Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

Good point WCoaster. If Buzz is out later today, major push for Buzz???

Either he had Buzz all along or he's never going to get him. If he is getting turned down by Flip today they he didn't have Buzz all along. Therefore- logic says he either didn't get turned down by Flip or he doesn't have Buzz or both.

If we got turned donw by Flip we are looking at potshot options like Enfield. (Interesting but HIGH risk)

My goodness. You guys need to chill out, just a little bit. Teague will find us someone, he's too well-connected not to.

And by chill a little bit, I mean allow me to slip you a Valium.

That's what everyone is afraid of...someone. Someone sucks. I want someone better than just someone. 0-3 (at least) so far.

Or maybe the AD wants too much control over who is going to fill out the staff....

That is one thing I wonder about as well. Given Flip's experience, NT and Ellis should respect that and back off a little on that one if true.

I would guess if Flip turned it down it was only because it was not a real offer.

My goodness. You guys need to chill out, just a little bit. Teague will find us someone, he's too well-connected not to.

And by chill a little bit, I mean allow me to slip you a Valium.

Someone. Yes he will find us someone.

The bomb already went off. Vanilla7 will not imprees these guys when they are being courted by Izzo,K, Self and the like.

He may well find someone good. He needs to find someone that has an immediate impact. We have 3 of the best juniors in the country in the backyard. You need to make a splash hire, the clock is ticking.

Tick. tick. tick.

It's been 6 days. Coaching hires can take weeks, panicking this quickly doesn't do any good. I'm not a Flip groupie, so this news doesn't bother me one bit.

That's what everyone is afraid of...someone. Someone sucks. I want someone better than just someone. 0-3 (at least) so far.

Yeah. Maybe some unknown guy no one has ever heard of. I remember when he did that at VCU and some loser named Shaka Smart got the job. What a joke.

I know we are all antsy, but I still trust Teague to make the right hire and get someone great for this school.

You're forgetting someone who is in Indy for reasons besides the tournament ...

Brad Stevens? Please, if I was holding my breath for him, I'd be dead already.

I will buy whatever you are smoking though.

If even 0-3. For all we know, we could still be 0-0.

It's been 6 days. Coaching hires can take weeks, panicking this quickly doesn't do any good. I'm not a Flip groupie, so this news doesn't bother me one bit.

In basketball they don't.

If even 0-3. For all we know, we could still be 0-0.

If we are 0-0 then what the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# is Teague waiting for? Does he really think he is going to lure someone that just went to the Elite 8 or better away from his school? To Minne-freaking-sota?

Yeah. Maybe some unknown guy no one has ever heard of. I remember when he did that at VCU and some loser named Shaka Smart got the job. What a joke.

I know we are all antsy, but I still trust Teague to make the right hire and get someone great for this school.

Expecting an outlying example to repeat itself is a recipe for disaster.

I understand the sky is falling mentality because for a lot of people the stars seemed to align for Flip. You have to take the maroon and gold glasses off to see the whole picture though.

It's been said a million times Woody has more to gain from hiring his own guy to just going with Flip "sure thing" Saunders. A "no thanks" answer is realistically the best thing that could be taken away from both parties if Teague never intended to hire Flip, which a certain GH poster from west of the rockies has been saying the whole time.

If Flip puts out a "I'm not a candidate for the U job" after all his not so subtle campaigning for it then it communicates that Teague never wanted him in the first place and pisses that whole faction off.

Last call for Tim Miles....quit shucking corn and come home.

The positive part of this whole thing is the fact that Teague and Ellis have turned to lower name guys before and had great success. This situation would really suck if Maturi were still around.

And I bet people said the same about Buzz Williams.

Not the point. It still could turn out well, but this isn't going well. Anyone who thinks we didn't really go after the Shaka, Flip, etc. isn't paying attention. We've been turned down by the guys we really wanted. Now we are left with someone.

Brad Stevens? Please, if I was holding my breath for him, I'd be dead already.

I will buy whatever you are smoking though.

My only point is we have heard zilch from the athletic department. It is all media. And who knows if the rumors are even legit or were planted?

All I know is these guys specialize in basketball coaching hires. It is their best quality. Their expertise. I trust them.

Or maybe the AD wants too much control over who is going to fill out the staff....
I worry about this a little bit too and if this is the reason than Teague/Ellis really need to back off. The only other reason I could see is if Flip already has a deal in place with the Wolves to take over as GM.

I'm calling bull**it on this.

No way Flip publicly spurns an offer.

I understand the sky is falling mentality because for a lot of people the stars seemed to align for Flip. You have to take the maroon and gold glasses off to see the whole picture though.

It's been said a million times Woody has more to gain from hiring his own guy to just going with Flip "sure thing" Saunders. A "no thanks" answer is realistically the best thing that could be taken away from both parties if Teague never intended to hire Flip, which a certain GH poster from west of the rockies has been saying the whole time.

If Flip puts out a "I'm not a candidate for the U job" after all his not so subtle campaigning for it then it communicates that Teague never wanted him in the first place and pisses that whole faction off.

Teague has a lot to gain , but if his flavor of the month hire turns out to be another Monson , his stay in Minneapolis could be shorter than Macturi.

I worry about this a little bit too and if this is the reason than Teague/Ellis really need to back off. The only other reason I could see is if Flip already has a deal in place with the Wolves to take over as GM.

I also worry that Flip would have made Dinkytown the new country club and hire all his buddies.

Rumors are that Teague and Ellis wanted the say on his assistants. If true, they need to check their ego's at the door. They have made a grand total of 1 hire that has worked out. Not exactly a coach whisperer yet.

Top Bottom