Railings everwhere!

at the bar

Reaction score
Why are there railings in every aisle in TCF stadium? In the dome there are only railings in the upper deck because the stairs are steep. In TCF I don't think the slope is great so to me the railings are not needed unless there is some building code requiring them. I think many fans that get seats close to the aisle are going to be disappointed with an obstructed view due to a railing blocking parts of the field.

Building Standards

Why are there railings in every aisle in TCF stadium? In the dome there are only railings in the upper deck because the stairs are steep. In TCF I don't think the slope is great so to me the railings are not needed unless there is some building code requiring them. I think many fans that get seats close to the aisle are going to be disappointed with an obstructed view due to a railing blocking parts of the field.

There are building safety standards/codes in place now that were not in place when the Dome was built. Liability insurace companies are also demanding certain safety features to receive the optimum rates. The general population is also growing older with more limited mobility. It all makes good sense but I sure hope site lines are not impacted.

There are building safety standards/codes in place now that were not in place when the Dome was built. Liability insurace companies are also demanding certain safety features to receive the optimum rates. The general population is also growing older with more limited mobility. It all makes good sense but I sure hope site lines are not impacted.

Agreed, I'm sure it's building codes. Older stadiums like Camp Randall don't even have railings in the upper deck even when they are really steep. This is a good thing as more people can comfortably and safely see the Gophers. Also, it's a railing...It's diameter is 3 inches, tops. You'll likely have more issues with your site line being blocked by really tall people like me than you will by any railings. :)

Obstructed view?

Only if you are sitting and then that's your problem. ON YOUR FEET!

Believe me, I'm going to be watching where all of the blue hairs choose their seats the next few weeks so I don't get stuck in an area that yells at me to sit down everytime I stand up.

Believe me, I'm going to be watching where all of the blue hairs choose their seats the next few weeks so I don't get stuck in an area that yells at me to sit down everytime I stand up.

You have been yelled at for standing? Wow, Gopher Nation, I am disappointed in some of you. :mad:

We are going to be everywhere. You will not be able to escape us.

You have been yelled at for standing? Wow, Gopher Nation, I am disappointed in some of you. :mad:

Unfortunately I was yelled at on a weekly basis for standing up and yelling on 3rd down:mad: I even had one lady if front of me scold me for yelling and whistling because it was breaking her concentration for her doing her crossword puzzles.

Unfortunately I was yelled at on a weekly basis for standing up and yelling on 3rd down:mad: I even had one lady if front of me scold me for yelling and whistling because it was breaking her concentration for her doing her crossword puzzles.

Truly a shame. But not to worry.

I believe the handbook of sports fan etiquette discusses the solution to this exact situation: the lady in question shall recieve nacho cheese in and around her face, and mustard on and around her crossword puzzle... If said cheese or mustard is not available, you are free to use stadium beer for either, so long as said beer did not cost more than $6.00, in which case you are to procure the nearest foam finger and administer a swift strike to the lady in question.

If this should ever happen again, im counting on you, Foster, to deliver.

The American with Disabilities Act

Minnesota's is the first complete stadium in the Big Ten that has been built since the passage of the ADA. All the new construction at Ohio State and Illinois have included hand railings in the aisles.

Enforcement of the ADA is what cut Michigan Stadium's capacity in the years while they are putting in the new structures. Every handicapped seat required the equivalent of about 10 bleacher seats (2 seats in 5 rows). Hand railings are coming to Ann Arbor, too.

YOU Must Set The Tone at Game 1 !!!!

"I was once yelled at for...clapping too loud. Seriously. " . . . YOTG

You turn the people behind you, and announce to the people in front of you "folks, college football is a participation sport for fans, too. When our boys are driving, make a 1st down, get a 3-and-out, score, or otherwise do something worthy of prompting it - I'm going to: yell, shout, wave my flag/foam finger, stand up, or any combination of the above, and generally act like, well, you know - A BIG TEN FAN. And by the way, when we screw up, a hat may get tossed, and I may spontaneously spew forth with a bad word (or three). If you can't handle that, then I can't help you. I invite you all however, to 'grow a pair' and show some enthusiasm."

I had a verrrrryyyy quiet older couple seated directly behind me for years at the Hump. While they could never be accused of anything more than a golf-clap - they also never complained about my standing/shouting/swearing/jumping/flag-waving. In other words they "got it" even if they didn't participate. I always told them at the 1st game every year that: a. it was great to see them again, and b. apologized in advance for anything that I may spontaneously do or say in support of our Golden Gophers or in being a fan.

You must employ this (or some similar strategy) from minute one, game one, and set that tone firmly and unashamedly at the outset.

Top Bottom