All Things Jashon Cornell Thread: Cornell commits to Ohio St

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Cretin's Jashon Cornell Says It Appeals to Him to Be a Hometown Hero
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/236584?referrer_id=388419

Jashon Cornell, a 6-foot-4 sophomore defensive end from St. Paul (MN) Cretin Derham Hall, is probably the top football player in the state in the Class of 2015. Cornell has already picked up an offer from the homestate school along with an offer from the school to our South. GopherHole.com caught up with Cornell after helping lead the Raiders to a 59-48 win over Eastview Wednesday night.

Gopher Hole: You picked up your third offer today from Rutgers. You have to pretty pleased with the interest that you have received so far.

Jashon Cornell: Yes, I have been really excited about this. It all came early for me. It was really surprising. My coach came down to the office and told me that I got an offer from Iowa and Minnesota offered later that day. It was all overwhelming. I was so surprised. I guess hard work pays off sometimes and today Rutgers offered me. Coach came down to me at lunch and talked to me about it. They said that they offered me and watched my film and liked how I played. He liked the way I go out there and get it done and stuff like that.

Gopher Hole: Had you been hearing much from Rutgers before this?

Jashon Cornell: My coach, Coach Scanlan, have been talking to a lot of coaches about me. He has been sending out my film to everybody. He has been handling all of that so far, but I have been talking to some coaches, like Iowa and Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: Rutgers has to be a little bit more appealing since they are moving to the Big Ten Conference, right?

Jashon Cornell: Yes. I think that getting three Big Ten offers is really big right now for me.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from the most right now?

Jashon Cornell: Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Illinois, Arkansas. Schools like that.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is tough with your basketball schedule, but have you had a chance to go to any Junior Days or visit any campuses lately?

Jashon Cornell: I went to Minnesota last week, but I haven’t had a chance to get anywhere else. I plan on going March 24th to Detroit for the adidas Invitational and I am going to fly out to Chicago to take an unofficial to Northwestern and head to Chicaog and stuff like that.

Gopher Hole: Do you like the recruitment process so far?

Jashon Cornell: I am loving it right now. It feels real good to be recruited early.

Gopher Hole: You come from a school that has had a lot of top players being recruited. Does that help that your coaches and friends who have been recruited can tell you what it is going to be like and help you out?

Jashon Cornell: James (Onwualu) and Tim Gordon have giving me the get-down on everything. They told me how everything goes. They have helped me out a lot.

Gopher Hole: Once the basketball season is over, what things are you going to be working on to improve yourself as a football player?

Jashon Cornell: I am working out with a trainer who comes to the school every day. As soon as the basket season is over, I’ll be working out with him in the weight room every day after school and I’ll be running track after I lift.

Gopher Hole: How do you think that basketball helps you as a football player in terms of footwork and thing like that?

Jashon Cornell: It helps my footwork a lot. It gets my hands ready and stuff like that for football.

Gopher Hole: What events are you going to try to run in track?

Jashon Cornell: I am 200-meter dash guy and 100-meter dash and relays.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about what camps you might attend this summer?

Jashon Cornell: I am going to go to the Under Armor Rivals Classic and I go to Nike the next day. I’ll probably head to Notre Dame for their Junior Day Camp. Iowa and schools like that.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers? What are they saying to you?

Jashon Cornell: When I went to the Gopher game last weekend (versus Penn State), they said “Look how Rodney Williams plays” and you could be one of those players who stays home and be the big-time school hero.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that appeals to you?

Jashon Cornell: Kind of. It appeals to me a lot. Being a hometown hero. Staying at home and putting us back on the map and stuff like that.

Gopher Hole: I know that a lot of hometown fans want you to stay here, but they know that Cretin has had a lot of kids go to Notre Dame. Is that something you have heard from Gopher fans or guys who want you to stay here and not go to Notre Dame?

Jashon Cornell: There has been some Twitter arguments about it. About me staying home and I get in fights with Notre Dame fans and other say “Stay home. It will be worth it.”

Gopher Hole: Obviously wherever you go, you are going to have great opportunities on the field and school-wise. You have to feel good about that no matter where you go?

Jashon Cornell: Yes. Wherever I go, I know that I am going to play my best and keep working hard and stay humble.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as your strengths as a football player?

Jashon Cornell: My hands and my feet. Just being quick. I get past the defender quick.

Gopher Hole: Cretin had a lot of good seniors, but you always have a good team every year. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Jashon Cornell: The expectations for next season is to get our offense together and I think that we will be really tough on defense. We are working on our offense right now, so some of the freshman, sophomore and juniors are going to be moving up. We have some real key players coming back like Tim Gordon. We have players like De’Angelo Funchess playing safety and we have Ricardo Johnson, who will be our starting quarterback and (running back) Blake Banham

Gopher Hole: You had a good year last season, but you obviously want to be in the Prep Bowl every year. Is that a motivating factor for you guys to go even farther this upcoming season?

Jashon Cornell: Yes. It is a big factor. We have weight room at 6 o’clock in the morning, so we see most of our football guys, lifting in the weight room and working out. Getting ready for next season.

A lb/de who runs the sprints? yowzah!

I'll keep an eye out for him this spring.
I found a meet where he ran 11.75 late in the year last year. he could be a low 11 before he's done.

That's a pretty impressive video for a Sophomore. He could be quite the beast by the time he graduates high school.

IMO this years Gopher performance is HUGE in attempting to land Jashon. If we can win 8 games and be really competitive against the top tier teams in the B1G we just may have a shot.

I really like what I see on film and from watching him play live. I couldn't believe he was a Sophmore. Kid has massive potential and hopefully he pulls a Jeff Jones and commits early.

I would love it, just to shut up "Gopher fan" Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis about taking another local boy to South Bend.

I'm not counting on it, though.

It sure looks like this kid will be a full blown national recruit. In the last 20 years, has there been a defensive end recruit from Minnesota that was recruited nationally? I think Binns was more of a regional recruit. Ashley played tackle, and I believe Mobley did too. Minnesota doesn't seem to produce an abundant amount of defensive line players, especially ends.

Best thing I noticed after watching this video.... Even after a sack, all he does is clap once as he turns and jogs away from the QB. There is no chest pounding or screaming like a possesed demon. I hope this kid continues to improve, keeps a level head, and averages about 10 sacks for us in the future.

Best thing I noticed after watching this video.... Even after a sack, all he does is clap once as he turns and jogs away from the QB. There is no chest pounding or screaming like a possesed demon. I hope this kid continues to improve, keeps a level head, and averages about 10 sacks for us in the future.

Are you sure that's not the 2nd best thing?

Best thing I noticed after watching this video.... Even after a sack, all he does is clap once as he turns and jogs away from the QB. There is no chest pounding or screaming like a possesed demon. I hope this kid continues to improve, keeps a level head, and averages about 10 sacks for us against Wisconsin in the future.

Fixed it for you.

per Sid:

The Gophers football program hasn’t had much luck recruiting outstanding players from Cretin-Derham Hall, but they might be in the running for outstanding sophomore defensive end Jashon Cornell, who has made some visits to the Minnesota campus and is a close personal friend of Minneapolis Washburn running back Jeff Jones, who already has committed to Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/198633861.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

The Gophers football program hasn’t had much luck recruiting outstanding players from Cretin-Derham Hall, but they might be in the running for outstanding sophomore defensive end Jashon Cornell, who has made some visits to the Minnesota campus and is a close personal friend of Minneapolis Washburn running back Jeff Jones, who already has committed to Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/198633861.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

So they've met.

@jay_rock16: Just received my fourth offer from USC #Blessed

Go Gophers!!

@jay_rock16: Just received my Sixth offer from Penn State #ThankGod #Blessed

Go Gophers!!

@gopherhole: According to @JoeCStrib, big time #Gophers football recruits Jeff Jones and Jashon Cornell attended U's spring practice today.

Go Gophers!!

this kid is a man child. really hope we can get him....

Q&A: Cretin's Jashon Cornell Enjoying Recruiting Process, Adding Big Time Offers

Cretin's Jashon Cornell Enjoying Recruiting Process, Adding Big Time Offers
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/246816?referrer_id=331171

Jashon Cornell, a 6-foot-4 sophomore defensive end from St. Paul (MN) Cretin Derham Hall, is probably the top football player in the state in the Class of 2015. Cornell has continued to pick up offers from some of the top programs in the country along with one from the homestate school. GopherHole.com caught up with Cornell Thursday night after practice for Howard Pulley to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You picked up two new offers from USC and Notre Dame. That has to make you feel awfully proud.

Jashon Cornell: I picked up Cal and Penn State, too. I am really pleased right now. It is early, but everything is going well for me right now. I just have to keep on working hard and stay humble.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Jashon Cornell: Seven.

Gopher Hole: Have you planned any trips in the near future? I know that it is a little bit tough with AAU basketball.

Jashon Cornell: I think that sometime this April and May, I am going to go to Michigan and Michigan State, Ohio State and back to Northwestern. Tomorrow night or Saturday, I might be heading to Nebraska for an unofficial visit.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to the U for any of their spring practices?

Jashon Cornell: If I don’t go this week to Nebraska, I’ll go Saturday to the U’s practice (which he did).

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the hometown school?

Jashon Cornell: I talk to (Coach) Limegrover every once and awhile. He keeps in touch with me about taking some visits.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you might try to decide on a school or is that still far away?

Jashon Cornell: Probably my senior year on Signing Day.

Gopher Hole: What is the best part of recruitment?

Jashon Cornell: Right now, it is all the coaches wanting me right now. It is a lot of excitement. It is really exciting for me.

Gopher Hole: What is the worst part or what don’t you like?

Jashon Cornell: The phone calls. Every other day getting them from different recruiters and Rivals. Sometimes it is overwhelming. Sometimes is not.

Gopher Hole: Do you get a lot of texts, too. Or is it mostly phone calls?

Jashon Cornell: Mostly phone calls. Sometimes text messages.

Gopher Hole: Do you mind the texts?

Jashon Cornell: I don’t mind the texts. The texts are fine, because it is nice and quick.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to improve yourself as a football player?

Jashon Cornell: Right now, I am working out with a trainer every day to keep getting better and on my moves and my feet.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have heard from most of the top programs in the country. Is there one school that you would love to hear from?

Jashon Cornell: Right now, some SEC schools.

It's a shame we've never established a pipeline with CDH. So much talent year after year.

Tweet from Jashon Cornell:

@jay_rock16: Just received my 13th offer from the University of Vanderbilt #VandyCommodores

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom