Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Worth reading again: Gregg Doyel's '07 Tubby column which predicted this outcome

per Doyel in 2007:

Tubby couldn't figure out how to fix it, so now Tubby is gone to Minnesota, and I've got news for the good folks at Minnesota who clearly haven't been paying attention to the details at Kentucky: Unless Tubby changes his ways, he'll flop at Minnesota. I mean, he'll be a complete and total failure.

Tubby was a victim of himself, of his own confidence. He's so good at X's and O's -- and he is really, really good with a clipboard -- that he thought he could hire whoever he wanted for his staff and be able to get it done. And the evidence is overwhelming that he could not.

Tubby has turned his coaching staff into an old boys' club, hiring only cronies. Tubby worked with David Hobbs at VCU in the mid-1980s. He worked with Scott Rigot at South Carolina in the late-80s. He coached Reggie Hanson (as an assistant) at Kentucky in the early 90s.

Clearly the key to working for Tubby isn't your ability. It's having worked with Tubby before. That's the kind of myopic world-view that can get you fired, which is what would have happened at Kentucky as soon as the inevitable NIT season happened, possibly as soon as next season.

Now he's Minnesota's problem. And Tubby will have problems at Minnesota, believe me. I'll hang him with his own words, because a few years back Tubby said something to the Dallas Morning News that should scare the absolute hell out of the state of Minnesota:

"All we promise (potential recruits) is an education and the opportunity to be part of the winningest college basketball program in America," Smith said in March 2005.

At Minnesota, he'll promise recruits an education and the opportunity to be part of one of the worst college basketball programs in the Big Ten.

He'll be fired by 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/10080776

Go Gophers!!
    Last edited by BleedGopher; 02-20-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Only a year late and $2,500,000 short

In fairness, he hasn't been a complete and total failure. There have been some high points and successes.

awesome

5. Default

Whatever happened to FriendOfTubby? He was adamant that everything that Tubby touched at Kentucky turned to gold.

The X's and O's clearly no longer relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Doyel in 2007:

Tubby couldn't figure out how to fix it, so now Tubby is gone to Minnesota, and I've got news for the good folks at Minnesota who clearly haven't been paying attention to the details at Kentucky: Unless Tubby changes his ways, he'll flop at Minnesota. I mean, he'll be a complete and total failure.

Tubby was a victim of himself, of his own confidence. He's so good at X's and O's -- and he is really, really good with a clipboard -- that he thought he could hire whoever he wanted for his staff and be able to get it done. And the evidence is overwhelming that he could not.

Tubby has turned his coaching staff into an old boys' club, hiring only cronies. Tubby worked with David Hobbs at VCU in the mid-1980s. He worked with Scott Rigot at South Carolina in the late-80s. He coached Reggie Hanson (as an assistant) at Kentucky in the early 90s.

Clearly the key to working for Tubby isn't your ability. It's having worked with Tubby before. That's the kind of myopic world-view that can get you fired, which is what would have happened at Kentucky as soon as the inevitable NIT season happened, possibly as soon as next season.

Now he's Minnesota's problem. And Tubby will have problems at Minnesota, believe me. I'll hang him with his own words, because a few years back Tubby said something to the Dallas Morning News that should scare the absolute hell out of the state of Minnesota:

"All we promise (potential recruits) is an education and the opportunity to be part of the winningest college basketball program in America," Smith said in March 2005.

At Minnesota, he'll promise recruits an education and the opportunity to be part of one of the worst college basketball programs in the Big Ten.

He'll be fired by 2012.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...story/10080776

Go Gophers!!
    proof this writer is not all there

You know it's going down hill when: @glen_perkins: count me in for a couples g's RT @ZanattaMike: #TubbyBuyoutFund is at $300 of $2,500,000

Nothing by Gregg Doyel is ever worth reading, regardless of the truth in it. Can't stand that guy.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Hartman View Post
    You know it's going down hill when: @glen_perkins: count me in for a couples g's RT @ZanattaMike: #TubbyBuyoutFund is at $300 of $2,500,000
    Thanks for pouring salt in the wound Glen. I wish I was lefthanded...

It goes to show you how wrong Greg Doyel's predictions really were: Tubby didn't get fired in 2012, he got extended.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMedalCounty View Post
    Thanks for pouring salt in the wound Glen. I wish I was lefthanded...
    Internet tough guy.

13. Default

"a complete and total failure"

What would that be? Here at Minnesota I mean?!

What coach since 1948 has led their team to more than One EOS Top 25 ranking every six years? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?!

How many coaches have gone without garnering a single win in the NCAA tournament?!

Dan Monson? Bill Musselman? Dutchie?

Who has led their team to a win in the NCAA tourney?! Clem? Is he the only one?! Or does winning a consolation game count? Then Dutch might have one, or was that Musselman?

So how bad would a coach have to be to be a "complete and total failure"????

possibly 3 trips to the NCAA tourney? More than any other Gopher coach before him that didn't cheat, and in only 6 years?!

And its 2013.

So he was off just a little bit.

14. Default

And why on earth would the guy consider Minnesota to be one of the worst cbb programs in the Big Ten?!

Quote Originally Posted by #1nHkyCfbBsbDncSolarDebat View Post
    And why on earth would the guy consider Minnesota to be one of the worst cbb programs in the Big Ten?!
    We were the worst Big Ten program in 2007.

16. Default

The recruiting wasn't the problem.

The Star Tribune picked up on this column and thread:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/192187481.html

Go Gophers!!

What coach since 1948 has led their team to more than One EOS Top 25 ranking every six years? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?!

How many coaches have gone without garnering a single win in the NCAA tournament?!

Who has led their team to a win in the NCAA tourney?! Clem? Is he the only one?! Or does winning a consolation game count? Then Dutch might have one, or was that Musselman?

possibly 3 trips to the NCAA tourney? More than any other Gopher coach before him that didn't cheat, and in only 6 years?!

And its 2013.

You just cannot compare NCAA performance between coaches of years ago and today. Dutcher had a championship year (that's novel) and I think 4 other upper divisions finishes in his 11 years in the Big Ten. Musselman was here 4 years and had a championship and 2 other upper division finishes. Tubby has not cracked the upper division and would have NEVER been in the NCAA by the standards Dutcher and Mussleman has to go against.

And its 2013.

Tiresome excuse. How many NCAA tournaments was Wisconsin in prior to 1994? How many have they been to beginning with 1994?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    The Star Tribune picked up on this column and thread:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/192187481.html

Go Gophers!!
    You are famous, Bleed! Howard gave you nice props.