All Things Daily RPI Updates Thread

Reaction score
DOWN GOES BELMONT!!! This helps our RPI for sure

Minnesota beats Wisconsin - definitely an RPI boost.

Ohio State beats Nthwstrn - This isn't horrible for us, might give us a better chance for a bigger upset, or make the loss to them not look so bad, but we played NW twice, so had they held on and upset OSU, that would have helped our RPI and resume. Also, would have moved NW back up into the Top 100 making our loss to them no longer a bad loss.

Tenn St BEATS BELMONT!!!!!! This is a huge win for TSU, and not only does it help our RPI, but it hurts Belmont's, and that is good, because Belmont was a team whose RPI was SO GOOD, that they could have gone without winning their Conf Tournament and gotten in as an at large team. Could still happen, but losing to TSU will hurt. In this moment, its a bad loss, but after the RPI is adjusted, TSU could move up into the Top 100, which will help our resume. And if they drop back out of the Top 100, well, the silver lining is that will hurt Belmont's resume. If the win over Wisconsin gives us bad our mojo, it will not matter, but until I see we have our mojo back, I'm going to assume we need and will be happy with any outside help we get.

Biggest RPI/Resume helps for the Gophers today were

Lafayette(13-14) beating (21-5) Bucknell. Very good for the RPI & SOS as well.

S Dak St beating a very tough Western Illinois squad who beat NDSU the other day. Very good for the RPI & SOS.

Indiana who we play twice beat Purdue who we play once, always helps.

Florida St wins

Richmond wins

Toledo wins

Memphis wins which they need to keep doing playing cusa teams. Need them to stay in Top 25 of RPI. They have become a true SIGNATURE WIN.

Mich St beats Nebraska - didn't matter RPI wise much who won, but MSU's one of our SIGNATURE WINS, so it'll be nice if they just keep on winning.

N Dak St wins

And the bad news, Stanford loses to UCLA. The silver lining is that UCLA's got a good record so it won't hurt the RPI that much.

Also, Duke losing hurts because having them as a Top 5 that we lost to helps our image. Silver lining with any ACC team that we beat that loses, is that they just lose to another ACC team that another Big Ten team either beat or lost to, so it helps UMn more if they win, but it doesn't hurt as much when they lose as it would with some other teams.

Not a bad day, 9 favorable wins to 2 losses, when only 7 or 8 of the teams were favored going in.

As for other games of interest, well

Connecticut losing helps us.
Notre Dame losing helps us.
Kentucky losing helps us.
Missouri losing helps us.
Rutgers losing helps us.
Colorado losing helps us.

All of those teams got beat by lesser rated teams that are not even on the bubble yet.

Now lets do what helps our RPI and resume the most, BEAT IOWA!!! Go Gophers!!!

This made my head spin. Although it appears you know your stuff when it comes to RPI.

From the Barn --

Apparently some posters appreciate my posts. If you don't, then guess what, this is America, you have the freedom to NOT READ THEM.

And in case you haven't a brain in your head and hence the ability to figure this out, some people, myself included, do not respond well to being told what to do, so go ahead, keep telling me to stop posting and I'll just post twice as much just to spite you!!!

I do, on the otherhand, respond positively to people who are NICE.

I agree don't waste your energy opening the thread if you don't want to read it

It certainly makes Gopher Hole more attractive to me to not have to go through 200 post on a thread to find some interesting information. This is a very interesting thread that I would have missed had it been buried somewhere. I wish I understood what the big deal is about starting new threads. Must be an inside thing.

It certainly makes Gopher Hole more attractive to me to not have to go through 200 post on a thread to find some interesting information. This is a very interesting thread that I would have missed had it been buried somewhere. I wish I understood what the big deal is about starting new threads. Must be an inside thing.

+1 agreed. Good info. Appreciate it.

Even though I kiddingly josh #alphabet about his lengthy posts, some of which are too lengthy for what he is saying (and those I choose not to read), when he does post something of substance I do read and enjoy it.

Mattw1067--

What does it matter what my age is?!

I will give you some clues. My father's birth ushered in the GOLDEN AGE of Gopher Fb. My birth ushered in the DARK AGES of Gopher Fb.

Do you want to know my educational background? My military experience? My job experience? You going to offer me a job mattw1067?? lol

Thanks for the info. But I will reiterate an earlier comment I made. We play in the toughest conference in basketball, and if we hope to earn a high seed that gives us a shot to really go on a run, then we will be judged by how we perform against the top-level competition in B1G play.

In our of conference, all of the big conference teams play a lot of teams that are worse than they are and they are expected to win. We had a strong out of conference slate, but for the most part, that means we played against teams that we were expected to win against, just less favored then what a lot of other teams played. Their performance matters if we are sitting on the bubble, but if we want one of the really good seeds (5, 4, maybe even 3?) we need to win the four we should, and steal either Indiana or OSU and I don't think an impressive upset by Toledo is going to do much for us.

The fact that he posts lafayette scores indicates he does not know how the RPI works or how the selection committee uses the RPI.

From the Barn --

Apparently some posters appreciate my posts. If you don't, then guess what, this is America, you have the freedom to NOT READ THEM.

And in case you haven't a brain in your head and hence the ability to figure this out, some people, myself included, do not respond well to being told what to do, so go ahead, keep telling me to stop posting and I'll just post twice as much just to spite you!!!

I do, on the otherhand, respond positively to people who are NICE.

This dude is hilarious. He posts this and in another thread he tells people to tone down their negativity. Guess he thinks people should respond well when he tells them what to do.

This dude is hilarious. He posts this and in another thread he tells people to tone down their negativity. Guess he thinks people should respond well when he tells them what to do.

Alphabet Soup appears to have a very high opinion of himself.

Hope I said that nicely.

Biggest RPI/Resume helps for the Gophers today were

Lafayette(13-14) beating (21-5) Bucknell. Very good for the RPI & SOS as well.

S Dak St beating a very tough Western Illinois squad who beat NDSU the other day. Very good for the RPI & SOS.

Indiana who we play twice beat Purdue who we play once, always helps.

Florida St wins

Richmond wins

Toledo wins

Memphis wins which they need to keep doing playing cusa teams. Need them to stay in Top 25 of RPI. They have become a true SIGNATURE WIN.

Mich St beats Nebraska - didn't matter RPI wise much who won, but MSU's one of our SIGNATURE WINS, so it'll be nice if they just keep on winning.

N Dak St wins

And the bad news, Stanford loses to UCLA. The silver lining is that UCLA's got a good record so it won't hurt the RPI that much.

Also, Duke losing hurts because having them as a Top 5 that we lost to helps our image. Silver lining with any ACC team that we beat that loses, is that they just lose to another ACC team that another Big Ten team either beat or lost to, so it helps UMn more if they win, but it doesn't hurt as much when they lose as it would with some other teams.

Not a bad day, 9 favorable wins to 2 losses, when only 7 or 8 of the teams were favored going in.

As for other games of interest, well

Connecticut losing helps us.
Notre Dame losing helps us.
Kentucky losing helps us.
Missouri losing helps us.
Rutgers losing helps us.
Colorado losing helps us.

All of those teams got beat by lesser rated teams that are not even on the bubble yet.

Now lets do what helps our RPI and resume the most, BEAT IOWA!!! Go Gophers!!!

Isn't UCONN ineligible for postseason play this year anyway?

Thanks for the info. But I will reiterate an earlier comment I made. We play in the toughest conference in basketball, and if we hope to earn a high seed that gives us a shot to really go on a run, then we will be judged by how we perform against the top-level competition in B1G play.

In our of conference, all of the big conference teams play a lot of teams that are worse than they are and they are expected to win. We had a strong out of conference slate, but for the most part, that means we played against teams that we were expected to win against, just less favored then what a lot of other teams played. Their performance matters if we are sitting on the bubble, but if we want one of the really good seeds (5, 4, maybe even 3?) we need to win the four we should, and steal either Indiana or OSU and I don't think an impressive upset by Toledo is going to do much for us.

By the way I was watching the UNLV game last night and they said that the Mountain West had the best RPI of any conference. How is that possible? I think it's an underrated conference but by no means do I think it's better than the Big Ten.

From the Barn --

Honestly?! You honestly are claiming that my posting Lafayette scores nullifies any claim I make about knowing how the RPI works??? lol WOW. Are you sure that YOU know how it works?!

As for toning down the negativity, I was referring to people coming in here, and INITIATING it.

If some poster rips into another poster for no good reason, I'm all for the poster who got ripped into, going negative, if they feel like doing so, because the INITIATOR is asking for it. I don't always choose to go negative when posters rip on me, in fact, more often than not I respond with reason, or with humor to try to lighten the mood.

But guess what, I'm a human being, and fallible, and susceptible to wanting to rip back on occasion. So I did in this instance when I was ripped into for no good reason.

station --

Should I what? Have a low opinion of myself instead?!

And Cause and effect Station. Remember I said, Cause and effect. I could care less in the grand scheme of things if you post negative sh1t or if you rip on me or if you blow bubbles up your butt. If you want people to listen to your negative comments about Tubby, its simple 1+1=2 equation, tone down your message and maybe they'll listen. Go all negative and they will be encouraged to respond with a counterargument.

Want me to do something, ask nicely. Want me to do the opposite, then DEMAND that I do something. Simple cause and effect, bro.

OK, Sunday's are always lighter than Saturday's, but not so much for the Gopher's as we seem to always play on Sunday as do some of our former opponents.

Was ready to post that USC had beaten Cal, they were well ahead with 7 minutes left, but Cal came back and stole the game.

Otherwise, it wasn't a bad day, other than, of course, the Gophers losing to Iowa.

Michigan beat PSU, we play them each once, so it was better the signature team won.

American won

Wisconsin whom we play twice, pummeling OSU whom we play once, was a big plus. Might damage OSU's psyche enough to make them vulnerable?! We hope?!

Illinois beating NW? Well, it might help Illinois to get into the Top 25, making them a signature win? Doesn't help NW move up into the Top 100 and not be a bad loss anymore, though.

And Southern Cal losing is not a good thing. Had they held on, and they had a 15 pt lead at one point, it would have helped alot. Might not hurt their RPI though?

Other games of note?

Wichita St pulled out a close one, winning by 1 pt. Wouldn't have hurt for them to lose.
Miami pulled out a close one as well, winning by 2 pts. They are a bit out of reach for us, but still an interesting result.
Arizona pulls out a close one, too, winning by 4 pts vs an 11-14 Utah team that would have sent them down quite a few notches had they lost. Makes the Pac-10 look pretty week.

Looking ahead to our next 2 games. Losing them should not damage our RPI too much, since they are both teams with really good records, and some wins over teams with good records. A win over OSU could put OSU into a tailspin, much like we are suffering, and Illinois suffered earlier. A loss to OSU could help them get back on track which they'll need with a pretty tough scedule ahead of them the rest of the way out. A win over Indiana would be a huge signature win. And its a home game, so you never know?!

Just can't let losses to really good quality teams get them down, like it does to so many of the fans.

Biggest RPI movement after Sunday's games was of course, our gift to the Hawkeyes. They moved up to #80 in the RPI.

Iowa's also Top 30 in the Ken-Pom and Top 35 in the Sagarin Ratings.

If they can finish out strong, they could conceivably get into the Big Dance. I think the entire cbb world is ok with the idea of 8 teams from the Big Ten getting in. In fact, I've read a couple posts by fans of other conferences mention the Big Ten getting 8, and that was before Iowa beat us. So its almost like they just assume the Big Ten is so good, we have to get 8 in, regardless of something like Iowa having a #93 RPI rating before they beat us?

Wisconsin is up to #26. Illinois is up to #30. That gives us 4 Top 30 RPI wins.

Our next two opponents are #12 and #28 in the RPI. With the game vs #28 being a road game.

By this time next week, we could have TEN games under our belts vs Top 25 teams, including 3 wins, and that's if we lose to both OSU and Indiana.

A 3-7 record vs Top 25 teams?! WOW. And depending on how Illinois does, it could possibly be 12 games, and a 4-8 record.

Top Bottom