sounds like the student tailgate lot is expected to do quite well, and the parking passes are nearly sold out already. Check out today's story on it from the Minnesota Daily. http://www.mndaily.com/sports/stadiums/tcf-bank-stadium/2013/09/02/students-take-over-new-tailgating-area

Good points and good link. The Daily story seemed pretty balanced and fair.

The UMPD swings through our lot once or twice each game. They are very friendly and polite. If you are obeying the law, all is good.

Ha! I also saw that little blurb in the Iowa City Police report run down over on the Iowa board. That Hogeye chick with the .341 BAL is lucky she is still alive. Wow!

According to twitter she started drinking a couple hours after being released.

Top Bottom