Tailgating Lot Planned for U Students UPDATED 5/7: Students won't be carded

station19

Reaction score
http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Gophers’ executive associate athletics director David Benedict told Sports Headliners the University of Minnesota will designate a parking lot just for students as an incentive to increase ticket sales for football games this season.

Last week athletic department officials met with 55 student leaders representing various groups to talk about the idea. Benedict also said the student season ticket sale will begin next month. Student season ticket totals have been declining in recent years despite the move of football to campus from the Metrodome.

Last year the department contracted with the Aspire Group to sell tickets. Benedict said Aspire has sold approximately $1 million in tickets since last September, including 600 new football season tickets.

He also said the department hosted 100 potential purchasers of premium football seating at Saturday’s spring game. Those seating areas include suites and outdoor locations.

The Gophers aren't exactly playing Alabama that night.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Gophers’ executive associate athletics director David Benedict told Sports Headliners the University of Minnesota will designate a parking lot just for students as an incentive to increase ticket sales for football games this season.

Last week athletic department officials met with 55 student leaders representing various groups to talk about the idea. Benedict also said the student season ticket sale will begin next month. Student season ticket totals have been declining in recent years despite the move of football to campus from the Metrodome.

Last year the department contracted with the Aspire Group to sell tickets. Benedict said Aspire has sold approximately $1 million in tickets since last September, including 600 new football season tickets.

He also said the department hosted 100 potential purchasers of premium football seating at Saturday’s spring game. Those seating areas include suites and outdoor locations.

They "get" it. This makes me very happy.

Now they need to take the next step and spread the word to all the students. If this is done right it could be a great addition to gopher gamedays!

its nice to see that teague and co believe something that maturi didn't, that its ok to have fun and students can do so responsibly.

Now they need to take the next step and spread the word to all the students. If this is done right it could be a great addition to gopher gamedays!

As a current student, this would be awesome. I have always been jealous of the SEC, and the gameday atmosphere surrounding home games. The question would arise though how the University and police would handle alcohol consumption for students in this proposed lot. My assumption is that it would be not allowed which would make this attempt a little less likely to succeed.

I am not saying alcohol consumption is key to going to games for all students, but it is a part of games. Rules would have to be set up to make this successful, but to avoid it getting out of control.

I wonder why the Regent would be concerned with the opening game conflicting with the Vikings final preseason game. Has he/she ever watched 1) a preseason football game or 2) the last preseason football game? I'd say this will have little to no effect on Gopher game attendance.

Well for starters traffic. Imagine what 35 and 94 are going to be like with just a gopher and viking game taking place then add in that the state fair is going on at the same time. It may discourage a lot of people from coming to the game for the simple fact that they don't want to deal with the drive.

its nice to see that teague and co believe something that maturi didn't, that its ok to have fun and students can do so responsibly.

Amen. I think Maturi loved seeing campus empty before games so he would have a clear path for his golf cart.

This is obviously a GOOD thing, and something a lot of people like ME have been saying is needed for a long time. It is needed, badly, for the students. That being said, forgive me if I will reserve my final praise for later when it can be proven the lot is not sized at 6 parking spaces divided through a lottery, and overlooked by SWAT teams armed with AR-15's and rooftop snipers. If it is a good lot with the potential to pull in even moderate numbers like the old Washington Avenue tailgate area near the Metrodome, it will have an immediate positive impact for the students.

As a current student, this would be awesome. I have always been jealous of the SEC, and the gameday atmosphere surrounding home games. The question would arise though how the University and police would handle alcohol consumption for students in this proposed lot. My assumption is that it would be not allowed which would make this attempt a little less likely to succeed.

I am not saying alcohol consumption is key to going to games for all students, but it is a part of games. Rules would have to be set up to make this successful, but to avoid it getting out of control.

Copy Michigan States gameday rules verbatim:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/msu-gameday-tailgating.html

Alcohol &Tailgating

Open Container Ordinance

All fans are reminded of a the "open container" ordinance, adopted by the MSU Board of Trustees.The ordinance bans open containers of alcohol on campus and in all public areas of campus buildings.

However, on home football game days, enforcement of the ordinance will be suspended on campus for those of legal drinking age, during the hours parking lots are open for tailgating. Munn Field remains alcohol-free, as do the pedestrian areas immediately adjacent to Spartan Stadium as well as all public areas of campus buildings.

Be Responsible

You remembered your Spartan t-shirt, the football, the beer, and the Frisbee...did you remember the food? If you drink, make sure you eat. Pace your drinking. Know your limit. Watch out for your friends. Drinking laws are strictly enforced...if you're under 21 and blow a .02 on a preliminary Breathalyzer test, you will probably receive a Minor in Possession citation.

Basic message for those drinking under 21 years of age 1) eat some food 2) drink from opaque, plastic cup 3) don't draw attention to yourself.

Copy Michigan States gameday rules verbatim:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/msu-gameday-tailgating.html

Alcohol &Tailgating

Open Container Ordinance

All fans are reminded of a the "open container" ordinance, adopted by the MSU Board of Trustees.The ordinance bans open containers of alcohol on campus and in all public areas of campus buildings.

However, on home football game days, enforcement of the ordinance will be suspended on campus for those of legal drinking age, during the hours parking lots are open for tailgating. Munn Field remains alcohol-free, as do the pedestrian areas immediately adjacent to Spartan Stadium as well as all public areas of campus buildings.

Be Responsible

You remembered your Spartan t-shirt, the football, the beer, and the Frisbee...did you remember the food? If you drink, make sure you eat. Pace your drinking. Know your limit. Watch out for your friends. Drinking laws are strictly enforced...if you're under 21 and blow a .02 on a preliminary Breathalyzer test, you will probably receive a Minor in Possession citation.

Basic message for those drinking under 21 years of age 1) eat some food 2) drink from opaque, plastic cup 3) don't draw attention to yourself.

+1. Nice!

I wonder why the Regent would be concerned with the opening game conflicting with the Vikings final preseason game. Has he/she ever watched 1) a preseason football game or 2) the last preseason football game? I'd say this will have little to no effect on Gopher game attendance.

1.) another example of why the vikings org is a bunch of clueless jackoffs. schedule a pre-season game at the exact same time as the gophers season opener. stupid pricks. 2.) this is a prime reason why i thought it was stupid that the U of M made concessions to the freaking MN state fair that they would play season opening home games on thursday night's instead of a traditional saturday date. all just so that a bunch of overweight, redneck, inbred slobs can continue to park in the U of M parking lots on the weekends and take a bus over to the state fair for their 20th helping of fried snicker bars and cheese curds.

You mean there is more fun than just face painting?

1.) another example of why the vikings org is a bunch of clueless jackoffs. schedule a pre-season game at the exact same time as the gophers season opener. stupid pricks. 2.) this is a prime reason why i thought it was stupid that the U of M made concessions to the freaking MN state fair that they would play season opening home games on thursday night's instead of a traditional saturday date. all just so that a bunch of overweight, redneck, inbred slobs can continue to park in the U of M parking lots on the weekends and take a bus over to the state fair for their 20th helping of fried snicker bars and cheese curds.
The problem is Gopher apathy. It is nothing to do with the Vikings.

I'll believe this when the rules of engagement are determined. Also, who wants to take the other side of a bet that this will be lot C89, where several of us were booted out of?

As for supadupafly's point, the Saturday of Labor Day weekend is the busiest day of the State Fair by far, usually with well over 200K there. Having the home opener Thursday night (when attendance is less than half of LDW Saturday) frees up a lot of things beyond Gopher football.

The U...what "a bunch of clueless jackoffs. schedule a [...] game at the exact same time" as many season openers for area high schools.

Is it a 2 way street? The U wants support from the state and all of its coaches and schools, yet treats them, in this case, the same way the Vikes treated the U.

Those assumed to be beneath one rarely get consideration...sad.

This is good news indeed (back to the original post). I couldn't happen to notice as I made my way to the Spring game on Saturday, that the students were having a pretty fun time all day long. SpringFest seems like a pretty good party, and it would be great to channel some of that into Gopher Football Saturdays.

Well for starters traffic. Imagine what 35 and 94 are going to be like with just a gopher and viking game taking place then add in that the state fair is going on at the same time. It may discourage a lot of people from coming to the game for the simple fact that they don't want to deal with the drive.

The 15,000 fans that stay until the end to watch the guys that will be cut the following day won't have an impact on traffic. And 94 was backed up going home from the spring game but that didn't stop 8500 fans from showing up. That's just someone looking for a reason not to go to the game, potential traffic.

I do agree that if they put this lot on West Bank or St Paul it's a doomed effort. Go for the old marching band practice field between the softball field and track. Great area, confined space, and few egress points which technically make things easier for cops if need be. Super close to Dinkytown to make the house to stadium walk a natural sell for students - leave 1-2 hours earlier and hit up the party lot! Not too far from the stadium to not convince the SV side of campus to attend.

Of course, they could also go different and do it on the Mall or McNamara plaza. Or do the Superblock area for that side of campus and the paved field for the other side, try to get students to coordinate a march of them that meet at the student entrance at the same time? I dunno, just thoughts.

agree that this really needs to be in a lot pretty close to the stadium to get the desired correlation of more students going inside and actually attending the game. i.e. not just partying in some distant lot and then never making it into the game at any point because they perceive it is too far from the stadium to want to buy tickets/walk there.

this can't be: a.) off in a place where students have to take any type of shuttle. it just can't be. the main concentration of on-campus students is near the sporting complexes. this is where the student tailgate lot needs to be. easy to walk to, easy to walk from the lot to the stadium for the game. b.) it can't be patrolled gestapo-esque style by the UMPD or MPD. they need to take an approach similar to other big ten school's (such as MSU) and be willing to turn a blind eye at times as much as is reasonable, appropriate. don't make it feel to students like a place where they are simply going to go and then end up getting get an underage consumption ticket/fine if they try to have a bit of fun with fellow co-eds. c.) don't try and over manage the process. i.e. let the students decide themselves how they want the space and environment within it to grow and traditions to take form, etc. let it be THEIR space and THEIR thing.

finally, they should let students bring in vehicles and also come in by foot. just like the current tailgate lots. don't insist that students can't park cars/trucks there. let them do some actual "tailgating" if they happen to have a vehicle.

You are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. lol

News flash, the Vikings don't control who they play. That's the NFL.

You are becoming a bigger and bigger joke. lol

News flash, the Vikings don't control who they play. That's the NFL.

Wrong...they (Vikings) do control the pre-season schedule.

Maybe we'll actually top 4,000 in student tickets sold this year.

Do most Universities have tailgating lots for students...or just bigger tailgating lots that all fans in general share?

Do most Universities have tailgating lots for students...or just bigger tailgating lots that all fans in general share?

I've tailgated at all 12 Big Ten schools so I think I could be considered an expert.

Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Indiana, Penn State and Ohio State all have places within shouting distance of the stadium where you can pay a reasonable amount ($10-30ish) to park when you show up for game day. It's first come, first serve, but similar to our parking situation at the Metrodome (just more expansive.)

I think most people here have been to Wisconsin, but being in a residential neighborhood there is hardly any parking. That said, it's loaded with bars and student housing so while it's not tradition tailgating, there's a huge party. I'm not sure they even enforce laws on game day.

Nebraska's campus and stadium are located on the north edge of downtown Lincoln, so it's more of an urban feel than most Big Ten campuses. Parking is a premium, there are a few small lots that students can afford but they don't have a massive tailgating scene. Lincoln allows tailgating on private lots, so usually ever random lot has something going on. There are a ton of bars nearby and that's the pre-game of choice for many Husker fans.

Northwestern has free parking lots not terribly far from the stadium, and you don't have to spend much to get a spot right next to the stadium. does Northwestern even count?

Meanwhile, we don't offer a SINGLE lot in Minneapolis for tailgating that you can purchase for a reasonable amount the day of the game. Who wants to tailgate in St Paul?

Top Bottom