Defensive backfield - I don't get it

Reaction score
Cooper is being moved to linebacker. Supposedly the fastest guy on the team.

Stoudermire (sp?) is switching to offense. Another fantastic athlete.

Brock has to be a big question mark at this point.

Sherels is hurt.

Someone please give me something substantive to make me feel better about our now razor thin backfield. (Yes, I'm excited about Carter. But that's only one guy.)

I too am a little puzzled. This is starting to remind of the Mason years where he tried to switch our most athletic defenders to offense. I am curious to see how the D and D-backfield shape up

Word is that Watkins is very underrated. Also, Lewis looks like a strong player. Including Carter, its likely these three freshmen will see a fair amount of time on the field this year (and they need to if we have any shot at having a decent secondary in 2010). I also like Dandridge with a year of experience under his belt. Comments from Brew indicate he may push Theret for the starting spot (assuming Brock isn't back and Royston takes the otherspot).

Coop was moved to LB last year. He may not have the ability to play Safety at a high level, we just don't know.

TS got moved to offense last year when we were dying for play makers and who knows how good he may have been at corner. I do wish TS had stayed on D and maybe got worked in for 5-7 plays on offense but it seems the coaches are really high on the freshmen DBs we have coming in

Dont be forgetting about Big Play Traye!!!!

Dont be forgetting about Big Play Traye!!!!

Seriously, what are we going to do without Brock? ;)

Seriously though, it is spring ball, and the coaches are probably testing some switches. If depth is, or becomes an issue, you have to think they would move a few guys back to the D. Trust the coaches.

Yes, I'm happy Traye is back

And yes, I'm happy Royston is here too.

But it seems we are purposely getting thinner in an area that wasn't deep to begin with. This also makes me nervous given our only consistent pass rush from last year is gone. Maybe I better get myself over to spring practice to make myself feel better.

Thanks for the info guys.

Rallis backed up Brock last year and he is still playing safety.

Like all of football, everything is connected. If the pass rush is better, then the DBs will look better. I really hope Edwards, McKinley, and Kirksey step up this year.

Don't panic, things will work themselves out, Coach Lee is no dummie. Troy is too small to hold up in the big ten at CB. I also think anybody thinking a Fr. will b ready to start right away is dreaming. Maybe by later in the yr, but that is what happend to Collato, he is now screwed in the head. Had they waited and let him mature he might have turned out to be an OK corner.

As for Cooper being the fastest on the team moved to LB, also think about sacks and covering the RBs and TEs on pass plays. Big advantage having Cooper there if he can swing it!

Why do people believe Cooper is being moved to LB? He practiced with the scout team at LB all of last season and he was redshirted to gain enough weight to be a Big Ten LB. Yes, the recruiting services called him a safety but that doesn't mean the Gophers saw him as a safety.

As Oleboy mentioned, Stoudermire was moved in the middle of last season because we lacked playmakers at WR.

This spring we are razor thin for depth at WR. Decker is with the baseball team, and Kuznia hurt his hamstring so we are left with Green, Smith, Brandon, McKnight and Stoudermire for WR depth. My guess is that if we plan on moving Stoudermire or McKnight to DB as has been rumored they will probably wait until we have Decker, Carpenter, Allen and Keise in camp. We could probably move one this spring but it would be hard to do more than that. With Carpenter and Allen we won't be lacking playmakers so I personally would not be surprised if Stoudermire moves back to CB. And he is definitely not too small to hold up at CB in the Big Ten.

The difference between Collado and Carter, and why Carter will be more ready to play as a frosh than Collado was, is that Carter is a lot more talented. Say what you will about recruiting services and stars but Collado was a 2-star with unimpressive offers and Carter is a 4-star Army All America with a much more impressive offer list. He held up very well in the Army AA game against the best WR's in the country. If or when Carter plays this season it will be because he beat out players with more experience and not because we have nobody else that can fill the position. He likely will work in to the nickel back role rather than being forced to be a starting CB in our base defense.

With or without Brock we have more depth at DB for 2009 than we did in 2008. We return both starting CB's, at least 1 starting S and if Brock comes back we return our entire starting defensive backfield. Collado played Nickel last year and he returns. Royston is a projected starter at Safety (either Brock/Royston or Royston/Theret at safeties) and he wasn't eligible last season. With a year under his belt Dandridge is expected to compete with Theret for a safety position. We add 3 talented freshman with Carter, Lewis and Watkins and from comments from Brewster, Carter is expected to compete for playing time this fall.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about d-back depth for 2010 than I am 2009 and I would be surprised if we don't add 5 DB's through recruiting this off season with at least one Juco CB.

There is enough talent to go around to cover our DB and WR needs. The trick is to get everyone moved into their optimal positions so they can get plenty of reps. Keep the faith.

The difference between Collado and Carter, and why Carter will be more ready to play as a frosh than Collado was, is that Carter is a lot more talented. Say what you will about recruiting services and stars but Collado was a 2-star with unimpressive offers and Carter is a 4-star Army All America with a much more impressive offer list. He held up very well in the Army AA game against the best WR's in the country. If or when Carter plays this season it will be because he beat out players with more experience and not because we have nobody else that can fill the position. He likely will work in to the nickel back role rather than being forced to be a starting CB in our base defense.
from the video i have seen of carter he is definitely ready to play as a freshman. his performance versus some of the best WRs in the country at the practices for the AA game was eye opening. he stuck like glue to FAST receivers and played a LOT bigger than his size.

from the video i have seen of carter he is definitely ready to play as a freshman. his performance versus some of the best WRs in the country at the practices for the AA game was eye opening. he stuck like glue to FAST receivers and played a LOT bigger than his size.

here's that video.

<div><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="400" height="333" id="yfop"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="id=11321415&shareEnable=0" /><embed src="http://d.yimg.com/cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/fop/embedflv/swf/fop.swf" width="400" height="330" name="yfop" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="id=11321415&shareEnable=0"></embed></object><br /><a href="/video/recruiting-football/AMP-East-WR-vs-DB-42983">AMP: East WR vs DB</a> @ <a href="http://rivals.yahoo.com/video" >Rivals Video</a></div>

Based on that video, I hope he learns not to hug the WRs that far off the line, you could even hear the coaches yelling "don't hold him." He does look pretty quick, and that is definitely something we have been missing.

I hope we can redshirt some of the freshman. I hate having to play freshman. Most are not ready and would be of better use as a 5th yr. senior than a freshman on ST.

This is the problem with red shirting freshmen. outside of the OL and QB, If a kid is not good enough to play as a freshman by redshirting him you tie up a schollie for one extra year with a kid that probably isn't as D1 suitable as the kid you could recruit in year five. You lock your team into a pattern of less talent.

Obviously there are exceptions, great athletes changing positions. Really fast and skilled kids who need bulk. things like that. But you never want to red shirt a kid just because he can't crack the depth chart. In our situation it's compounded because as the program improves so does the level of recruit. You don't want to be tied to a low three star talent and miss a four later.

But if we ever got back to the no freshmen rule in the NCAA I'd be all for it for the reasons you stated and academics.

While Cooper may have been listed as a S recruit, the biggest knock on him was that most felt he didnt have skill to play S in college and that he was destined to be a linebacker. This was brought up during the UA game.

cooper will be a stud WR...Sherels will be ready by the time we start next year so him and BPT will dominate their sides of the field...throw in a more experienced theret and royston who i hear is damn good...maybe brock...i think we're just fine

Cooper? The linebacker?

cooper will be a stud WR...Sherels will be ready by the time we start next year so him and BPT will dominate their sides of the field...throw in a more experienced theret and royston who i hear is damn good...maybe brock...i think we're just fine

Do you mean Stoudemeier? (sp?) He is the guy who switched from db to wr this spring...

Top Bottom