All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Minnesconsin fan

Reaction score
Now that we have a head coach that will get on the road and hit the recruiting trail hard, I thought we should have one spot to put news and info on our targets for this spring and the big year next year. Probably don't need info on the Big 3 that have their own threads going but more info on the other kids would be good.

Jahlil Okafor lead the MacIrvin Fire to the title on Sunday in Milwaukee. Reports are that he and Tyus have a pact to be a package deal somewhere but Tubby couldn't get Jahlil to take his phone calls. Does Coach Pitino have a better chance to get a foot in the door?

also seen on twitter today from Ryan James
Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 11h

The name I think Gopher fans should watch is Rivals150 PG Shavar Newkirk out of the Bronx. Pitino and Kimani Young offered him while at FIU.

Here is an article on Shavar Newkirk from Zags Blog:

shavar--300x300.jpg

NEW YORK — Shavar Newkirk already has a fistful of Division 1 scholarship offers, but he’s not satisfied.

The 6-foot Cardinal Hayes junior point guard holds offers from Seton Hall, Providence, Iona, Manhattan and Hofstra, among others.

“I hope to get more offers by continuing to put in the hard work,” Newkirk said this weekend after averaging 19.5 points as Hayes went 1-1 in two games at the SNY Invitational.

“I can’t stop getting better,” he added. “I have to work on every apsect of my game. That’s what makes me a good player, to have an all-around game, not just one specific thing.”

Newkirk is a tough, gritty New York City floor general with good court vision and a competitive edge. He needs to continue to develop his shooting stroke to take it to the next level.

“When Shavar becomes a real, real knock-down jump shooter then his recruiting is really going to skyrocket,” Cardinal Hayes coach Joe Lods said. “But that’s something he can work on. He’s got all the intangibles. Nobody wants to win more than him.”

Photo: NY Post

Get that right elbow under the ball..... :)

that was my thought too-- when he gets decent form, maybe he will become a real knock-down jump shooter like his coach says. Or sometimes guys with bad form can shoot it enough to get good with it, but the odds are against it.

I like the looks of this Newkirk kid. Could potentially start right away or be a 6th man. All depends on Pitino's thoughts on Coleman and Mav though and who else we may bring in.

If he is capable, could allow Dre to shift to the 2 more often and/or just give us a second ball handler.

I like the looks of this Newkirk kid. Could potentially start right away or be a 6th man. All depends on Pitino's thoughts on Coleman and Mav though and who else we may bring in.

If he is capable, could allow Dre to shift to the 2 more often and/or just give us a second ball handler.

Newkirk is in the class of 2014 so Mav will be gone by then. I would assume Pitino will go after Tyus as his #1 PG choice in 2014, but Newkirk could very well still be in the mix. He does have an Iowa St. offer according to rivals.

Mav wouldn't affect the Newkirk scenarios at all, since he is Class of 2014.

I like that he is known as a gritty NYC floor general type PG. We could definitely use that sort of toughness and leadership.

The name that interests me most from my GHole research is Josh Davis PF who graduated from Tulane 17ppg & 10rpg. He would be a transfer eligible next year and use a scholarship for one year only. FIU SG Malik Smith, I believe falls into the same sorta one and done category.

I like that he is known as a gritty NYC floor general type PG. We could definitely use that sort of toughness and leadership.

I didn't watch all the tape, but he is so quick. It will be fun to see if we pursue. I'm sold on the DeLaSalle PG in the class of 2015.

I didn't watch all the tape, but he is so quick. It will be fun to see if we pursue. I'm sold on the DeLaSalle PG in the class of 2015.

Which one? Based on 3 state tournament games Anim is just as good as Johnson, or maybe a little bit better. I guess that's not the conventional wisdom at this point, but it's what I saw.

My mistake, missed that apparently.

I did the same thing, the thread title is misleading since he is talking about spring recruiting. I assumed he was talking about a spring 2013 prospect.

The basketball axiom that resonates is those who press don't necessarily like to be pressed - so true as to the vulnerability of Tubby's defensive and recruiting philosophies. Young Pitino knows better because taught by dad.

Who among us looks forward to having true PGs who can break B1G presses and turn them into fast break baskets instead of pitiful turnovers?

Nah, we only need one PG. Hoffarber can always run point, if necessary.

Looks like Sina's already going to Northwestern.

Henry already has a top three of Miami, South Carolina, and USF.

Jordan has a top three of UCLA (no more Howland, though), St. John's, and Temple.

Etou has offers from Kansas, Memphis, Maryland, Miami, and West Virginia.

I think we're a little late to the party for Rivals150 recruits.

Looks like Sina's already going to Northwestern.

Henry already has a top three of Miami, South Carolina, and USF.

Jordan has a top three of UCLA (no more Howland, though), St. John's, and Temple.

Etou has offers from Kansas, Memphis, Maryland, Miami, and West Virginia.

I think we're a little late to the party for Rivals150 recruits.

Sina decommitted from Northwestern

Zach Johnson ‏@ZachJohnsonGI 9m
Breaking News on GI about the possible transfer of a former 4-star power forward and the 36th ranked player in the class of 2009. #Gophers

Doing a little investigating it looks like he is referring to Rakeem Buckles.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Minnesota/b...ckles-66238;_ylt=Aln2.ZSzrrJXqCPTHlpgkg_SspB4

Looks like he was set to go to FIU. Here are his stats at Louisville...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/45949/rakeem-buckles

Doing a little investigating it looks like he is referring to Rakeem Buckles.

I believe Buckles transferred from Louisville last year and was going to be eligible to play for FIU this coming season.

F*** yea CP, go get that money.

Buckles coming to Minneapolis.

Now the NCAA needs to play ball and get the transfer waiver approved.

Top Bottom