Gopher coaching change part deaux ?

phipho

Reaction score
So does this start another Gopher coaching search ? Losing to Yale ? I thought only No Dak did that

the short answer is no. do i wish it would happen? yes kind of. lucia never seems to get his team up when they need the extra boost (obviously they will always get up for nd, bc, etc.). and i really can't figure out why the hell not.

Not betting on it. Maybe if the alumni kick up a major fuss, Teague might look. But with the whole basketball thing very much up in the air and two straight McNaughton Cups to his credit, I would be very surprised if Lucia was shown the door. The window for that move was about three years ago. And even then, Maturi still didn't have the stones to fire Lucia.

It won't start another search, but I think it probably should. It is a foregone conclusion that we will peak in January and not be ready to play against teams we should beat in the NCAA. Last year was an anomaly. The lack of fire today was sickening.

One Frozen Four in eight seasons. Call me crazy, but Minnesota should have the talent base, the resources and the ability to do more than that.

One Frozen Four in eight seasons. Call me crazy, but Minnesota should have the talent base, the resources and the ability to do more than that.

Completely agree. But given current circumstances, just can't see it happening.

Absolutely GiW, We should never go 1 for 8 and included in that time is several tourney misses. We don't need a coaching search, he's standing right next to Lucia. Time to just hand it over to Guentzel.

Absolutely GiW, We should never go 1 for 8 and included in that time is several tourney misses. We don't need a coaching search, he's standing right next to Lucia. Time to just hand it over to Guentzel.

There's no question Guentzel is the next head coach, it's just a matter of when.

There's no question Guentzel is the next head coach, it's just a matter of when.

He doesn't appear to be motivating them as an assistant, so I'm not sure how that would change wih a promotion.

This is rediculous and time for evaluation in Lucia. He has the the best limes every gecsnd shows no emotion. He is riding the U for his contract. Time for new blood.

I don't think too many here would argue that the MN Gopher hockey program is supposed to be one of the premier Div. 1 programs in the nation. With that being said todays loss is really no different than a Duke or a Kansas or a North Carolina losing in the first round of the NCAA BB tourney to a 16th seed such as Oral Roberts or Ball State.

BTW, what is Lucia's salary?

I don't think too many here would argue that the MN Gopher hockey program is supposed to be one of the premier Div. 1 programs in the nation. With that being said todays loss is really no different than a Duke or a Kansas or a North Carolina losing in the first round of the NCAA BB tourney to a 16th seed such as Oral Roberts or Ball State.

ummm buddy... not even close by a long long stretch.

I don't know what to think, honestly, a part of me really likes Lucia, but if we are going to fire Tubby for only winning 1 game in the NCAA tourney in 6 years, at a sport we don't support and is about our 10th best sport at the school, winning only 2 games in the NCAA tourney in 8 years in our #1 sport has to be considered unacceptable.

But our situation could be different in that THIS year was our big year for bb, and we gave Tubby a chance, so if we don't lose too many guys to the NHL, shouldn't we maybe give Lucia one more season to deliver?!

I say this because losing several of our current players to the NHL would be a bad sign, but if most or all of them stay, well, that could be a good sign and could bode well for Lucia?!

But like I said, I just don't know what to think, really.

Base and supplemental salary are about $310,000. I don't believe that includes his Model Camp nor serving as an advisor for an equipment manufacturer.

I don't know what to think, honestly, a part of me really likes Lucia, but if we are going to fire Tubby for only winning 1 game in the NCAA tourney in 6 years, at a sport we don't support and is about our 10th best sport at the school, winning only 2 games in the NCAA tourney in 8 years in our #1 sport has to be considered unacceptable.

But our situation could be different in that THIS year was our big year for bb, and we gave Tubby a chance, so if we don't lose too many guys to the NHL, shouldn't we maybe give Lucia one more season to deliver?!

I say this because losing several of our current players to the NHL would be a bad sign, but if most or all of them stay, well, that could be a good sign and could bode well for Lucia?!

But like I said, I just don't know what to think, really.

In the last 7 seasons we've won 3 games. We beat Air Force in 2007 and won two games last year.

Lucia like it or not has gone all Woog on us. I realize the cancer took some wind out of his sails, but he is over that now but....sometimes a life changing thing like that changes your perspective in ways that might not be conducive to going all-out all the time to win college hockey games. Fire-in-the-gut to win at all costs may have been reevaluated with a life changing episode. However good that may be for him it sucks for us.

It is a simple expectation for the premier program in the most talent laden state in the nation: Elite 8 every other year; Frozen Four every third year; National Championship every five years. Nothing less is acceptable, these are the minimums. It is not like there are 200+ Division 1 programs out there, it is a relatively small pond.

Lucia like it or not has gone all Woog on us. I realize the cancer took some wind out of his sails, but he is over that now but....sometimes a life changing thing like that changes your perspective in ways that might not be conducive to going all-out all the time to win college hockey games. Fire-in-the-gut to win at all costs may have been reevaluated with a life changing episode. However good that may be for him it sucks for us.

It is a simple expectation for the premier program in the most talent laden state in the nation: Elite 8 every other year; Frozen Four every third year; National Championship every five years. Nothing less is acceptable, these are the minimums. It is not like there are 200+ Division 1 programs out there, it is a relatively small pond.

Don Lucia had cancer? That would be news to him.

ummm buddy... not even close by a long long stretch.

.......really so what is your logic on this? You must be a Sioux fan??

Now looking at this years NCAA you would guess the east coast is the powerhouse. Very poor showing by the WCHA this year.

Now looking at this years NCAA you would guess the east coast is the powerhouse. Very poor showing by the WCHA this year.

Has a B1G bowl season feel to it. Hoping SCSt can advance.

yeah i'm a sioux fan posting 300+ times on a gopher related board... not. i love gopher hockey and hockey in general. but to say yale is like a 16 over a 1 is a long stretch. yale is a good hockey program. they've made the NCAA tourney 4 out of the last 5 years. they were seeded at a 1 seed in the tourney 3 years ago. that's where i'm saying they're nowhere near a 16 seed in terms of status.
should we have lost to them? No way. we were the better team this year but it happens in hockey.
am i mad lucia looks like he didn't have the boys ready? yes. do i think he should be let go? yes i'm kind of in that boat right now, but if the team sticks around to give it one more go (or at least most of them) i'll give him one more year to get it done with what would be the most talented and deep team we've had since we won it all.

also agree on the poor showing by the wcha. hopefully the huskies can keep it rolling. they looked good yesterday in throttling ND

yeah i'm a sioux fan posting 300+ times on a gopher related board... not. i love gopher hockey and hockey in general. but to say yale is like a 16 over a 1 is a long stretch. yale is a good hockey program. they've made the NCAA tourney 4 out of the last 5 years. they were seeded at a 1 seed in the tourney 3 years ago. that's where i'm saying they're nowhere near a 16 seed in terms of status.
should we have lost to them? No way. we were the better team this year but it happens in hockey.
am i mad lucia looks like he didn't have the boys ready? yes. do i think he should be let go? yes i'm kind of in that boat right now, but if the team sticks around to give it one more go (or at least most of them) i'll give him one more year to get it done with what would be the most talented and deep team we've had since we won it all.

also agree on the poor showing by the wcha. hopefully the huskies can keep it rolling. they looked good yesterday in throttling ND

Yeh, obviously Yale is a decent team. I guess I was just upset that for some reason no matter how good the Gopher talent is they can't seem to get up for the big tourney. As mentioned........like they wrap themselves in bubble wrap hoping not to get hurt. Quinni is looking pretty good too. One thing I did notice though is Quinni is loaded with Canadians........like 13 of them. Well at least St. Cloud did their part for the WCHA and made it in. I was hoping for Mankato but oh well.

Yeh, obviously Yale is a decent team. I guess I was just upset that for some reason no matter how good the Gopher talent is they can't seem to get up for the big tourney. As mentioned........like they wrap themselves in bubble wrap hoping not to get hurt. Quinni is looking pretty good too. One thing I did notice though is Quinni is loaded with Canadians........like 13 of them. Well at least St. Cloud did their part for the WCHA and made it in. I was hoping for Mankato but oh well.

yeah i was really upset with this loss too. i thought after we made the comeback we were gonna get it done so it hurt even more. all that being said, the team/coaches need to make sure they don't overlook teams. here's to hoping St cloud gets it done for the wcha and the team stays (mostly) intact and we can be absolutely stacked next year. then its national title or bust for lucia

yeah i was really upset with this loss too. i thought after we made the comeback we were gonna get it done so it hurt even more. all that being said, the team/coaches need to make sure they don't overlook teams. here's to hoping St cloud gets it done for the wcha and the team stays (mostly) intact and we can be absolutely stacked next year. then its national title or bust for lucia

The problem with Lucia is that overlooking teams was not something that this group of players did. It has been a consistent problem that has plagued the Don's team, which I what makes me think it is a coaching issue. I still am not ready to fire him. If we wanted to can the Don, should have done it after back-to-back-to-back missed tournaments, not after back-to-back MacNaughton Cups and one year removed from a Frozen Four appearance.

The problem with Lucia is that overlooking teams was not something that this group of players did. It has been a consistent problem that has plagued the Don's team, which I what makes me think it is a coaching issue. I still am not ready to fire him. If we wanted to can the Don, should have done it after back-to-back-to-back missed tournaments, not after back-to-back MacNaughton Cups and one year removed from a Frozen Four appearance.

Well, that's kind of why I think he should have one more year at least. Really interested in who stays and who leaves for the NHL.

"Really interested in who stays and who leaves for the NHL."

Budish, Bjugstad and Schmidt are gone as of today.

A super window of opportunity closed with that scoring and leadership leaving the U. If Lucia coaches next year's team to a trophy of any kind, it will be some seriously good coaching.

Jerry York seems to do very well with talented teams. Boston College has earned significant hardware over the past few years with a gigantic bullseye on their back. Lucia's teams don't do well with that bullseye.

Go Gophers!

This is getting pretty rough now. Hope Haula doesn't get an offer from the Wild since they'll have him in their own back yard to watch develop and don't really have a need for him with adding Pominville now. fingers are definitely crossed because we NEED him back now.

The Don has a loaded recruiting class coming in. Even with all the departures, all, but six guys return, still have Rau, Wilcox Boyd, Ambroz and Condon are ready to take the next step along with Warning. Still have five d-men returning from last year's squad. Schmidt hurts, but Alt had a crappy year and Helguson's replaceable. Gophers may be a year away from being a national title contender, but they should still make the tourney and win a game.

Top Bottom