Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Tailgating Lot Planned for U Students UPDATED 5/7: Students won't be carded

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Gophers’ executive associate athletics director David Benedict told Sports Headliners the University of Minnesota will designate a parking lot just for students as an incentive to increase ticket sales for football games this season.

Last week athletic department officials met with 55 student leaders representing various groups to talk about the idea. Benedict also said the student season ticket sale will begin next month. Student season ticket totals have been declining in recent years despite the move of football to campus from the Metrodome.

Last year the department contracted with the Aspire Group to sell tickets. Benedict said Aspire has sold approximately $1 million in tickets since last September, including 600 new football season tickets.

He also said the department hosted 100 potential purchasers of premium football seating at Saturday’s spring game. Those seating areas include suites and outdoor locations.

Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post
    I wonder why the Regent would be concerned with the opening game conflicting with the Vikings final preseason game. Has he/she ever watched 1) a preseason football game or 2) the last preseason football game? I'd say this will have little to no effect on Gopher game attendance.
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

The Gophers aren't exactly playing Alabama that night.

Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post
    http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Gophers’ executive associate athletics director David Benedict told Sports Headliners the University of Minnesota will designate a parking lot just for students as an incentive to increase ticket sales for football games this season.

Last week athletic department officials met with 55 student leaders representing various groups to talk about the idea. Benedict also said the student season ticket sale will begin next month. Student season ticket totals have been declining in recent years despite the move of football to campus from the Metrodome.

Last year the department contracted with the Aspire Group to sell tickets. Benedict said Aspire has sold approximately $1 million in tickets since last September, including 600 new football season tickets.

He also said the department hosted 100 potential purchasers of premium football seating at Saturday’s spring game. Those seating areas include suites and outdoor locations.
    They "get" it. This makes me very happy.
    Follow me on Twitter: @NadineBabu

Now they need to take the next step and spread the word to all the students. If this is done right it could be a great addition to gopher gamedays!

its nice to see that teague and co believe something that maturi didn't, that its ok to have fun and students can do so responsibly.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfreak89 View Post
    Now they need to take the next step and spread the word to all the students. If this is done right it could be a great addition to gopher gamedays!
    As a current student, this would be awesome. I have always been jealous of the SEC, and the gameday atmosphere surrounding home games. The question would arise though how the University and police would handle alcohol consumption for students in this proposed lot. My assumption is that it would be not allowed which would make this attempt a little less likely to succeed.

I am not saying alcohol consumption is key to going to games for all students, but it is a part of games. Rules would have to be set up to make this successful, but to avoid it getting out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Riggins View Post
    I wonder why the Regent would be concerned with the opening game conflicting with the Vikings final preseason game. Has he/she ever watched 1) a preseason football game or 2) the last preseason football game? I'd say this will have little to no effect on Gopher game attendance.
    Well for starters traffic. Imagine what 35 and 94 are going to be like with just a gopher and viking game taking place then add in that the state fair is going on at the same time. It may discourage a lot of people from coming to the game for the simple fact that they don't want to deal with the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    its nice to see that teague and co believe something that maturi didn't, that its ok to have fun and students can do so responsibly.
    Amen. I think Maturi loved seeing campus empty before games so he would have a clear path for his golf cart.

This is obviously a GOOD thing, and something a lot of people like ME have been saying is needed for a long time. It is needed, badly, for the students. That being said, forgive me if I will reserve my final praise for later when it can be proven the lot is not sized at 6 parking spaces divided through a lottery, and overlooked by SWAT teams armed with AR-15's and rooftop snipers. If it is a good lot with the potential to pull in even moderate numbers like the old Washington Avenue tailgate area near the Metrodome, it will have an immediate positive impact for the students.

11. Default

Enjoy it before it's razed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thugunin View Post
    As a current student, this would be awesome. I have always been jealous of the SEC, and the gameday atmosphere surrounding home games. The question would arise though how the University and police would handle alcohol consumption for students in this proposed lot. My assumption is that it would be not allowed which would make this attempt a little less likely to succeed.

I am not saying alcohol consumption is key to going to games for all students, but it is a part of games. Rules would have to be set up to make this successful, but to avoid it getting out of control.
    Copy Michigan States gameday rules verbatim:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...ailgating.html

Alcohol &Tailgating

Open Container Ordinance

All fans are reminded of a the "open container" ordinance, adopted by the MSU Board of Trustees.The ordinance bans open containers of alcohol on campus and in all public areas of campus buildings.

However, on home football game days, enforcement of the ordinance will be suspended on campus for those of legal drinking age, during the hours parking lots are open for tailgating. Munn Field remains alcohol-free, as do the pedestrian areas immediately adjacent to Spartan Stadium as well as all public areas of campus buildings.

Be Responsible

You remembered your Spartan t-shirt, the football, the beer, and the Frisbee...did you remember the food? If you drink, make sure you eat. Pace your drinking. Know your limit. Watch out for your friends. Drinking laws are strictly enforced...if you're under 21 and blow a .02 on a preliminary Breathalyzer test, you will probably receive a Minor in Possession citation.

Basic message for those drinking under 21 years of age 1) eat some food 2) drink from opaque, plastic cup 3) don't draw attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by norman dale View Post

Copy Michigan States gameday rules verbatim:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...ailgating.html

Alcohol &Tailgating

Open Container Ordinance

All fans are reminded of a the "open container" ordinance, adopted by the MSU Board of Trustees.The ordinance bans open containers of alcohol on campus and in all public areas of campus buildings.

However, on home football game days, enforcement of the ordinance will be suspended on campus for those of legal drinking age, during the hours parking lots are open for tailgating. Munn Field remains alcohol-free, as do the pedestrian areas immediately adjacent to Spartan Stadium as well as all public areas of campus buildings.

Be Responsible

You remembered your Spartan t-shirt, the football, the beer, and the Frisbee...did you remember the food? If you drink, make sure you eat. Pace your drinking. Know your limit. Watch out for your friends. Drinking laws are strictly enforced...if you're under 21 and blow a .02 on a preliminary Breathalyzer test, you will probably receive a Minor in Possession citation.

Basic message for those drinking under 21 years of age 1) eat some food 2) drink from opaque, plastic cup 3) don't draw attention to yourself.
    +1. Nice!
    #BrickByBrick

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Riggins View Post
    1.) another example of why the vikings org is a bunch of clueless jackoffs. schedule a pre-season game at the exact same time as the gophers season opener. stupid pricks. 2.) this is a prime reason why i thought it was stupid that the U of M made concessions to the freaking MN state fair that they would play season opening home games on thursday night's instead of a traditional saturday date. all just so that a bunch of overweight, redneck, inbred slobs can continue to park in the U of M parking lots on the weekends and take a bus over to the state fair for their 20th helping of fried snicker bars and cheese curds.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    You mean there is more fun than just face painting?

Quote Originally Posted by supadupafly View Post
    1.) another example of why the vikings org is a bunch of clueless jackoffs. schedule a pre-season game at the exact same time as the gophers season opener. stupid pricks. 2.) this is a prime reason why i thought it was stupid that the U of M made concessions to the freaking MN state fair that they would play season opening home games on thursday night's instead of a traditional saturday date. all just so that a bunch of overweight, redneck, inbred slobs can continue to park in the U of M parking lots on the weekends and take a bus over to the state fair for their 20th helping of fried snicker bars and cheese curds.
    The problem is Gopher apathy. It is nothing to do with the Vikings.
    "Most people wear clothes out in public that I could not even imagine wearing around the house"

I'll believe this when the rules of engagement are determined. Also, who wants to take the other side of a bet that this will be lot C89, where several of us were booted out of?

As for supadupafly's point, the Saturday of Labor Day weekend is the busiest day of the State Fair by far, usually with well over 200K there. Having the home opener Thursday night (when attendance is less than half of LDW Saturday) frees up a lot of things beyond Gopher football.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by supadupafly View Post
    The U...what "a bunch of clueless jackoffs. schedule a [...] game at the exact same time" as many season openers for area high schools.

Is it a 2 way street? The U wants support from the state and all of its coaches and schools, yet treats them, in this case, the same way the Vikes treated the U.

Those assumed to be beneath one rarely get consideration...sad.

19. Default

This is good news indeed (back to the original post). I couldn't happen to notice as I made my way to the Spring game on Saturday, that the students were having a pretty fun time all day long. SpringFest seems like a pretty good party, and it would be great to channel some of that into Gopher Football Saturdays.

Where would they think of putting this lot?
    "True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a G$#@%&* magic show ready to double team your girlfriend..." -Mitch Martin