Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

Not the point. It still could turn out well, but this isn't going well. Anyone who thinks we didn't really go after the Shaka, Flip, etc. isn't paying attention. We've been turned down by the guys we really wanted. Now we are left with someone.

I am not sure. No one knows Shaka better than NT. I trust he'd know how realistic of a chance he had at him.

Thing is, no one knows.

I understand the sky is falling mentality because for a lot of people the stars seemed to align for Flip. You have to take the maroon and gold glasses off to see the whole picture though.

It's been said a million times Woody has more to gain from hiring his own guy to just going with Flip "sure thing" Saunders. A "no thanks" answer is realistically the best thing that could be taken away from both parties if Teague never intended to hire Flip, which a certain GH poster from west of the rockies has been saying the whole time.

If Flip puts out a "I'm not a candidate for the U job" after all his not so subtle campaigning for it then it communicates that Teague never wanted him in the first place and pisses that whole faction off.

So you are good with the idea that Teague does it the Teague way to establish Teague street cred and genious instead looking at what is best for the situation regardless of Villa 7?

If he wanted to do a charade with Saunders he should have done it day one -not a week in. Embarrassing for all parties if true. I hope this is more mis-information or just a first round in negotiations.

All you peeps need to chill out with some other peeps:

marshmallow_peeps.jpg

@DarrenWolfson: One person close to Flip just now via text: "Heard they wanted to help hire his staff of recruiters." #gophers

Go Gophers!!

Teague has a lot to gain , but if his flavor of the month hire turns out to be another Monson , his stay in Minneapolis could be shorter than Macturi.

And his career as an AD would be over. Give the guy some credit he isn't stupid, he knows what the stakes are.

UCLA just hired Steve Alford. I can't imagine the Bruin faithful are dancing in the streets over that hire. Especially given his terrible tournament track record.

Ppl keep saying Teague has this "great track record" of hiring coaches. Other than Shaka who has Teague hired (I don't know the answer). I assumed firing tubby with a big buy out meant Teague had his guy lined up and ready to sign ASAP. At this point I feel like this is classic gopher administration making terrible moves. Obviously that can all change when they announce the new guy, but damn, no flip, no Shaka...if we hire one of the Dakota coaches I'm done with college athletics.

Crossing the fingers!!!!

I've had the opinion that egos get in the way; and in this case, that would prevent NT from offer to Flip. He's supposed to be the college coaching guru. I've had a tough time believing he would hire Flip as he would want to have his own stamp on the program.

That being said, I'm predicting we've come to an agreement with a coach. NT has let Flip know, so Flip could say that he "declined" the offer. Just my prediction. It's been known to happen before.

@DarrenWolfson: One person close to Flip just now via text: "Heard they wanted to help hire his staff of recruiters." #gophers

Go Gophers!!

Interesting, this is where most thought the trouble would lie.

Go Gophers!!

Wtf? Let the man hire his own guys. He is not a child...

Go Gophers!!

That - to me would be the only reason that Flip would turn the job down- no control. If that's what they told him- that's terrible and it increase my view that NT is looking foolish here (if this is true). If these guys actually said that to Saunders then they are completely full of themselves.

Go Gophers!!

I buy this. Teague might have killed the goose that laid the golden egg. Flip is uniquely qualified and would do a kick ass job. I don't think Norwood and half the posters here realize what we're about to lose out on.

Boy all the Scouting and Recruiting ,the Village Idiots here thought Flip was doing for his future gopher head coaching job ..sure have egg on their face !!! THESCOUT!(PHD BASKETBALLOLOGY)

So you are good with the idea that Teague does it the Teague way to establish Teague street cred and genious instead looking at what is best for the situation regardless of Villa 7?

If he wanted to do a charade with Saunders he should have done it day one -not a week in. Embarrassing for all parties if true. I hope this is more mis-information or just a first round in negotiations.

Look at the reaction from Flip saying no.

Why would you invite that kind of response for another full week instead of minimizing the talk before the new coach is hired? This is P.R. 101.

I've had the opinion that egos get in the way; and in this case, that would prevent NT from offer to Flip. He's supposed to be the college coaching guru. I've had a tough time believing he would hire Flip as he would want to have his own stamp on the program.

That being said, I'm predicting we've come to an agreement with a coach. NT has let Flip know, so Flip could say that he "declined" the offer. Just my prediction. It's been known to happen before.

+1

Rumors are that Teague and Ellis wanted the say on his assistants. If true, they need to check their ego's at the door. They have made a grand total of 1 hire that has worked out. Not exactly a coach whisperer yet.
I agree with you and there aren't many if any coaches that are gonna let someone else pick out their assistants. If the case is that Teague and Ellis have to get a say in the assistants that are hired I am really not sure anyone will be happy with the type of coach we will be able to get.

Boy all the Scouting and Recruiting ,the Village Idiots here thought Flip was doing for his future gopher head coaching job ..sure have egg on their face !!! THESCOUT!(PHD BASKETBALLOLOGY)

He was, he also thought he'd have control.

I gave credit to Teague yesterday for swallowing his pride and taking a look at Flip.

Now I'm kicking myself for giving Teague the benefit of the doubt...the man just broke my heart.

This has now turned ugly.

That doesn't sound like a complete deal breaker to me.

It's a deal breaker for anyone that has the chops to do the job. Think you would tell Buzz Williams that his staff would get picked for him? NT is a complete fool IF this is really what happened.

I can't imagine you have many friends. By the way, why did you capitalize scouting and recruiting?

New revised predictions for headcoach:
1. Mike Ellis
2. John Blair Bickerstaff

Look at the reaction from Flip saying no.

Why would you invite that kind of response for another full week instead of minimizing the talk before the new coach is hired? This is P.R. 101.

Well he's not looking real good at PR 101 right now. This could have and should ahve been worked out ahead of time. Flip is a donor and a big friend of the U. If this came down this way it's going to tick a whole lot of people off.

Top Bottom