Brewster: "Defense is ahead right now"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Brewster: "Defense is ahead right now"
For the third straight year, the offense seems to be behind the defense to start spring ball for the University of Minnesota. And it became pretty clear to Gophers coach Tim Brewster after the second practice Thursday.

"I thought (Adam Weber) was much sharper today, but offensively we were a little sluggish," Brewster said. "Obviously, we're learning some new things. We weren't quite as sharp. The defense is ahead right now, without question."

After losing senior captains Willie VanDeSteeg and Steve Davis and veteran Deon Hightower on defense, Brewster said other leaders have emerged, such as senior linebacker Lee Campbell and defensive tackles Garrett Brown and Eric Small. He also mentioned the leadership qualities of Wisconsin transfer Kim Royston, a junior defensive back.

"They're playing with a real edge to them, and I like that," he said. "We're really solid up front. I really like our defensive line play. We're really getting penetration in the running game and getting after the quarterback. When you're strong in the middle of the defense, at the defensive tackle position, you really can do some things."

-- Brewster said he didn't think any wide receiver had established himself as the No. 1 guy with Eric Decker out this spring playing baseball. He thought Da'Jon McKnight, Xzavian Brandon and Brandon Green had the most talent, but needed to be more consistent. The younger receivers will get even more time if senior Ben Kuznia's injury is serious. Brewster said Kuznia might have pulled or strained his hamstring in Thursday's practice. He was on crutches later.

"You seem them making plays," Brewster said about his young receivers. "Then you see them drop a ball, you seem them bust a route. But I've never used youth as an excuse."

-- The Gophers will practice in pads for the first time Friday but won't don full pads until next week.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/

Go Gophers!!

That's probably to be expected. It's much easier to get the defense off to a quick start, especially since the offense is learning a new system. Fisch & Davis should be able to make up ground quickly though by getting the players to learn the "conceptual" part of the offense.

I hope the young receivers are just shaking off some rust. It will be very important for at least two of them to step it up to compliment Decker. That will also help open up the run game.:cool02:

This is to be expected. The Defense will always be ahead of a new offense. But just remember that it doesn't always mean that that's how the fall will go. Remember Spring of '07 was great for the D, and we all know what happened that fall.

I'm really interested to see what our 3 new offensive coaches bring to the table.

I hope Davis gets that oline an attitude. Hopefully they will be nasty. Ripping people's heads off and spitting down their throats. Thats my only hope.

That's probably to be expected. It's much easier to get the defense off to a quick start, especially since the offense is learning a new system. Fisch & Davis should be able to make up ground quickly though by getting the players to learn the "conceptual" part of the offense.

I hope the young receivers are just shaking off some rust. It will be very important for at least two of them to step it up to compliment Decker. That will also help open up the run game.:cool02:

Yeah I'm not surprised either. Just like in baseball, pitchers are always ahead of hitters for the first couple of weeks of spring training.

Gee, we've never heard that coming out of the Gophers' spring camp before. Oh well, at least it's better than "the defense is going to be much improved this year" when invariably the defense ends up where it usually does (poor) or is getting shredded by the end of the season.

I have red flags. Our line was terrible last year, and our defense struggled to get pressure on the Quarterback. I don't think I'll be popping bottles about any news that comes out about our o-line or our d-line.

Someone should make a BINGO board of spring practice buzzwords or phrases we hear every single year.

"Simplifying the defense", "More reacting, less thinking", "Defense ahead of the offense", etc. :p

Someone should make a BINGO board of spring practice buzzwords or phrases we hear every single year.

"Simplifying the defense", "More reacting, less thinking", "Defense ahead of the offense", etc. :p

"Explosive" and "playmaker" are my favorite Brewster words.

Or a drinking game ;)

I can't recall the last time I've heard any coach say the offense was ahead of the defense it seems like lol. The first two days, it would make sense, since offenses usually need some time to gel with each other.

Top Bottom