Notes from Teague's press conference regarding Tubby Smith firing

GopherLady

Reaction score
This is what I got:

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/241709?referrer_id=331171

• Tubby Smith is an outstaning human being, but it's time for a change.
• The athletic department will lead the search, they will not hire a search firm. I feel that myself and our senior staff with our network will be able to find a terrific coach.
• We expect the new coach to manage and build a program.
• We're looking for the right fit for this program. We'll be talking to a variety of candidates, both locally and nationally. I don't want to reveal their names to keep the integrity of the search going.
• I talk to coaches a lot, but not really about this.
• You always have a short list, people that you have in mind. Some are realistic, some are unrealistic. We'll work on that and get a terrific coach.
• It's an evaluation of the overall body of work. In the end, I consulted with Dr. Kaler and felt like it was time to move on.
• It's really a future decision. I didn't evaluate the NCAA tournament only, or this year only. It's evaluating where we are and where we're going.
• I make the decision based on a whole body of work. I felt like this was by far the best decision we can make right now. We have a great state to sell, and unbelievably passionate fanbase, and University.
• Anytime you spend money for buyouts, it bothers me, but I hope our fans look at this as an investment.
• Was Tubby surprised? Teague: Yes. He was gracious, I could see the disappointment in his eyes.
• By this afternoon, Tubby had not been told he was fired yet. (aka - got to media 1st). #Gophers
• I talked to the players about 30 minutes ago.
• It's harder when you have a great guy like Tubby.
• I don't take the buyout lightly, you have to get down to where you can make a decision. You put things down on paper and figure out where you want to go with things. I hope we'll see this as an investment, rather than a needless expenditure. This program has the potential to be good, if not great.
• It's hard to determine - we've had some decent fundraising going on. We're putting a facility plan together where we'll need fundraising.
• The buyout is 2.5 million this year. There is some payouts that were part of his contract anyway, but that's separate from the buyout.
• We're going to look for the right fit for the program, not the candidate everyone thinks we should get, but the right fit.
• I don't take that flippantly, a buyout number, it's tough, but we look at that as an investment for the future.
• We didn't evaluate this on just the NCAA tournament, or solely this year. It's my job to make decisions about the vision of the program.
• Would things have changed if he made the Sweet 16? Teague: I don't want to speculate on that.
• Not limited with not using a search firm.
• Everything leaks, all the time, we know that. We didn't intentionally do that.
• I feel like we can go out, get a terrific candidate and move forward.
• He didn't talk to players on this year's team. I've been through a lot of transitions like this.
• It's our intention to build a practice facility, we're going to
• The whole staff has been relieved. Myself and the senior staff will be heavily involved moving forward.
• Passionate following, historic arena, we have a lot of great things to sell.
• It will all be negotiable - the salary for the new coach.
• No black B10 FB or Bball coaches - does this enter your mind? Teague - it always does. We hired Quincy Lewis, and want to continue to hire.
• Won't comment on Pam Borton right now.

Should have added if The new coach turns out to be stiff I will resign as AD. Then again weasels do not accept accountability and are fine with buyouts that do not come out of their own pocket

my favorite parts, Sid asking Woody "it's tough to find a good coach, Kill was the 5th choice, I don't know what number you were"

Sid talking about Tyus Jones recruitment: "Tom Eyezo and Kayshefshski"

Thanks, Nadine. The one baloney line I see is about getting to the media. Someone in the department leaked this and Tubby found out from the press and that is inexcusable. Norwood ought to feret out the culprit and take some disiplinary action.

Any sense that he knows who it is already?

Thanks, Nadine. The one baloney line I see is about getting to the media. Someone in the department leaked this and Tubby found out from the press and that is inexcusable. Norwood ought to feret out the culprit and take some disiplinary action.

Any sense that he knows who it is already?

One Board member said that she was contacted at 8AM this morning. If that is where the leak came from, there isn't much that Teague could have done given that they had to give the Board a heads-up before pulling the trigger

If you did not evaluate it on this year why did you give Tubby an extension after last season...lets see the weasel answer that!!!

Thank you for the summary, Nadine. I wish Tubby had retired, but that's a lot of money give up to save reputation.

my favorite parts, Sid asking Woody "it's tough to find a good coach, Kill was the 5th choice, I don't know what number you were"

Sid talking about Tyus Jones recruitment: "Tom Eyezo and Kayshefshski"

Definitely my highlights as well!

Nadine, when does your source say the new coach will be announced?

One Board member said that she was contacted at 8AM this morning. If that is where the leak came from, there isn't much that Teague could have done given that they had to give the Board a heads-up before pulling the trigger

Problem is that if it was getting to a board member at 8 a.m. it should have been to Tubby at 8:15. Something was messed up in this process.

I was able to catch the last part of Teague's press conference on BTN and was impressed by the guy. Does Sid run the Star Tribune? At some point, you would think that they would be a bit embarrassed that he represents there paper in such a high profile manner. It's sad that our AD (and previously some of our coaches) have to tell the media that Minnesota is a good place with a lot of positives.

The one thing that stands out to me about the Tubby Smith tenure is that he never got to coach/recruit with a practice facility. My suspicion is the results would not have been much different, but he certainly deserved to have that opportunity a few years ago.

Love that they are not going to hire a search firm. Would love to know who brought up Pam Borton at the end, did they really expect to get an answer?

Problem is that if it was getting to a board member at 8 a.m. it should have been to Tubby at 8:15. Something was messed up in this process.

Agree, unless they needed to await feedback from the Board members. Still too large of a time gap between the two

Teague hinted at the finalists for the job within the press conference.

We will negotiate a contract that will be Smart

I don't take that Flippantly, a buyout number, it's tough, but we look at that as an investment for the future.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

That's it!!! It's an unknown named Flip Smart.

Is it just me, or did Teague tell us all a boldfaced lie when he said he hasn't contacted anyone yet. One does not possibly make this move without having a hire essentially already set up.

Is it just me, or did Teague tell us all a boldfaced lie when he said he hasn't contacted anyone yet. One does not possibly make this move without having a hire essentially already set up.

Maybe HE hasn't. Maybe his lawyers or Mike Ellis have.

Teague give Tubby an extension based on the body of his work last fall...now the lying weasel says Tubby's body of work was not good enough and this year really did not matter. Well Teague has someone lined up or he is a stupid weasel

Teague give Tubby an extension based on the body of his work last fall...now the lying weasel says Tubby's body of work was not good enough and this year really did not matter. Well Teague has someone lined up or he is a stupid weasel

I am late to the party on this one. Why do you call him the weasel? What has he done that makes you look at him in such a low light?

well he threw Tubby under the Bus after a solid season, give tubby an extension last fall and now complains about his body of work not being acceptable, and for some reason the VCU message boards refer to him as a weasel also. Left coast gopher is a joker who has yet to make an intelligent post here which is in fact the definition of a troll

well he threw Tubby under the Bus after a solid season, give tubby an extension last fall and now complains about his body of work not being acceptable, and for some reason the VCU message boards refer to him as a weasel also. Left coast gopher is a joker who has yet to make an intelligent post here which is in fact the definition of a troll

*Yawn*

Ignore.

You really need to chill out, Donna.

Top Bottom