All Things JP Macura Thread UPDATED 7/11: GOPHERS offer JP!

As I've probably mentioned before, one of the writers for the Purdue Rivals website lived on my floor in the dorms back in the day. He eventually was the Sports editor for the school newspaper. Anyways, I still keep in touch with him on occasion and I asked his $0.02 on Macura and he said he just spoke to Macura's dad this weekend and it appears a decision will happen very soon. It's between Xavier, Minnesota, Purdue, Creighton, and Iowa State - which probably isn't news to anyone. That being said, he doesn't think Creighton or Iowa State are a factor. He fully expects Macura to pick Minnesota but Purdue and Xavier are right there. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Honestly, Purdue already has a very similar player locked up for 2014 (Dakota Mathias) so I'm hoping Painter uses that scholly to address a bigger need.

Good info. Thanks, Boiler.

Not picking on J.P. and not trying to take this off-topic, but has there ever been a recruit in the history of basketball that has said on record that he wants to "ride the bench awhile and learn from older players"? It's like the new go-to answer for "what's the number one factor going into in your decision": 1) make an immediate impact, somewhere i can step right in, etc, etc.

Just a meaningless observation.

Not picking on J.P. and not trying to take this off-topic, but has there ever been a recruit in the history of basketball that has said on record that he wants to "ride the bench awhile and learn from older players"? It's like the new go-to answer for "what's the number one factor going into in your decision": 1) make an immediate impact, somewhere i can step right in, etc, etc.

Just a meaningless observation.

furthermore, has there ever been a recruit in the last 10 years that came out and just made a decision because of hometown (state) loyalty without playing the whole waiting game? I can honestly say if i would have been good enough to play for UM, i would have told them the day i got their offer. This little game that players play now really gets old. Basically they like the attention at first and just cant get enough of the "loved" feeling but then after a while it starts to get old and they commit somewhere to get everyone off their backs. U of M offers some of the most prestigeous degrees in several professions, no need to look elsewhere. Besides if your worried about getting the attention and exposure, then get your butt out there and show it on the court. The media will find you (i.e Jimmer Fredette). Some of these players that go to Duke, KU, Kentucky, UNC, etc do it in part for the exposure and i suspect to make their road (to the NBA) easier by having their games televised continuously. Just seems like there is very little true loyalty anymore. We have a new era in Golden Gopher Basketball, you would think the big 3/4 would want to stay home and put this program on the map. Then look back and shine their knuckles on their achievements!

furthermore, has there ever been a recruit in the last 10 years that came out and just made a decision because of hometown (state) loyalty without playing the whole waiting game? I can honestly say if i would have been good enough to play for UM, i would have told them the day i got their offer. This little game that players play now really gets old. Basically they like the attention at first and just cant get enough of the "loved" feeling but then after a while it starts to get old and they commit somewhere to get everyone off their backs. U of M offers some of the most prestigeous degrees in several professions, no need to look elsewhere. Besides if your worried about getting the attention and exposure, then get your butt out there and show it on the court. The media will find you (i.e Jimmer Fredette). Some of these players that go to Duke, KU, Kentucky, UNC, etc do it in part for the exposure and i suspect to make their road (to the NBA) easier by having their games televised continuously. Just seems like there is very little true loyalty anymore. We have a new era in Golden Gopher Basketball, you would think the big 3/4 would want to stay home and put this program on the map. Then look back and shine their knuckles on their achievements!

Or.....maybe he gets one shot at this college thing and (gasp) might actually want to try something else. We all want to see the big 3/4 play here, but none of us on this board were tethered by "loyalty" to his/her state when we made our college choices. Why should JP be any different and be obligated to play here? He owes it to himself to go to the best college for him. He very well might make the decision to stay at the University, but I won't fault him if he doesn't.

Or.....maybe he gets one shot at this college thing and (gasp) might actually want to try something else. We all want to see the big 3/4 play here, but none of us on this board were tethered by "loyalty" to his/her state when we made our college choices. Why should JP be any different and be obligated to play here? He owes it to himself to go to the best college for him. He very well might make the decision to stay at the University, but I won't fault him if he doesn't.

Yeah, i know but if their talking about going to a school where they can make an immediate impact or play right away then in my mind their looking more at the sport then the education based on the comment. Im not stating that education is not an important decision to him or any others but based on basketball alone, I just wish there was more loyalty to our U. If they dont really care for the U then i understand. But to grow up in MN and continuously get kicked in the bodanglies sport after sport, it would be amazing to have some of our own home grown kids stay and show the nation the talent that we can put together without looking too far. Guess more wishful thinking then anything on my part.

+1

furthermore, has there ever been a recruit in the last 10 years that came out and just made a decision because of hometown (state) loyalty without playing the whole waiting game?!

There have been many.

Royce White (sorry to bring the name up) was the last early commit we've had from in state. Committed in April of his junior year. Hoping JP commits to Gophers in the coming weeks!

Guess there is some loyalty! Sounds like a good student athlete in it for the right reasons

Baylor adds fast-rising SF Mark Vital
September, 4, 2013
Sep 48:35AM ETBy Reggie Rankin | ESPN.com Recommend0Tweet0Comments0EmailPrintThe Baylor Bears are on the board in the class of 2016 with SF Mark Vital (Lake Charles, LA/Washington-Marion). The on-the-cuff ESPN25 player chose the Bears over a combination of early interest and offers from Ohio State, Arizona, LSU and Tulane among others.

"I unofficially visited Baylor about three weeks ago. It is a great Christian school with great academics and a family atmosphere. I love Coach Scott Drew's personality. He is a really cool dude.” Vital said.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Vital is a very athletic small forward that is a highlight waiting to happen on the break. He finishes lobs in traffic and power dunks on all clear paths to the rim. Vital is a powerful straight line driver that can finish through contact or draws the foul and is a huge problem on the offensive glass. He is a pretty good mid-range shooter off the catch as well. Vital already has a college-ready body and tremendous upside.

Vital was terrific in June at the Super Soph Camp in Atlanta and has a bright future with the talent and ability to contribute right away when he arrives in Waco in a few years.

The Bears have made a huge statement with this early pledge because Vital was a hot recruiting target for many high major programs heading into the upcoming high school season.

Macura will not be visiting Iowa State. Good news.

Yep, it sounds like he'll make a decision within the next few weeks.

Yeah he said that a few days ago. I was hoping since he just cancelled his ISU visit (I think it would have been the 14th) that it might be even a little sooner.

Please don't tell me Duke has now offered JP as well ;)

With respect, can you name a few? I am curious, not doubtful.

Joe Coleman, Rodney & Royce. You can look at football, too: Nelson, Maxx, Freuchte (sp?), Stelter, Jeff Jones, etc. all committed knowing that they would have probably picked up bigger and better offers later.

Joe Coleman, Rodney & Royce. You can look at football, too: Nelson, Maxx, Freuchte (sp?), Stelter, Jeff Jones, etc. all committed knowing that they would have probably picked up bigger and better offers later.
Mostly bad examples. I remember Joe visiting Santa Clara late in the recruiting process. Jones I hope is a solid commit. Freuchte a jc kid.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just made the best decision of my life!!! Officially committed to XAVIER&#55356;&#57280;</p>— JP Macura (@jpmacura) <a href="https://twitter.com/jpmacura/statuses/377277065000546304">September 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Winners don't congratulate those who spurn them that's why we're stereotyped as Minnesota nice. I won't wish ill on him, but as far as I'm concerned JP no longer matters as he doesn't want to be here and he shouldn't to any of you.

wow, damn, that sucks. We might wanna start landing some players from 2014 or we're going to be looking down a lot further than most of us expected too (in terms of recruits). Almost every guy we have left on that original long, long, list we started with has either committed or is an elite recruit with offers from everywhere.

On the bright side, anyone who only gets their Gophers info from Amelia Rayno wont get this news for another 2 weeks.

Update / Correction: I am shocked to say this, but Amelia has already posted an article about it (the news came after many others already posted it elsewhere), Good job Amelia :).

Top Bottom