Better Dead Than Red! Post game notes after big win from Tubby, Rodney, Andre,Joe...

GopherLady

Reaction score
As always, these are my rough notes, typing live as they talk...Go Gophers!

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/226692?referrer_id=388419

Joe Coleman:

We wanted to limit him from shooting

On having the Badgers go 8:48 without a point- we focused in and made them take tough shots

We focus on defense every game, we zoned in on the 3s

(On his mindset at the end of regulation) Tried to score, shot clock was running down, be aggressive and try to get to the line.

(On taking those big FT's) I wasn't nervous, I've been on that situation before, just like against IU last year.

Austin Hollins

We weren't making many shots in the 1st half, we knew we had to come our harder

Stay aggressive and stay focus

We just buckled down and do what we were taught the last 5 of regulation

It feels great, especially against Wisconsin

We had a lot of heart tonight, we never have up, we knew it was going to be a dogfight

We knew how big this was.

Andre Hollins:

I did blow a kiss after I hit that 3. This was huge for us. We had been killing ourselves. Huge with a rivalry game

(On his lunch meeting with Tubby yesterday) Wanted to get some clarity to what he wanted, great to be closer to coach like that. We talked about what kind of shots we want, how we want to move the ball.

My teammates did a great job drawing screens for me. I had to put the ball up, I trust my teams to get the rebound.

It was a valentines day kiss to the fans. (On hitting that huge 3).

This time we roughed it out mentally, Joe made huge free throws down the stretch.

We knew we had to buckle down defensively, in the 1st half, we let them dictate and get too many looks.

Like coach said...just play ball, he said he didn't care if we had 50 turnovers, as long as we win.

Rodney Williams

We had the positivity in the locker room.

The mood was high yesterday, coach is trying to keep us positive at all times.

I had a bit of a battle with the shoulder, but I really can't worry about that. There's pain when I bring it up too fast.

Before the game, I took something, and ibuprofen at halftime.

This is real good for me, I've only beaten Wisconsin one time since I've been here.

Everyone stayed positive, the guys on the bench, the great crowd.

The Barnyard was great, loud when we needed them. Quiet when we needed to shoot free throws, they were a great 6th man.

Tubby Smith:
• Even though we didn't shoot the ball well the entire game, we forced them into some tough shots.
• We've got a guy like Joe Coleman who really stepped up, drove the ball to the basket, and made clutch FT's.
• It was an all around team effort, Austin carried us early. We did a better job than we have all year round of taking care of the ball.
• We knew we weren't going to have that many possessions in a game like this. We talked about how to simplify things . Dre's been calling a lot of plays. I wanted him to get out and run more, because everyone focuses on him because he's our best scorer. He's asked to do a lot. Defend the other teams quickest player. That's what that was about.
• We'd gotten away from playing good defense, I don't know why. We've been working on it. It's a combination of things. Our ball pressure hadn't been very good. Just a team concept of being in the right spot. At halftime we talked about not giving up any easy baskets, and we did a better job in the 2nd half.
• He looked like he was favoring his shoulder, I kept asking if he was ok. He was still sore, but Rodney is one of those kids for 4 years, he's been able to bounce back, he's very durable.
• Just like the loss the other day to IL, when it becomes a late game possession, you've got to execute, and tonight we delivered. Some nights, we don't. We feel confident playing any style. You're just not going to be able to force the pace against Bo Ryan's teams. They're deliberate, patient, fundamentally sound.
• They put 28 3's up, that's a lot of 3's. We shot 17. We did a better job 2nd half of challenging the 3 point shot.
• I told Joe in the last timeout, make sure you attack the basket, don't be passive, be aggressive. We ran a play that broke down, they did a good job of taking out some things, WI is the #1 defensive team in the league. Joe saw an opening. When Joe Coleman plays well, we're a different team. He had his hands full tonight. He has to overachieve, because his opponents are usually bigger than him. We wanted him to duplicate the win we had against IL.
• What does this victory do for you? We're back to .500, the sky was falling around here. Sometimes when the sky is falling, you think the ceiling is going to cave in on you.
• They wanted it, but we had to have it.
• I think this will be a big boost to us. We're not a dog, by any means. We've got some guys that overachieve. Trevor Mbakwe is playing center at 6'7", coming off knee surgery, you can't find a guy with more heart. WI is probably bigger than us at every position.
• This is the best league in college bball, and you have to execute to get a win, almost perfectly.

Great win! Hopefully this re-energizes us. If we can win the ones we should (Iowa, Nebraska, PSU, Purdue) and grab one of the tough ones (OSU, Indiana), we have a solid chance to finish this thing at 11-7. Before this one, I was afraid that a loss would keep our skid going and we would struggle to get to .500.

Keeping the Wolf from Pulp Fiction in mind, I hope our boys don't start sucking each others d$cks just yet, but if we can build on this win, it could be a season changer.

Joe Coleman:

On having the Badgers go 8:48 without a point- we focused in and made them take tough shots

(On his mindset at the end of regulation) Tried to score, shot clock was running down, be aggressive and try to get to the line.

(On taking those big FT's) I wasn't nervous, I've been on that situation before, just like against IU last year.

Austin Hollins

We had a lot of heart tonight, we never have up, we knew it was going to be a dogfight

Andre Hollins:

I did blow a kiss after I hit that 3. This was huge for us. We had been killing ourselves. Huge with a rivalry game

(On his lunch meeting with Tubby yesterday) Wanted to get some clarity to what he wanted, great to be closer to coach like that. We talked about what kind of shots we want, how we want to move the ball.

My teammates did a great job drawing screens for me. I had to put the ball up, I trust my teams to get the rebound.

This time we roughed it out mentally, Joe made huge free throws down the stretch.

We knew we had to buckle down defensively, in the 1st half, we let them dictate and get too many looks.

Like coach said...just play ball, he said he didn't care if we had 50 turnovers, as long as we win.

Rodney Williams

I had a bit of a battle with the shoulder, but I really can't worry about that. There's pain when I bring it up too fast.

This is real good for me, I've only beaten Wisconsin one time since I've been here.

The Barnyard was great, loud when we needed them. Quiet when we needed to shoot free throws, they were a great 6th man.

Tubby Smith:
• Even though we didn't shoot the ball well the entire game, we forced them into some tough shots.
• We've got a guy like Joe Coleman who really stepped up, drove the ball to the basket, and made clutch FT's.
• It was an all around team effort, Austin carried us early. We did a better job than we have all year round of taking care of the ball.
• We knew we weren't going to have that many possessions in a game like this. We talked about how to simplify things . Dre's been calling a lot of plays. I wanted him to get out and run more, because everyone focuses on him because he's our best scorer. He's asked to do a lot. Defend the other teams quickest player. That's what that was about.
• We'd gotten away from playing good defense, I don't know why. We've been working on it. It's a combination of things. Our ball pressure hadn't been very good. Just a team concept of being in the right spot. At halftime we talked about not giving up any easy baskets, and we did a better job in the 2nd half.
• He looked like he was favoring his shoulder, I kept asking if he was ok. He was still sore, but Rodney is one of those kids for 4 years, he's been able to bounce back, he's very durable.
• Just like the loss the other day to IL, when it becomes a late game possession, you've got to execute, and tonight we delivered. Some nights, we don't. We feel confident playing any style. You're just not going to be able to force the pace against Bo Ryan's teams. They're deliberate, patient, fundamentally sound.
• They put 28 3's up, that's a lot of 3's. We shot 17. We did a better job 2nd half of challenging the 3 point shot.
• I told Joe in the last timeout, make sure you attack the basket, don't be passive, be aggressive. We ran a play that broke down, they did a good job of taking out some things, WI is the #1 defensive team in the league. Joe saw an opening. When Joe Coleman plays well, we're a different team. He had his hands full tonight. He has to overachieve, because his opponents are usually bigger than him. We wanted him to duplicate the win we had against IL.
• What does this victory do for you? We're back to .500, the sky was falling around here. Sometimes when the sky is falling, you think the ceiling is going to cave in on you.
• I think this will be a big boost to us. We're not a dog, by any means. We've got some guys that overachieve. Trevor Mbakwe is playing center at 6'7", coming off knee surgery, you can't find a guy with more heart. WI is probably bigger than us at every position.
• This is the best league in college bball, and you have to execute to get a win, almost perfectly.

Great job GL. I like the attitude of this team. The quotes about Hollins and Tubby having lunch to chat about strategy and expecations, the positive mood, the coach keeping kids heads up.. all good to hear. The season ain't over yet. :)

Joe Coleman:

Austin Hollins

Andre Hollins:

Rodney Williams

Tubby Smith:

Thanks for those notes there. My hat is off to Tubby for a few things I heard there-

Lunch with Andre Hollins- great move getting on the same page with your leader
Telling them you don't care if they have 50 turnovers as long as they win- love that. That's the right medicine at this moment. Just play.

Good for Tubby - maybe this club will begin to loosen up and start hitting shots and having fun.

I found the 50 turnovers comment interesting. I've thought for a while now that Tubby doesn't punish his players for turnovers like Bo Ryan does because he's afraid of them playing tentative. Seems like he'd rather take his chances with his players making mistakes 100 MPH instead of thinking too much or being scared to F up.

I found the 50 turnovers comment interesting. I've thought for a while now that Tubby doesn't punish his players for turnovers like Bo Ryan does because he's afraid of them playing tentative. Seems like he'd rather take his chances with his players making mistakes 100 MPH instead of thinking too much or being scared to F up.

Actually, I'm thinking Tubby has been hounding on the turnovers so heavily that the guys stopped playing aggressively. I think this comment is a realization of that by Tubby and that's good if true. This is a team that has actually gotten worse as its turnovers went down. They have been playing slower and slower. Tonight - though it was still a struggle-looked a little better.

No talk of the bench tonight. I thought Ingram was pretty awesome in the little bit he played. Thanks for the notes as always.

Definitely agree there. We had stopped being aggressive like we were earlier in the yr. It's just the careless turnovers that are frustrating. If a guy is driving the lane and a defender makes a good play to strip the ball, we'll live with that. It's the lazy passes to the top of the key that are killers. I think Tubby actually usually does the opposite of what Madtown said. He's known for punishing players for making dumb mistakes (history of subbing them right away).

Actually, I'm thinking Tubby has been hounding on the turnovers so heavily that the guys stopped playing aggressively. I think this comment is a realization of that by Tubby and that's good if true. This is a team that has actually gotten worse as its turnovers went down. They have been playing slower and slower. Tonight - though it was still a struggle-looked a little better.

No talk of the bench tonight. I thought Ingram was pretty awesome in the little bit he played. Thanks for the notes as always.

Ingram is always a top notch defender. It's too bad he isn't even mediocre on offense. Always fine with him getting decent playing time other than at the end of a tight game. Probably my favorite bench guy.

Andre Hollins played 43 minutes tonight and had 0 turnovers. Only the second time all season.

Andre Hollins played 43 minutes tonight and had 0 turnovers. Only the second time all season.

Good stat, for sure. On the "In Game Thread" TcGopher only used the fkh term 43 times for 0 reasons.

At least he knows his offensive limitations and doesn't take many low percentage shots. Plus, he sets a ton of screens, takes charges, and always plays hard. I'll take that as a very minor role player. The only time I get pissed is when he misses dunks.

Ingram is always a top notch defender. It's too bad he isn't even mediocre on offense. Always fine with him getting decent playing time other than at the end of a tight game. Probably my favorite bench guy.

http://bcove.me/mg43mchb

Nice clip of Dre talking post game, including comments about it being nice to be close to the coach, thus being able to communicate what is needed. This is great to hear.. for us, for Dre, for Tubby, for recruits...

Top Bottom