Gophers at Penn State

Kov25

Section 212 Row 35 Seats 1-5
Reaction score
A group of 4-6 Gopher fans are heading to Happy Valley this October. For anyone who has done it before... any tips? Hotels? Travel? Tickets? Tailgating?

Thanks!

I can't help you with information buy I'm driving out to that game and I will stay on the east coast for a week and then go to the Ohio State game on the way back.

penn state

very tough place to go to. If you don't have your hotel soon, you will be driving for hours to get to the game. $149.00 so far for the flight. Tickets are had through the Ticket office. I have been there 3 times.

very tough place to go to. If you don't have your hotel soon, you will be driving for hours to get to the game. $149.00 so far for the flight. Tickets are had through the Ticket office. I have been there 3 times.

If you didn't have your hotel in December it's too late. It's much tougher to go to State College now than it was a few years ago. It doesn't help that our game is homecoming this year... but every game we play in October is homecoming, so that's not really surprising.

If you didn't have your hotel in December it's too late. It's much tougher to go to State College now than it was a few years ago. It doesn't help that our game is homecoming this year... but every game we play in October is homecoming, so that's not really surprising.

I second all of this. A road trip to Penn State is something that is probably best done if you've got an RV or are willing to camp out somewhere.

We considered making this trip this year, but there are a ton of hoops to jump through to get a hotel within 30 minutes of the stadium. First of all, because there is so much demand for hotels around State College on football weekends, you have to fill out an application for your room, which you can request directly from the hotel. These were due months ago, so I doubt there are many rooms available. As mentioned above, the Minnesota weekend is particularly tricky this year, as it's PSU's Homecoming. The other thing that makes road trips challenging are the hotel rates, which get jacked sky-high for football weekends. IIRC, we were looking at a room that normally goes for $99/night and was like $350-400/night over football weekends. Ouch.

When I went to Penn State I coupled it with a hike through the Delaware water gap. If you are a hiker type, then find a place out in that area. Get up really early to make the drive into State College with the rest of the locals.

Kov25 - eight of us went to the PSU-MSU game last November. I made my reservation in June and was able to book it online at the Springhill Suites in State College for $300/night plus tax. I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but other hotels right in State College were available as well. MSU was not a big draw and the weekend before thanksgiving may have made the difference (plus this being homecoming).

I have all my information from the notes I sent to my friends.

We stubhubbed our tickets and paid $200 for decent seats (again - this was about four months before the game, Lower Level - Section WB, Row 17) and $100 for bad seats (Upper Level Endzone - Section SGU, Row 71) - two sets of 4. At the time I was looking, I checked all the games, average seats; Coastal Carolina ($80), Oregon State ($150), Temple ($100), Illinois ($170), Michigan ($350), Indiana ($120) and MSU ($150). This tickets went up as PSU continued to win, so I was glad I got them early.

We tailgated just northeast of the stadium in a field and had a good time. We got off of 322 at Park Avenue and ended up between Orchard and Fox Hollow. Didn't see any real restrictions as we had bottles, grills, games, music and liquor. Got there around 7:30 for a noon game. The hotel had maps of the parking that we used. After the game we went back to our hotel to drink there (because we're sad, pathetic alcoholics), but I think all the bars are on College Avenue.

Hotels are long gone. I'm planning on flying in and winging it if need be, because Penn State is worth it - best trip in the B10 by a wide margin. A former roommate went to PSU and says he still knows someone who lives there, so I'm hoping to crash with that person.

Or . . . Do What norman dale & spermophilus Did . . .

last time (the "Brandon Owens" game) and - sleep in the car!

A football weekend in State College is worth putting up with some inconveniences to experience.

That's why I like to chide him with the ol' "we'll always have Happy Valley" line.

:D

Rent an RV...tailgating is the way to go!

I loved the tailgating there.....wish the U could do some of the same.

That is the problem when it is in in the city....that land over by the rail yards...look inviting...make a tunnel or bridge under the rails??!

Go Gophers!

GM

Hotels are long gone. I'm planning on flying in and winging it if need be, because Penn State is worth it - best trip in the B10 by a wide margin. A former roommate went to PSU and says he still knows someone who lives there, so I'm hoping to crash with that person.

Wait do you even know the person??

I loved the tailgating there.....wish the U could do some of the same.

That is the problem when it is in in the city....that land over by the rail yards...look inviting...make a tunnel or bridge under the rails??!

Go Gophers!

GM

We all have to accept that we're never going to have that kind of tailgate scene. Too urban a campus.

Also, which land are you referring too? There really isn't a lot of space when I look at Google maps.

One of the best trips, worth every inconvenience!!!

We were there in 2004 and stayed in Clearfield, PA. Not bad but a long ways from the stadium. It was definitely worth it as it was one of the best (if not the best) trip we have been on. We took a 1976 RV out there and it seemed to take forever but we got to see a win!!! We left a couple hours after the game to begin the long trek home. People we talked to were able to score some rooms the week before the game for a reasonable price but you might have to try something a ways away if want something for sure.

Some thoughts

I have made the trip to State College twice.

1) I stayed in Altoona, which seemed out far enough to not be a total zoo (both in terms of hubub and cost) but not too far to make the game day another huge drive (it took me 8 hours just to get to Altoona). As I recall Altoona to State College was about 45 minutes.

2) Make an entire day of it. Plan for several hours before and after the game. If you don't you are setting yourself up for major frustration. You cannot overestimate the traffic hassle trying to get in and out of State College. While the situation was greatly improved between my trips in 2006 and 2008 (Lots of new four -lane highways) between Altoona and State College - the fact of the matter is that at some point, everything bottlenecks to a single lane. While they do as good a job as they can with traffic control, you can't put 3 rows of cars on a single lane highway and the post-game traffic flow reflects that.

3) People in State College are pretty nice for the most part. Note that the lots where students tend to congregate (just north and west of the stadium) are considerably more hardcore than some of the others. Last year, I did the lots north and east (not too far from the RVs) and it was very congenial. Some razzing, but nothing you can't handle

4) I personally find the stadium experience over-rated. The visitors seats in the north east corner cut the loudness from the student section, so I think that is part of the reason for my opinon. I have been in that corner twice (lower level) and only when action is past the 20 at the other end of the field do you have to watch the video board instead.

5) Repeat of point No.3 for emphasis. Seriously, especially if you have a Noon game, plan on eating/drinking and visiting for 2-3 hours after the game to make your life easier. Otherwise you are going to do a lot of sitting in a car, literally moving forward a few inches every 15 minutes. Picking a lot where you want to tailgate and understanding the traffic flow to get to that lot helps too. Find a car with a satellite dish set up. That will make a lot of time go by quickly.

6) Penn State has a game -day guide on their website that you can download. (if you buy your tickets through them or through Minnesota - you should get a copy with the tickets). Look it over because it will explain a lot. (Note: They do allow small generators - but if you are trying to power 4,000 watts, then there might be an issue - I won't make THAT mistake again.

7. The game should be at a time of peak fall color. Part of my frustration has been leaving Ohio/West Virginia as the sun goes down and losing all sense of direction. I had a Garmin last time which was much better, although several new roads hadn't been updated yet, which made the Garmin keep thinking I was driving over a cliff. But the morning drive from Altoona to State College had some spectacular displays of color as you drove along the side of a mountain and the sun illuminated an entire hill of trees on the other side. It's the perfect time of the season to make a road trip there.

A group of 4-6 Gopher fans are heading to Happy Valley this October. For anyone who has done it before... any tips? Hotels? Travel? Tickets? Tailgating?

Thanks!

I plan to go and stay at one of my friends' houses there.

As for hotels, forget it. Though you might be able to get lucky and find a weekend rental online - there are, believe it or not, a lot of alumni who buy townhomes in State College just to have a place to stay on football weekends.

If you have an RV, make the trip and spend a couple nights hanging out with the other RV people before/after the game.

If you need to stay in a hotel, consider towns/cities out of the way. You likely won't find one in State College anymore. Consider Altoona, Clearfield, Williamsport.... and if you want to make a fall trip someplace, plan a vacation in Pittsburgh (2.5 hrs), Philly (yuck) (3-3.5 hrs), NYC (4-5 hrs), Washington (4 hrs), Baltimore (3.5-4 hrs), or the beach on the east coast. A stay in Niagara Falls (or Buffalo around that time of year should also be fantastic and about a 5 hour drive. There are also some nice ski resort towns near the NY/PA border such as Ellicottsville.

If you can find a place around town, there are a lot of great bars downtown along College Ave. and some on Beaver Ave., if you're looking to get drunk with the college students and young alumni. If you're looking for a more mature crowd, try Champs sports bar or The American Ale House or Otto's toward the north end of town. A very mature crowd might hang out at The Atherton Hotel, the Adam's Apple, or the Nittany Lion Inn restaurant and bar. The American Ale House is a particularly nice place that is a relative unknown because it's off the beaten path (near Toftrees resort).

If you need to stay in a hotel, consider towns/cities out of the way. You likely won't find one in State College anymore. Consider Altoona, Clearfield, Williamsport.... and if you want to make a fall trip someplace, plan a vacation in Pittsburgh (2.5 hrs), Philly (yuck) (3-3.5 hrs), NYC (4-5 hrs), Washington (4 hrs), Baltimore (3.5-4 hrs), or the beach on the east coast. A stay in Niagara Falls (or Buffalo around that time of year should also be fantastic and about a 5 hour drive. There are also some nice ski resort towns near the NY/PA border such as Ellicottsville.

Harrisburg is another larger city that is a good option (2.5 hours away) and flights into Harrisburg are sometimes very reasonable. I think we are going to stay with a friend there the night before and after to help break up the trip and cut down on traffic frustration. It is on the way to DC and Baltimore from State College.

Wife and i have stayed in Harrisburg twice now when going to PSU games .

Be sure to include a visit to near by Gettysburg you will need more one day there.

The land near the rail yards north or malcolm and east of 6th Ave.

We all have to accept that we're never going to have that kind of tailgate scene. Too urban a campus.

Also, which land are you referring too? There really isn't a lot of space when I look at Google maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...273,-93.213029&spn=0.011476,0.027809&t=h&z=16http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Williams+Arena,+Minneapolis,+Hennepin,+Minnesota+55455&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.107327,113.90625&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FaZIrgIdXnVx-g&split=0&ll=44.975273,-93.213029&spn=0.011476,0.027809&t=h&z=16

Top Bottom