Tough love for offensive line

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' blog:

Tough love for offensive line
Gophers junior left guard Dom Alford said new offensive line coach Tim Davis has an intense and in-your-face style that some players might not be used to. But Alford likes it.

"He's a tough coach; my high school offensive line coach is very similar to him," Alford said. "If you can take that kind of coaching, I think he'll be a great coach. You have to take it as constructive criticism, then it will only make you better."

Alford gave an example of the constructive criticism Davis had for Matt Stommes, who made the move from defensive line to offensive line last season. The 6-foot-7, 300-pound Stommes didn't play much until the bowl game but is now projected as the team's starting left tackle.

"Earlier today we were watching film," he said. "(Coach Davis) said, 'Stommes, three months ago, when I first got here, you couldn't get out of a stance. Now, you're probably the most athletic guy we have.' That really said a lot about Coach Davis, because he really put a lot of time into us."

There also might not be another player more excited than Alford about 6-7, 375-pound right tackle Jeff Wills.

"He's a big guy, but for he's freakishly athletic for his size," he said. "For him being that big and being able to move that well, I think it will really help him out in the Big Ten."

-- Gophers coach Tim Brewster continued to speak highly of sophomore wide receiver Da'Jon McKnight. I'm almost starting to believe that coaches are higher on him than fellow sophomore Brandon Green, a former four-star recruit. Brewster also said that sophomore Troy Stoudermire would be permanently moved to receiver from defensive back.

"Troy really gives us some explosiveness," he said. "We worked him as a defensive back early on, but we felt like he was such a dynamic guy with the ball. We decided to play him on offense and give him some touches."

-- With so many receivers likely competing for playing time, Brewster said he wouldn't totally ditch the four- and five-receiver spread offensive sets. But the two-back, two-tight end downhill running style would still be the main focus.

-- Senior receiver Ben Kuznia was off crutches today, but he missed practice with a hamstring injury.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/03/tough_love_for_offensive_line.html

Go Gophers!!

Stommmes=wildcard
i will be extremely interested to see him move.

Top Bottom