Tubby is out...who will be the next coach?

We have to get some guys posted at an airport in Virginia to see if Shaka boards a plane and case Flips house and tail him.

Some names not mentioned: Mark Fox, Tony Bennett, Tad Boyle...

The difference is in Shaka's offense they played with confidence and looked like they knew what they were doing.

I have said all along Shaka and Tubby are X's and O's very similar. Shaka may be a better recruiter, motivator, is younger, etc.

I really disagree with this assessment. Tubby and Shaka are pretty different in terms of style of play.

Shaka's team shot about 200 more 3PA's than us last year and they had about a 150 more steals. Shaka's teams play fast and much more wide open than Tubby's teams. Maybe on the rare occasion that they are in the halfcourt they might run similar sets (doubtful as I would expect Shaka's lineups to be smaller than Tubby's), but they have pretty different styles.

Did anyone watch the VCU Micigan game? Shaka's pressure defense was a disaster against a team with a ball handler. And he wouldn't make any adjustments. That game alone was worse than anything I saw from Tubby in 6 years...

Dan Monson, round 2?

How about Shaka with Flip as an assistant.

Mike Grant?

I really disagree with this assessment. Tubby and Shaka are pretty different in terms of style of play.

Shaka's team shot about 200 more 3PA's than us last year and they had about a 150 more steals. Shaka's teams play fast and much more wide open than Tubby's teams. Maybe on the rare occasion that they are in the halfcourt they might run similar sets (doubtful as I would expect Shaka's lineups to be smaller than Tubby's), but they have pretty different styles.

That is Tubby's system ... We just don't run it like Shaka for whatever reason. When you watch the two teams play, VCU goes through the same motions as MInnesota. However, they do it confidently, they do it quickly, they do it with aggression and authority. They shoot the first open shot they see. The Gophers stand and pass up open shots. They attack off the dribble.

My point is, what it says on the clipboard is likely similar. How the coaches have explained it and gotten them to run it seems to be worlds apart.

I sure hope Teague has already had someone accept. I'm for the firing, but if we fire Tubby without knowing who we're getting, the potential is there for disaster.

I agree, a Brewster type disaster.

If we don't get a current HC, I would take Eric Mussleman in a heartbeat ( ass't coach at Arizona State)

Dame ‏@VIPJohnson34 Dang coach smith fired I hope they hire Flip or Shaka Smart

I would think Flip would be open to verbally accepting immediately since he has nothing tying him down at the moment...that said, we should know soon enough...

If the report is true, coaches at the top of the search list would include Shaka Smart and Anthony Grant — both of whom worked for Teague at VCU. Smart is still the coach at VCU, while Grant is the head coach now at Alabama. Brad Stevens, who took Butler to back-to-back NCAA title games, also has a good relationship with Teague. Former Wolves coach Flip Saunders, a U of M alum, would also be a candidate. Minnesota could also look at a top assistant at another school.

While at VCU, Teague and administrator Mike Ellis — who followed Teague to Minnesota — formed Villa 7, a two-day conference designed to put college basketball assistants in contact with athletic directors to help advance their careers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/199883041.html

Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart I always like how after a coach is fired, pundits say: "Good luck finding someone better." So, mediocrity is better than trying to improve?

There's that word again.

That is Tubby's system ... We just don't run it like Shaka for whatever reason. When you watch the two teams play, VCU goes through the same motions as MInnesota. However, they do it confidently, they do it quickly, they do it with aggression and authority. They shoot the first open shot they see. The Gophers stand and pass up open shots. They attack off the dribble.

My point is, what it says on the clipboard is likely similar. How the coaches have explained it and gotten them to run it seems to be worlds apart.

I disagree. I think Tubby runs a much more formal type of offense. I do agree that they run the offense with absolutely no zip and that's a bigger problem than the offense itself. However, I often thought the lane was bogged down in the Gopher days (whether it was Ralph and Colt45 or with Trevor), Shaka opens it up. There aren't going to be two big men in the lane with only two guys on the floor with capable jump shots. That just doesn't happen in Shaka's offense.

I'm not saying that I prefer one to the other, but if Shaka is the new coach, expect the team to be much more spread out without two bigs in the middle of the lane.

Tony Bennett?
That would be interesting...

Not likely. Not like we're going to outbid UVa. But licking K's and Roy's shoes gets old after awhile. And he might just be getting jump on moving to the superior conference. :cool:

I'm hoping it's not Anthony Grant....But I have to admit it may be more likely than Shaka....:-(

Top Bottom