All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Even though Oto is technically a Jr, he will graduate next year and would be a candidate to be sent packing (if his play doesn't improve).

I see next year as being minimum of 4 available schollies if Pitino needs and possibly 6 if we sign Buckles and Big Mo will have graduated and if the slimmed down version isn't performing. Again, another guy that can be pushed out.

Lots of options for next year.

Unbelievable.

I assumed that the scholarship to Joey King probably meant Oto is in his final year. Not sure that a school owes a fifth year on scholarship to an athlete who has not been overly productive during his first four. Anyway that is how Tubby saw it with Kevin Payton.

I assumed that the scholarship to Joey King probably meant Oto is in his final year. Not sure that a school owes a fifth year on scholarship to an athlete who has not been overly productive during his first four. Anyway that is how Tubby saw it with Kevin Payton.

Tubby would never push a scholarship player out. Just ask Sparky.

I doubt Oto would be "sent packing", but i could see him deciding to use the graduate transfer rule after next year. Depending on what our SF/PF situation looks like, he may want to leave to get more playing time at another school. I think he could do pretty well in a smaller conference where his shot wouldn't be contested as much by smaller defenders. Or, he may stay and surprise us. Maybe he too has responded well to the coaching change and will flourish in Pitino's system.

Remember, Oto was a nonqualifier. Doesn't mean a transfer couldn't happen next summer, but I don't know where he's at academically.

(And more importantly, there are many variables with any program and certainly Minnesota's... no need to start deciding "who goes and who stays".)

Remember, Oto was a nonqualifier. Doesn't mean a transfer couldn't happen next summer, but I don't know where he's at academically.

(And more importantly, there are many variables with any program and certainly Minnesota's... no need to start deciding "who goes and who stays".)

OH Warrior, and take away the fun of GH'ers saying pull a players scholly and give it to (fill in the blank)

per Shooter:

Gophers men's basketball coach Richard Pitino will be introdued by athletics director Norwood Teague at a Dunkers' breakfast July 9 at the Minneapolis Club.

By the way, don't be surprised if Pitino brings another of his former Florida International players to the Gophers.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23543270/shooter-now-tom-vannelli-connor-hurley-top-local

Go Gophers!!

Is that just a cheap way of saying Buckles might come. That's not news unless it's going to be announced soon.

OH Warrior, and take away the fun of GH'ers saying pull a players scholly and give it to (fill in the blank)
I believe that Oto's four years of eligibility is up after this year. Because he was a non qualifier his first year the Gophers can apply for him to get another year of eligibility and it will most likely be given. However if the coaching staff would prefer to use that scholarship to bring in a different recruit they would have to do nothing. As it now stands there would be 4 scholarships for 2014 unless the Gophers apply for Oto to gain another year of eligibility.
This means that the Gophers could sign four recruits during the fall signing period. They would still have the option of bringing Oto back for a fifth year assuming someone else transferred or left the team after the 2013 season. I am sure GW will correct me if I'm wrong.

I am sure GW will correct me if I'm wrong.

Oto's deal was very odd, but the thing to know is he should be fine to play next year if he's making fine academic progress.

Sometimes things that Tubby said weren't... entirely accurate.

Top Bottom