All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

PiPress: Cretin-Derham Hall DE Jashon Cornell No. 1 recruit in 2015 class

"I think it's way too early to count out any team," Shanker said. "He's not ready to name a top group. He'll probably come out with a (list of his) top 10 or top 15 (teams) halfway through the season. At this point, I can't say whether Minnesota is going to be on there. It's too early to count out the Gophers as a potential landing spot, but they definitely have an uphill road with Cornell."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_23671142/cretin-derham-hall-de-jashon-cornell-no-1

Go Gophers!!

Best thing I noticed after watching this video.... Even after a sack, all he does is clap once as he turns and jogs away from the QB...

Worst thing I noticed was the God-awful music. I had to keep looking over my shoulder for the killer with the butcher knife.

This is awesome! When is the last time we signed the #1 recruit in the nation?

This is awesome! When is the last time we signed the #1 recruit in the nation?

Never, as far as I can recall. But I highly extremely doubt we'll get this kid. I graduated from Cretin a couple years ago, and the football players don't talk about the Gophers. It's all about Notre Dame. Michael Floyd, James Onowalu. Shantrel Henderson who was the top recruit in the country about four years ago chose USC and Miami.

I know it's self defeatist, but the vibes are not good from this kid.
It's just amazing that a MN HS could put out so many great, transformational type players and NEVER have one go to the U.
Hopefully Cornell becomes that hometown hero that changes everything like Javeon Clowney did for South Carolina.

If the gophers win 8 games this year and 9 or 10 the next year which I definitely think we can then we will have just as good of a shot at landing him as anybody in the nation, obviously right now we don't have a shot at him right now but we will eventually, trust me

I highly doubt we land the kid, but as Seantrel Henderson is proving, it may not end up being as big of a blow/disappointment as you might expect.

I have full faith and confidence in Kill building this program. If he can get this kind of recruit, great, if not I still think we are going in the right direction. Kill and co. are more about developing unheralded talent than bringing in top 25 classes year after year, which is fine for a school like us right now.

There has been a sea change since the days of yore. These are not the days of Mobley, Harris. They are well part of the past. A new era began, dare I say when Coach Brewster opened the dialog with the High School Coaches. He had a big time recruit who had his choice of schools commit. He never played a down. But 2008 saw Sam Maresh choose to stay at home. Shady Solomon and John Nance from Cretin committed. Then you have Ra Sheed Hageman from Washburn chooses to stay home. Jimmy Gjere was next, again he could have choose to go anywhere. Andre McDonald, Jonah Pirsig, and Max Williams, Mitch Leidner, Phillip Nelson, Issac Hayes and we were proclaiming the border is now closed. But then something amplified the change in the staying home and building something when Jeff Jones committed. The trend in recruiting with Coach Kill is positive. There should be no doubt that we will land Jashnon Cornell. While he says he will wait till singing day, I think the early attention feeding his ego will soon turn to pressure. Pressure from all those coaches calling, visiting, texting. When it comes to what he wants it might be peace and quiet. I think he might be getting texts from Jones, Nelson, Hayes, et al. And playing at home in front of family and friends 6 times a year rather maybe once will weigh on him and Mom.

There has been a sea change since the days of yore. These are not the days of Mobley, Harris. They are well part of the past. A new era began, dare I say when Coach Brewster opened the dialog with the High School Coaches. He had a big time recruit who had his choice of schools commit. He never played a down. But 2008 saw Sam Maresh choose to stay at home. Shady Solomon and John Nance from Cretin committed. Then you have Ra Sheed Hageman from Washburn chooses to stay home. Jimmy Gjere was next, again he could have choose to go anywhere. Andre McDonald, Jonah Pirsig, and Max Williams, Mitch Leidner, Phillip Nelson, Issac Hayes and we were proclaiming the border is now closed. But then something amplified the change in the staying home and building something when Jeff Jones committed. The trend in recruiting with Coach Kill is positive. There should be no doubt that we will land Jashnon Cornell. While he says he will wait till singing day, I think the early attention feeding his ego will soon turn to pressure. Pressure from all those coaches calling, visiting, texting. When it comes to what he wants it might be peace and quiet. I think he might be getting texts from Jones, Nelson, Hayes, et al. And playing at home in front of family and friends 6 times a year rather maybe once will weigh on him and Mom.

Remember, when Momma is happy, everyone is happy.

jeff jones, andre mcdonald, isaac hayes are not the same players as jashon, he is #1 in the nation, but i hope you're right, and williams, pirsig, nelson and mitch liedner are nothing close to being considered highly touted

i dont have insider but i saw this

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=42351

The No. 1 junior nationally will not be going to the dark side. No, Big Ten fans, Jashon Cornell is not referring to Arkansas or Florida or Missouri or any SEC program recruiting the nation’s top player in hopes of persuading him to leave the Big Ten’s backyard.

The dark side of the ball is a place Cornell, the No. 1 prospect in the 2015 ESPN Junior 300, has played only twice before and told his St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham Hall coaches to never put him again.

“Offensive line, I refuse to play it,” Cornell, a defensive end/linebacker hybrid, said. “I can’t play the O-line. It’s not for me. That’s going over to the dark side.”

jeff jones, andre mcdonald, isaac hayes are not the same players as jashon, he is #1 in the nation, but i hope you're right, and williams, pirsig, nelson and mitch liedner are nothing close to being considered highly touted

I would disagree. Nelson and Pirsig in my opinion were both highly touted recruits, and Pirsig's offer list was very impressive.

College football is about recruiting a lot of good players, and one defensive end will mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Remember Seantrel Henderson and the grand claims of what his commitment would mean?

Husker is astute. Not perfect, but astute. The Gopher dark side will determine our record and our record may well determine whether Cornell sees a Gopher fit.

When the dark side meshes and dominates the line of scrimmage our good selection of RBs will run wild. When they run wild our passing works. When we score points, the Gophers will compete with anyone and beat most of our competition. Cornell will follow because our D is coming on very strong, but the dark side has to maintain ball control.

College football is about recruiting a lot of good players, and one defensive end will mean very little in the grand scheme of things. Remember Seantrel Henderson and the grand claims of what his commitment would mean?

Yep, I agree. One player, himself, doesn't change an entire program. I do think a player can mean more as a recruit than he even contributes on the field. What I mean is that I think if a player or two decided to stay home and they got a bulk of an entire class to follow suit, it definitely helps. I think we saw a little bit of this with Nelson, Pirsig, Hayes and McDonald. It seemed like Nelson kind of got that ball rolling. I could be wrong, they might have all committed here regardless of the others. Ultimately I agree with you though, football is way more about a quantity of quality players whereas basketball is the super stars.

I would disagree. Nelson and Pirsig in my opinion were both highly touted recruits, and Pirsig's offer list was very impressive.

Absolutely.

People tend to look at the rankings as some sort of indicator, when it really comes down to the other offers. What I mean is that Cornell isn't less likely to pick us because he's #1 instead of #35. What makes his recruitment difficult is the number of big time programs that are offering him (for him, all of them). Pirsig had a really impressive offer sheet, Hageman had a tremendous offer sheet (Florida, Ohio State), and McDonald all had a lot of nice offers. Nelson likely would have had a lot of offers but he committed so early.

We landed Pirsig when he could have played football at Michigan, that is difficult for the U regardless of where ESPN puts his ranking.

I'm tired of the Notre Dame connection with Cretin. We may not keep everyone but we really need to get to the point where we don't lose anyone to a school within the Big Ten footprint. That includes Iowa State and ND.

If someone leaves for Alabama or USC it's a bummer but it isn't 1/2 as bad as someone going to Ohio State, Michigan, or Notre Dame. It isn't 1/8 as bad as someone going to Wisconsin or Iowa.

It's not like top 10 recruits typically stay home to play football anyway, even in hotbeds like Florida, California, or Texas. They land their share, but there are plenty of top 10 guys who go to other states to play football, that isn't a Minnesota thing at all. I'm guessing less than half (and probably even less) of top 10, 15 players in a given recruiting class actually play in their home state, and I'm also guessing most of the ones who do are in Florida, Texas, or Cali, not schools like ours, as much as I love the U.

We'll see, I'm not all that optimistic about landing him, but it's fun to think about the possibility though.

Never, as far as I can recall. But I highly extremely doubt we'll get this kid. I graduated from Cretin a couple years ago, and the football players don't talk about the Gophers. It's all about Notre Dame. Michael Floyd, James Onowalu. Shantrel Henderson who was the top recruit in the country about four years ago chose USC and Miami.

I'm also a Cretin grad, a few years before you, and I kind of disagree with you. The thing with Cretin is that it has a lot of top end athletes get offers. The state has had a difficult time landing these kids regardless of where they are from. We thought JC was gone when Alabama offered and he isn't a Cretin guy.

As far as the U not being talked about amongst the football players. I don't know, I don't talk to any players anymore. However, people forget that A LOT of Cretin grads play football at the U and have over the past few years. They weren't the all stars like Floyd or Henderson, but in total numbers, the U gets a lot of Cretin guys. Recently, Zach Mottla, Shady, Jared Hartmann (Current long snapper), Rhoda (captain of the team the last year (maybe 2?), Rafael Eubanks, Rian Melander, McElroy, etc.

A lot of Cretin guys are also Gophers/former Gophers. I think there is a misconception over a lot of the anti-Gopher sentiment at Cretin because Cretin has had a lot of these blue chipper type of players. It stinks to say, but we have a hard time recruiting elite recruits from anywhere.

I'm tired of the Notre Dame connection with Cretin. We may not keep everyone but we really need to get to the point where we don't lose anyone to a school within the Big Ten footprint. That includes Iowa State and ND.

If someone leaves for Alabama or USC it's a bummer but it isn't 1/2 as bad as someone going to Ohio State, Michigan, or Notre Dame. It isn't 1/8 as bad as someone going to Wisconsin or Iowa.

I agree with you, but I don't think you understand most Cretin athletes. For most people who went to Cretin, Notre Dame is ranked higher than Alabama or USC. I know what you mean about the footprint argument, but it doesn't apply to Notre Dame for most of these kids.

It's not like top 10 recruits typically stay home to play football anyway, even in hotbeds like Florida, California, or Texas. They land their share, but there are plenty of top 10 guys who go to other states to play football, that isn't a Minnesota thing at all. I'm guessing less than half (and probably even less) of top 10, 15 players in a given recruiting class actually play in their home state, and I'm also guessing most of the ones who do are in Florida, Texas, or Cali, not schools like ours, as much as I love the U.

We'll see, I'm not all that optimistic about landing him, but it's fun to think about the possibility though.

If we have a good little two year run, I think we have a REAL shot. I'm just excited for the U to start winning more often and I'm optimistic. If Jashon gets swept up into the mix, great.

It's not like top 10 recruits typically stay home to play football anyway, even in hotbeds like Florida, California, or Texas. They land their share, but there are plenty of top 10 guys who go to other states to play football, that isn't a Minnesota thing at all. I'm guessing less than half (and probably even less) of top 10, 15 players in a given recruiting class actually play in their home state, and

Rivals: top ten players the last 2 years.....5 of 20 stayed in home state

Last 5 years......18 of 50 stayed in home state

The only ones that stayed in state for a "lesser" program relative to the USC-Alabama-Florida State types were two guys to Missouri and one to Maryland.

I'm also a Cretin grad, a few years before you, and I kind of disagree with you. The thing with Cretin is that it has a lot of top end athletes get offers. The state has had a difficult time landing these kids regardless of where they are from. We thought JC was gone when Alabama offered and he isn't a Cretin guy.

As far as the U not being talked about amongst the football players. I don't know, I don't talk to any players anymore. However, people forget that A LOT of Cretin grads play football at the U and have over the past few years. They weren't the all stars like Floyd or Henderson, but in total numbers, the U gets a lot of Cretin guys. Recently, Zach Mottla, Shady, Jared Hartmann (Current long snapper), Rhoda (captain of the team the last year (maybe 2?), Rafael Eubanks, Rian Melander, McElroy, etc.

A lot of Cretin guys are also Gophers/former Gophers. I think there is a misconception over a lot of the anti-Gopher sentiment at Cretin because Cretin has had a lot of these blue chipper type of players. It stinks to say, but we have a hard time recruiting elite recruits from anywhere.

It's tough to read the names of those cretin kids who have committed to the U in comparison to those that did not, and then look around the state at some who took a homestate offer over other big timers. Something else has to be afoot here besides just "it's tough to get big time recruits to come here".
If Hageman/McDonald/Pirsig/Jones/etc had gone to cretin would he have been swayed to ND?
It's an honest question worth pondering.

Jashon Cornell is from St. Paul, Minn., and is the No. 1 junior in the country. He plays football, not hockey, too.

Minnesota high school football players don’t often get the same attention as players from Friday Night Light football havens such as California, Florida, and Texas, or even other northern states such as Ohio. Minnesota still boasts some top-level football talent, though, as Cornell is No. 1 in the 2015 ESPN Junior 300, which was released Tuesday.

While colleges know a lot about Cornell -- he has more than 20 offers -- he is not a national name with recruiting fans just yet. That will change soon, especially as he looks to improve upon his sophomore season when he produced 52 tackles, 14 sacks, 26 tackles for loss, forced three fumbles and blocked a field goal.

Jashon Cornell
Defensive end
Uncommitted: List

Pos Rk Stars Grade Hometown
89 Saint Paul, MN
But until then, here is a little more about the top-ranked Class of 2015 prospect.

School: St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham Hall.
Height: 6-foot-3, 245 pounds.
Position: DE/OLB.
Offers: California, Florida, Florida State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, South Florida, Stanford, USC, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin.
Favorite video game: NCAA 14. (Cornell did not give any glimpse into a favorite college team, though. He and friends always randomize which team they must play as, which one time left Cornell as his hometown Minnesota Gophers going up against Alabama.)
Food: “I eat everything. I can’t say on that, but probably steak or some type of barbecue.”
School Subject: “Science. I always knew I can get an A in it. I like history, too.”
Favorite professional sports team: “The Warriors. They just got Andre Iguodala. My favorite NFL team, I’ve always been a Chicago Bears fan.”
Bears 2013 prediction: “I think they should be solid. I don’t think they’ll go to the Super Bowl. They have some building to do, but they’ll be one of the great teams again.”
Cornell’s Super Bowl pick: “I think the 49ers. Maybe the Jets [to represent the AFC] if they get their stuff together.”
Favorite NFL player: “Ray Lewis. He’s retired but one of my favorites because he always worked hard.”
Favorite musician: Jay Z.
Favorite restaurant: Chipotle.
Favorite TV show: Friday Night Lights.
Favorite quality: “I’m a people person.”
Favorite part of his game: Speed.
Least favorite part of his game: Hands.
Biggest inspiration: Mother.
Hobbies: Video games, basketball, golf, Frisbee golf.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncf...9/introducing-top-2015-recruit-jashon-cornell

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 3m
Spent time this a.m. w/ CDH's Jashon Cornell. Wearing: ND hat, #Gophers shirt, MSU shorts & USC bag. Loves Kill. Will be at MN BBQ tomorrow.

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 1m
(con.) Cornell, nation's top 2015 recruit per ESPN, is very close w/ Washburn RB Jeff Jones. They've talked about tag-teaming w/ #Gophers.

Getting Cornell would be an even bigger upset than getting Tyus Jones and there is no way Tyus is coming to the U.

I agree with you, but I don't think you understand most Cretin athletes. For most people who went to Cretin, Notre Dame is ranked higher than Alabama or USC. I know what you mean about the footprint argument, but it doesn't apply to Notre Dame for most of these kids.

Do you think that might have to do with both being Catholic schools???

Top Bottom