All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

Jashon Cornell tweet: @jay_rock16: Just received my 16th offer from Indiana University #Hoosiers

Go Gophers!!

All things Jashon Cornell

i'm surprised someone didnt make this thread sooner but cretin sophmore jashon cornell lookes to be a 5 star recruit and has 18 offers, including OSU, michigan USC, notre dame, florida etc. i think if we go 8-4 this year and 9-3 or so the next year which i definitly think we can do then we will have just as good of a shot at landing him as anybody in the country

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Jashon-Cornell-140794

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have heard from most of the top programs in the country. Is there one school that you would love to hear from?

Jashon Cornell: Right now, some SEC schools.

I don't like the sound of that. Who knows? Win a few more games this year, make a respectable bowl game, and hopefully we can turn some Minnesota talent into diehard Gopher fans. Guess I am not in these players shoes. I was never that athletically gifted but I have been a Gophers fan for as long as I can remember. Being only 23 years old, I have had the pleasure of sitting through several abysmal seasons in both football and basketball. We have some highly recruited players on the roster who have been faithful to their hometown university. If we want to move up into the top half of the Big Ten however, we need to establish a better relationship with our in-state recruits. Cornell and Jones are two that we really need to have commit.

if we win 8 games this year and 9 or 10 in 2 years then we will have just as good of a shot at landing him as anybody in the country at landing him, i read in an interview that he really likes northwestern because of all the internships in chicago and wants to major in either buisnees and law, that is actually nice to hear and the U has alot to offer with that being the carlson school of management which he can go to and get an intership in the twin cities where there are plenty of oprotunites

He will be getting internships in Chicago...while he's playing for Notre Dame.

you guys cant just assume he is going to notre dame soley based on the fact that he goes to cretin, when i read Q and A's about him and interviews when he talks about notre dame he isnt super enthusiastic, i mean he likes them but when he talks about ND its not as enthusiastic as when tyus talks about coack K and duke

you guys cant just assume he is going to notre dame soley based on the fact that he goes to cretin, when i read Q and A's about him and interviews when he talks about notre dame he isnt super enthusiastic, i mean he likes them but when he talks about ND its not as enthusiastic as when tyus talks about coack K and duke

One may not assume, but you also probably didn't know that he has already visited Notre Dame 4 times..and hes not yet a junior in high school. Whether he ends up at ND or some other major helmet school, which is extremely plausible, things are trending away from Minnesota at the moment. He loves the national attention. Kid is 6-4 240 and ran a 4.69 laser time 40 at a Nike camp recently. Beastly

Either way, his decision date is still almost two years away, as he is planning a 2015 NSD decision. Dust in the wind at this point.

Cornell tweet: @jay_rock16: Im ranked the #18 recruit overall in class of 2015 on #247Sports

Go Gophers!!

ra'shede hageman going in the first round would help a lot at getting him

i think jashon cornell could be minnesota's version of williams gholston form michigan state or josh ogelsby from wisconsin, gholston and ogelsby were both 5 star recruits, they had offers from everywhere in the country, and could have played anywhere they wanted but chose to play at a lesser school, the homestate school and became those teams signature recruits that kick started their recruiting classes, cornell could be that guy, and wisconsin and MSU were pretty average when those players committed, and minnesota still has 2 more year to get this turned around and get cornell to play here

i think jashon cornell could be minnesota's version of williams gholston form michigan state or josh ogelsby from wisconsin, gholston and ogelsby were both 5 star recruits, they had offers from everywhere in the country, and could have played anywhere they wanted but chose to play at a lesser school, the homestate school and became those teams signature recruits that kick started their recruiting classes, cornell could be that guy, and wisconsin and MSU were pretty average when those players committed, and minnesota still has 2 more year to get this turned around and get cornell to play here

don't we say this with every big time recruit from MN. Sadly, they don't come here.

Do you ever consider what a recruit thinks when he reads all the negative things that are written on here?

Do you ever consider what a recruit thinks when he reads all the negative things that are written on here?

Sad to say that is a very good point. They do come here and also their parents.

@allentrieu: Cretin Derham Hall (Minn.) 2015 LB-DE Jashon Cornell picked up a #Pitt

@allentrieu: #Illinois offers Cretin Derham Hall (Minn.) 2015 DE Jashon Cornell

@allentrieu: Kansas has also offered Cretin Derham Hall (Minn.) 2015 DE Jashon Cornell - his 20th offer

Go Gophers!!

Josh Oglesby committed in the spring of 2006. Wisconsin's record for the three seasons prior to his committment was 31-7 (.815). Michigan State's record for the three seasons prior to William Gholston's committment was 22-17 (.564). I'd consider Michigan State average and leave Wisconsin out of the equation.

Josh Oglesby committed in the spring of 2006. Wisconsin's record for the three seasons prior to his committment was 31-7 (.815). Michigan State's record for the three seasons prior to William Gholston's committment was 22-17 (.564). I'd consider Michigan State average and leave Wisconsin out of the equation.

So wouldn't that be the 2003, 2004, and 2005 seasons where Wisconsin went 7-6, 9-3, 10-3? Adds up to 26-12 for me. Still good, but it's not 31-7.

don't we say this with every big time recruit from MN. Sadly, they don't come here.

It depends upon what your definition of "big time recruit" is.

We landed Jonah Pirsig (offers from Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan)
Hageman (Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida, Nebraska)

We didn't land a few of them, but I think it's pretty safe to say tha Jonah and Hageman were pretty "big time" recruits. As far as people who are more highley rated than these two. . .who are they? Seantrel and Michael Floyd? Those two don't seem like a big enough sample size to come to your conclusion.

*Note, I understand that other guys in the Jonah and Hageman range have gone elsewhere (Mobley, WLA, etc.). The pont is that on occasion players of this caliber from MN do choose the Gophers.

It depends upon what your definition of "big time recruit" is.

We landed Jonah Pirsig (offers from Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan)
Hageman (Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida, Nebraska)

We didn't land a few of them, but I think it's pretty safe to say tha Jonah and Hageman were pretty "big time" recruits. As far as people who are more highley rated than these two. . .who are they? Seantrel and Michael Floyd? Those two don't seem like a big enough sample size to come to your conclusion.

*Note, I understand that other guys in the Jonah and Hageman range have gone elsewhere (Mobley, WLA, etc.). The pont is that on occasion players of this caliber from MN do choose the Gophers.

pirsig and hageman were far from big time recruits, pirsig was a consensus 3 star and hageman was a 4 star in scout but 3 on ESPN and rivals, andre mcdonald, jimmy gjere(dont know how to spell it)lamonte edwards, isaac hayes tommy olson, jeff jones are the best players we have gotten from MN but a big time recruit is a seantrel, michael floyd, joe mauer or larry fitzgerald caliber recruit which we havent gotten any, cornell is in the same class as those 4

pirsig and hageman were far from big time recruits, pirsig was a consensus 3 star and hageman was a 4 star in scout but 3 on ESPN and rivals, andre mcdonald, jimmy gjere(dont know how to spell it)lamonte edwards, isaac hayes tommy olson, jeff jones are the best players we have gotten from MN but a big time recruit is a seantrel, michael floyd, joe mauer or larry fitzgerald caliber recruit which we havent gotten any, cornell is in the same class as those 4

Hageman had offers from Florida, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Oklahoma among others. I wouldn't exactly call that "far from" being a big time recruit.

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – Saint Paul (Minn.) Cretin Derham Hall outside linebacker/defensive end Jashon Cornell was the last five-star to arrive at the Adidas Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy, getting to the Detroit area on Thursday evening.

2015 five-star Jashon Cornell got a chance to spend time with the coaching staffs of Michigan and Ohio State while at the Sound Mind Sound Body Showcase on Friday.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Cornell was ready to go on Friday, battling a tight back to still dominate the 1-on-1 portion of the camp.

Cornell also felt a lot of love from the coaches at the camp, specifically mentioning Michigan head coach Brady Hoke and Ohio State assistant Mike Vrabel. Both the Wolverines and Buckeyes have offered, as have the likes of California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Stanford, USC, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin.

While in the area, Cornell said he hoped to visit both Michigan and Michigan State. On June 22, he plans to be in the Sunshine State.

“I think I’m hitting all the Florida schools,” Cornell said.

Cornell says he remains in contact with most of the schools that have offered.

“At this moment, all the coaches are showing me a lot of love right now,” he said. “All the Big Ten schools. “Coach Vrabel, the coaches from Michigan, Coach (Larry) Johnson from Penn State and Coach (Eric) Johnson from Iowa. Coach (Mike) Elston and Coach (Chuck) Martin from Notre Dame.”

Cornell has also seen attention come from quite a few head coaches.

“Coach (Lane) Kiffin, Coach Hoke and Coach (Urban) Meyer from Ohio State,” Cornell said of who’s in regular touch. “Penn State and Iowa too. Everybody has been showing me a lot of love.”

Ranked as the nation’s No. 18 prospect overall by 247Sports, Cornell thinks Ole Miss could be next to offer.

http://247sports.com/Article/Adidas-Sound-Mind-Sound-Body-Day-Two-Recap-135211

If you read between the lines, it sounds like Kill has him locked up. Go Gophers!

Jashon Cornell, a 5-star outside linebacker in the class of 2015, goes to a high school known for its pipeline to Notre Dame, but don't be so quick to jump to conclusions about where he will end up.

While Notre Dame is listed as the one and only "warm interest" on Cornell's 247Sports interest list, the 6'4'', 245-pound linebacker still seems open to other possibilities.

Located in Saint Paul Minn., Cretin-Derham Hall High School has sent a multitude of recruits to Notre Dame, including former star wide receiver Michael Floyd.

Other former Cretin-Derham players who have committed to the Fighting Irish include running back Rashon Powers-Neal, tight end Marcus Freeman and offensive linemen Matt Carufel and Ryan Harris.

The latest Cretin-Derham recruit to follow the pipeline to Notre Dame was 2013 4-star wide receiver James Onwualu, so it's quite obvious that the connection between the two schools is strong.

In a recent phone interview with Bleacher Report, Cornell opened up about the pipeline.

"Everybody goes to Notre Dame. That was the first camp I went to as a freshman, just because James Onuwalu took me down there. I went down there with him just to check it out, to get my name out there for the first time. Everybody thinks I'll go there just because people from my school went there and just because of the pipeline."

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
He went on to explain that the pipeline did mean a lot, but Notre Dame is not elevated in his mind because of that, saying, "It's [Notre Dame] the same as most of my other schools."
If not Notre Dame, then which schools are standing out for Cornell?

"Right now all the schools are in it," he said, "but I've been getting a lot of love from USC, Michigan, Ohio State. Most of the Big Ten schools."

As far as visits are concerned, Cornell mentioned that he'd like to go back to Iowa (he visited in 2011, according to his 247Sports timeline), and he's planning on heading to Florida to visit the Gators, Florida State and USF. He also wants to go to ''Friday Night Lights'' at Ohio State.

What's he looking for in a program?

"I'm just going through the process of checking out all the coaches," Cornell said. "Seeing what they're about and what their program is about, and how I would fit in their scheme.

"The thing I'm looking for the most is education," he said. "Education is the most important thing in my family. I'm looking for one of the top business schools in the country. That's what I'm probably going to major in, pre-business or pre-law, so I'm just looking for the best school that has that program."

While his desire to pursue a good education does bode well for Notre Dame, that's something that Michigan and other programs he's looking at can offer as well. Perhaps Notre Dame can find the final edge because of its pipeline to Cretin-Derham Hall.
But judging by his thoughts on the matter, it may not be a huge factor.

The good news for the Fighting Irish is that there is still time to sway Cornell. Unless a program wows him in the meantime, he's planning on committing on Signing Day, 2015.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-notre-dame-pipeline-visiting-the-sec-and-b1g

Jashon Cornell tweet:

@jay_rock16: Earned not given. I've achieved the #1 spot now I need to work relentlessly to keep it

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom