Tubby is out...who will be the next coach?

I disagree. I think Tubby runs a much more formal type of offense. I do agree that they run the offense with absolutely no zip and that's a bigger problem than the offense itself. However, I often thought the lane was bogged down in the Gopher days (whether it was Ralph and Colt45 or with Trevor), Shaka opens it up. There aren't going to be two big men in the lane with only two guys on the floor with capable jump shots. That just doesn't happen in Shaka's offense.

I'm not saying that I prefer one to the other, but if Shaka is the new coach, expect the team to be much more spread out without two bigs in the middle of the lane.

Fair enough. That is a good point.

If Shaka comes, Mo and EE are gonna have heart attacks in the first practice....In fact, both will probably have to transfer out...They wouldn't sniff the floor in Shaka's system.

Did anyone watch the VCU Micigan game? Shaka's pressure defense was a disaster against a team with a ball handler. And he wouldn't make any adjustments. That game alone was worse than anything I saw from Tubby in 6 years...

This is a valid point but I think Michigan is an atrocious matchup for VCU. When they got down they couldn't adjust, what could they do when they were down 20, slow it down? They had to keep pressuring and Michigan continued to handle the pressure. I don't blame him for not adjusting, I don't think he had a viable option.

However, that game did illustrate the danger in such a pressure based fast system. If a team can handle the pressure and they are considerably more athletic than you are, you're done.

So who's going to track the private jet on the internet this time around?

This is a valid point but I think Michigan is an atrocious matchup for VCU. When they got down they couldn't adjust, what could they do when they were down 20, slow it down? They had to keep pressuring and Michigan continued to handle the pressure. I don't blame him for not adjusting, I don't think he had a viable option.

However, that game did illustrate the danger in such a pressure based fast system. If a team can handle the pressure and they are considerably more athletic than you are, you're done.

+1

And the fact that Michigan had two players on the floor that are better than anyone in the A-10.

If Shaka comes, Mo and EE are gonna have heart attacks in the first practice....In fact, both will probably have to transfer out...They wouldn't sniff the floor in Shaka's system.

Mo would be in a lot of trouble and wouldn't see the floor. I think EE would be a decent guy in the middle. He is comfortable setting screens, he runs the floor OK for a big and I don't think he'd look uncomfortable as the one big in a small lineup.

It is indeed a sad day for those who accept mediocrity

yes, because a new coach automatically means national titles...lol why dont you wait and see who the coach is and how the program looks after 6 yrs before you start pounding your chest, minnesota has a track record of making really bad hires

ESPN 1500 giving credit to GopherHole for breaking the story.

Souhan giving Teague kudos for having the guts to do it. 'Something we haven't seen from the U previously'. Blasting Maturi for all his screw-ups. Says he cost the U millions and should be in jail.

yes, because a new coach automatically means national titles...lol why dont you wait and see who the coach is and how the program looks after 6 yrs before you start pounding your chest, minnesota has a track record of making really bad hires

In basketball? Not really. Monson and Tubby didn't work out. But neither was a bad hire at the time.

+ 1000. Would be worse than Maturi's rumored hiring of Paul Chryst.

Ha. That would be too much.

Oddly enough, Chryst is looking like he would have been a good hire here too (not ripping on Kill, just pointing out that Chryst has done decent at Pitt).

Mo would be in a lot of trouble and wouldn't see the floor. I think EE would be a decent guy in the middle. He is comfortable setting screens, he runs the floor OK for a big and I don't think he'd look uncomfortable as the one big in a small lineup.

EE would have to drop 20 lbs and get into the best shape of his life....I don't think he's athletic enough to play in Shaka's system. Austin, Joe, Andre and Wally will thrive!

Teague didn't make any of the bad hires. Also, the risk of a hire being a mistake is not a reason to stay with a situation where you have pretty much seen the ceiling in terms of potential.

I'm hoping it's not Anthony Grant....But I have to admit it may be more likely than Shaka....:-(

Anthony Grant would not be a surprise IMO considering the connections with Teague and Ellis.

Wiki on Shaka.

Smart's teams play an upbeat style of basketball known as "havoc." Smart described his "havoc" defensive philosophy during his introductory press conference as, "We are going to wreak havoc on our opponent's psyche and their plan of attack." On the court, the "havoc" defensive mindset is visible through the heavy use of the full court press and pressing after made baskets to disrupt opponents' timing of offensive sets. In each of Smart's three seasons, the Rams have consistently maintained one of the most efficient and disruptive defenses in the nation, ranking 31st in Steals Per Game and 17th in Turnover Margin his first season and 1st nationally in both categories his second and third seasons as head coach. Offensively, Smart-coached teams play uptempo and push the ball after misses and makes with what Smart describes as "The freedom to make plays in the open court."[

I bet tubby goes elsewhere and looks good..making MN look stupid with this decision.

EE would have to drop 20 lbs and get into the best shape of his life....I don't think he's athletic enough to play in Shaka's system. Austin, Joe, Andre and Wally will thrive!

In the right system, I could see Wally making the types of plays that those freaks from FGCU are making. Last night watching the late highlights I saw one of their freakish plays and shrieked loudly, waking up at least one of my family.

I bet tubby goes elsewhere and looks good..making MN look stupid with this decision.

Good for Tubby; I hope that he finds the fire that he was missing here and is successful in his next job

I am quite certain that Tubby will indeed go somewhere else and look good. He has been coaching a long time and has had success. It just isn't a good fit here anymore.

The power was in Tubby's hands and he blew it, lack of fire and effort did him in. He wasn't who we thought he was.

I am quite certain that Tubby will indeed go somewhere else and look good. He has been coaching a long time and has had success. It just isn't a good fit here anymore.

Tubby's coaching is done unless he goes to a small conference. He should enjoy his retirement.

Top Bottom