Why not...Fred Hoiberg?

WhoFellDownTheGopherHole?

Reaction score
With all of the speculation about Shaka, previously, and Flip, as of late, are we possibly overlooking another candidate with ties to the U? Hard to argue with the job Fred has done thus far at Iowa State and he's seems to possess a lot of qualities that we're looking for in a coach. He's been able to connect with and direct recruits with questionable histories, has youth working in his favor, and can draw up plays that actually work, among other things. It's also quite possible that he's happy with the extension and long term contract he got last year and has no interest in coming here, but you'd have to think he might as likely jump at the chance.

Hoiberg is an Iowa State grad and an Ames High School Grad. Why would he take a side step or downgrade in jobs to coach a school he has no ties to?

I mean to say MN ties, btw, not the U.

I disagree that MN is a side step or downgrade from Iowa State; the only thing Iowa State has going for it? Fred Hoiberg.

I disagree that MN is a side step or downgrade from Iowa State; the only thing Iowa State has going for it? Fred Hoiberg.

and better facilities and more recent success prior to Hoiberg.

Hoiberg is rumored to be a potential high candidate for many NBA jobs. He isn't going to coach the Gophers.

His MN ties are nothing compared to his ties to Ames and ISU.

MN is not an upgrade in any reasonable unbiased measure.

Hoiberg is an Iowa State grad and an Ames High School Grad. Why would he take a side step or downgrade in jobs to coach a school he has no ties to?

The same was said of Rich Rodriguez, a WVU man thru-and-thru, but he bailed on them for Michigan. Obviously, we're not the equivalent of Michigan football in basketball (not even close), so I don't think that The Mayor has any interest in simply an exposure upgrade (Big 12 to Big 10).

But my point is, ties to your alma mater and hometown are never as deep as you think, especially when someone drives a dump truck full of money up to your house.

And again, I agree we have no chance with Hoiberg.

The same was said of Rich Rodriguez, a WVU man thru-and-thru, but he bailed on them for Michigan. Obviously, we're not the equivalent of Michigan football in basketball (not even close), so I don't think that The Mayor has any interest in simply an exposure upgrade (Big 12 to Big 10).

But my point is, ties to your alma mater and hometown are never as deep as you think, especially when someone drives a dump truck full of money up to your house.

And again, I agree we have no chance with Hoiberg.

That's really a terrible analogy as you already admitted though. Yes, if UK, KU, or IU are knocking down Hoiberg's door, he may listen.

The point was it's a side step at best from his hometown.

and better facilities and more recent success prior to Hoiberg.

Hoiberg is rumored to be a potential high candidate for many NBA jobs. He isn't going to coach the Gophers.

Agree that Hoiberg is far more likely to leave Iowa State for a pro job long before he would move to the U of M. Not to mention from a basketball sense going from the Big 12 to the Big 10 isn't really a huge leap in competition.

Guaranteed Hoiberg is waiting to see if Adelman retires or not.

If Rick decides to go on account of his wife's health you have to think Freddy would be one of the top picks for the Wolves.

Is it just my perspective, or does Gopher Bball trump Wolves Bball in this market?

Is it just my perspective, or does Gopher Bball trump Wolves Bball in this market?

Depends on who is hot. Biggest front runners in the U.S. are in the Twin Cities. Since we have had so few experiences of either of them being hot, I would say there is a larger and more loyal fan base for the Gophers, but more corporate support for the Wolves.

I'd take Hoiberg for the Timberwolves, in a heartbeat. Let's get him out of Iowa, in any event.

*But i would still prefer him to coach the Gophers.

I am not stating Minnesota is not worthy enough to steal Hoiberg. But....

Teams that think they are going to steal Hoiberg or Paul Rhoads from ISU are really grasping at straws. YOu can never say never, as no one saw Cael Sanderson leaving for PSU Wrestling but Hoiberg and Rhoads are both Cyclone through and through. YOu can definitely try but I doubt you get anywhere here. They dont call the guy the Mayor for nothing. Hoiberg is a demi god in Ames.

Pollard has actually done a good job of hiring a few legitimate coaches that are in it for the long haul.

It might as far as coverage but the Wolves job is a better job than the Gophers job to most coaches.

I would LOVE Hoiberg, but it's not happening for the reasons outlined by herkyhawkeye. I could see Fred leaving ISU, but only for the NBA (not any other college job) and only for a contract that provides immense security (he's not going to Charlotte or Phoenix on a 3 year deal for example).

However, the people saying Iowa State is a better job, or even a similar job to Minnesota are flat out wrong.

1. Iowa State never, and I mean NEVER gets the best players from within Iowa- If a player in Iowa is worthy of playing high major ball, he usually goes out of state (Collison, Hinrich, more recently Paige and Barnes) and if he does stay home he attends Iowa (Dean Oliver, Greg Brunner, Adam Woodbury). I am sure I am missing a player or two, but the last in state star to choose the Cyclones over national programs was Fred Hoiberg himself.

2. The local talent base is better in Minnesota- Even if ISU could change the trend of where kids from Iowa play their college ball, the state still doesn't produce the type of talent Minnesota does.

3. Exposure- If you have DirecTv in Iowa, you don't even see the Cyclones play unless they have a game on ESPN 1/2/U

4. Compensation- ISU has never demonstrated the ability to pay a coach what Minnesota has been able to pay

Iowa State has had some success, but also a lot of lean years (from '02-'11 they finished over .500 in league play once and 6 games (or worse) below .500 6 times). That's in the Big 12, not the Big Ten. When ISU has success, it's usually due to JUCO's and transfers which is exactly what Fred Hoiberg has done since taking over the program. You could certainly look at it as an advantage that you are allowed to do this at ISU, but you could also look at that as a disadvantage. Greg McDermott left ISU for Creighton, Dan Monson stayed at Minnesota when offered the Washington job.

The facilities at ISU are better and it's easier to win at a certain level in the Big 12 (especially with Missouri gone), but all the factors are clearly in Minnesota's favor.

My biggest issue with Hoiberg is how he has built his teams.

I'm not faulting him for giving kids' second chances, but I don't trust it as a way to build a program. I also think it would be eaten alive by our local media.

Tubby would never leave Kentucky for Minnesota.

I don't know about that. But certainly several programs trump Gopher basketball including Gopher hockey and high school hockey. Not to mention the Vikings, Twins, and Wild. We have plenty of choices for fans and sportswriters in our market!

I would LOVE Hoiberg, but it's not happening for the reasons outlined by herkyhawkeye. I could see Fred leaving ISU, but only for the NBA (not any other college job) and only for a contract that provides immense security (he's not going to Charlotte or Phoenix on a 3 year deal for example).

However, the people saying Iowa State is a better job, or even a similar job to Minnesota are flat out wrong.

1. Iowa State never, and I mean NEVER gets the best players from within Iowa- If a player in Iowa is worthy of playing high major ball, he usually goes out of state (Collison, Hinrich, more recently Paige and Barnes) and if he does stay home he attends Iowa (Dean Oliver, Greg Brunner, Adam Woodbury). I am sure I am missing a player or two, but the last in state star to choose the Cyclones over national programs was Fred Hoiberg himself.

2. The local talent base is better in Minnesota- Even if ISU could change the trend of where kids from Iowa play their college ball, the state still doesn't produce the type of talent Minnesota does.

3. Exposure- If you have DirecTv in Iowa, you don't even see the Cyclones play unless they have a game on ESPN 1/2/U

4. Compensation- ISU has never demonstrated the ability to pay a coach what Minnesota has been able to pay

Iowa State has had some success, but also a lot of lean years (from '02-'11 they finished over .500 in league play once and 6 games (or worse) below .500 6 times). That's in the Big 12, not the Big Ten. When ISU has success, it's usually due to JUCO's and transfers which is exactly what Fred Hoiberg has done since taking over the program. You could certainly look at it as an advantage that you are allowed to do this at ISU, but you could also look at that as a disadvantage. Greg McDermott left ISU for Creighton, Dan Monson stayed at Minnesota when offered the Washington job.

The facilities at ISU are better and it's easier to win at a certain level in the Big 12 (especially with Missouri gone), but all the factors are clearly in Minnesota's favor.

I realize the Big Ten is tough as nails this year, but the Big Ten has not been dominant to the Big 12 the last decade. According to RealTimeRPI.com, the Big Ten and Big 12 have averaged almost identical conference power rankings for the past decade. Success in either league is roughly the same difficulty over the long haul. ISU has had as much success as Minnesota the past decade, which isn't much. We have won three NCAA first rounds even with our struggles and through our lean times still had top 30 national attendance.

ISU can pay as much money for a coach if we want to. But I guess we are choosing to let our coach earn it before breaking the bank.

While it is true the top in state kids have not been choosing Iowa State, a lot of the top in state kids in Minnesota are not picking Minnesota either. Regardless of which school you are at, you have to be able to recruit.

I would love Hoiberg but also not sure I would feel right about taking him away from his hometown Cyclones. He belongs there and shouldn't coach any other college team unless they decide to fire him someday. Very doubtful.

There are definitely some things in here I would disagree with. I would say ISU and Minnesota are very comparable programs.
State of Iowa produces a decent amount of talent. I would say very comparable to Minnesota and maybe even better.
McDermott left because he was going to get shone the door and found a landing spot before they could do so
I wouldn't poo poo ISU in terms of history either- They have the same amount of FF,E8's,S16's as your gophers and 3 more appearances. If I really wanted to be an *** I could discount Minnesota the 4 tourney appearances you forfeited.
-Hoiberg is getting paid 1.6 mil a year 8 year deal. ISU can pay if they know they have to. They are paying close to what Minnesota was paying Tubby if I recall(dont hold me to this but I read he had gotten an extension in 2012 to 1.75 mil.)

ISU basketball job isnt the hard sell that the football job is. McDermott and Morgan didnt due all that great there but Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy,Hoiberg,Johnny Orr did. Morgan wasnt awful either.

My biggest issue with Hoiberg is how he has built his teams.

I'm not faulting him for giving kids' second chances, but I don't trust it as a way to build a program. I also think it would be eaten alive by our local media.

If he was recruiting kids to MN rather than Iowa St., do you think he would still have as great a need to gain an advantage in recruiting using those same methods you're referring to?

Top Bottom