News on Shaka Smart

Just got off of the phone with my lead (Big FB Donor and pretty plugged in). I trust what he says. Shaka verbally told Ellis after VCU was bounced from the tourney that he would accept the position (this is inline with Gopherladys source, FYI). They worked out the details of the contract (which he's not clear on the details) however, certain particulars like facilities were mentioned not sure which (assume practice). So, they have agreed on the terms of the deal. Shaka and Teague both thought it was best practice to allow him to do the right thing by allowing them to match. Which the donor confirms is impossible and that the announcement should happen tomorrow.

Not sure if I can pull myself to believe that to be true haha. But you definitely put a lot of detail into it, that's for sure.

At the end of the day it comes down to whether he wants to work here or not. If he doesn't - or if he's coming only for the salary - it'll be better for both parties if we look at someone else.

The upside here is that it is unlikely, at his age, he would take a job only for cash, especially when he can have any job he wants as they open up.

Thamel is pretty highly respected...I doubt he would tweet that based on loose tweets from various VCU homers. I'll be satisfied if we hire Flip....

RichmondInsider - How do you explain the pictures that confirmed Shaka Smart was at the Mall of America? I saw it with my own eyes. If you can't explain the pictures of him around town, I'm sorry, I just can't believe you.

Atsa spicy meatball

Just got off of the phone with my lead (Big FB Donor and pretty plugged in). I trust what he says. Shaka verbally told Ellis after VCU was bounced from the tourney that he would accept the position (this is inline with Gopherladys source, FYI). They worked out the details of the contract (which he's not clear on the details) however, certain particulars like facilities were mentioned not sure which (assume practice). So, they have agreed on the terms of the deal. Shaka and Teague both thought it was best practice to allow him to do the right thing by allowing them to match. Which the donor confirms is impossible and that the announcement should happen tomorrow.

This is the kind of thing we've been waiting for. Not sure if this has any legitimacy whatsoever but my is it spicy.

Hope all is well in Minnesota, I come to you from Richmond VA where I have connections deep inside Shaka Smarts adminstration at VCU. I can confirm to you that he is indeed talking to both UCLA and Minnesota. Minn is his first choice as he wouldn't feel the amount of pressure as he would at UCLA. However, at this point I'd say its 60/40 he will remain the coach of the Rams. He is very comfortable with Norwood Teague which is what could seal the deal for that 40 percent chance. Right now money etc hasn't been discussed and Shaka is meeting with family members to get their take on this. We went thru this last season when both Illinois and VA Tech offered him big money to become they're coach and he decided it wasn't the right place for him.

One thing of note, I can tell you he did contact Tubby Smith today to discuss with him the overall feel of being the Minnesota hoops coach.

Thanks

VCU fans aren't worried at all about Shaka. Can't wait till he leaves to see what they say.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vcu-gets-smart-retains-coach-194012344--ncaab.html

Crap, I hope they are jumping the gun and just piggy backing off of the SI guy

He's expected to agree to an extension that will likely significantly increase his base annual salary of $1.25 million, Sports Illustrated reported.

??? SI has literally only reported that he was working on restructuring his contract, and that they should have an agreement soon.

Here's another local source basically parroting what has already been said: http://www.nbc12.com/story/21799433/sources-vcu-aggressively-working-to-keep-shaka-smart

I had a good vibe about this before...I don't anymore. Don't know why. I guess if Teague was as tight as I thought they were, this would have been done already and maybe even announced. Maybe protocol dictates you don't dance on Tubbys proverbial grave this soon, but we need to get someone here soon...real soon so we can start the build process of the new program.

Thamel is pretty highly respected...I doubt he would tweet that based on loose tweets from various VCU homers. I'll be satisfied if we hire Flip....

He quoted someone saying "Shaka wants to stay" at VCU. That person may believe it to be true. He didn't quote Shaka. Doesn't mean much to me.

on the other hand, the article is nowhere to be found on the Yahoo NCAAB home page. i got it from the VCU board, so maybe it got pulled already

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vcu-gets-smart-retains-coach-194012344--ncaab.html

Crap, I hope they are jumping the gun and just piggy backing off of the SI guy

Who the hell is the Sportsxchange? That is who Yahoo picked up the article from...and to say he "never seriously considered leaving" is in the face of a number of sources and a freaking picture of him at MOA....what, after the long season he decided to vacation in MN? During a snow storm? Not buying it. He may very well stay at VCU but this story stinks of BS.

Maybe Minnesota boosters will get out their checkbooks for a practice facility in fear that we're about to lose our chance at Shaka.

Just who are these boosters? Do they really exist? I thought all the "Big Cigars" died or are close to dead (Sid's close personal friends - the movers and shakers from the late 60-70's that got things done as far as sports teams went in the Twin Cities area)

Top Bottom