Official 2013 Gophers Football Signing Day Thread: Links, Tweets, Quotes, Analysis

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's have at it Gophers fans!!!!! Today the program welcomes 25+ new signed and preferred walk-on Gophers!!

The day will be filled with updates, tweets, links, quotes, analysis and tons more. Let's fill this thread with every big story and little gem or tweet we can find so all of us die-hards can soak in the 2013 Signing Day!

And here's a video to whet your appetite until the updates start piling up.

STrib: U recruiting: No. 12 with a bullet

Though the Gophers' incoming class is ranked last in the 12-team Big Ten, analysts see an upward swing in the talent level.

"It reminds me an awful lot of how Northern Illinois recruited," said Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network. "There are a lot of very good athletes that fit Jerry Kill's style of play."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/189933871.html

Go Gophers!!

Chip Scoggins: Minnesota's football talent deficit is felt at the U

One thing is certain, though. The Gophers will struggle to win at a high level -- or do so consistently -- unless or until high school football in this state starts producing more legitimate Division I talent.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/189935971.html

Go Gophers!!

One thing is certain, though. The Gophers will struggle to win at a high level -- or do so consistently -- unless or until high school football in this state starts producing more legitimate Division I talent.

Go Gophers!!

Chip, who are the 6 MN kids that received offers? There were only 4.

My apologies to the site admin(s), but this is going to be me at the office, starting very early:

2074yu4sw2.gif

Besides Gopherhole of course.....where is the best Blog or ticker running for recruit signings?

Go Gophers!!

At the end, Chip should have said 'one instate recruit with a scholarship', as we have quite a few PWO's who are committing. But, that certainly wouldn't go with the narrative of his article. :rolleyes:

Is Sid going to be on the webcam accepting faxed in letters of intent? Take that Alabama!

I'm so pissed I couldn't get out of work tomorrow for the Social. This is like my Christmas for college football. Love seeing the future!

Go Gophers!!

I see what Chip is trying to do here, but I think this article is a bit of a miss.

I hate to bring them up, but Wisconsin has won on a regular basis with really similar in-state talent. We had terrific talent in state last year and we will have a ton in the state next season. This season is low, so if his point is that we can't win a lot with instate talent as low as it is THIS year, he might have a point. If he's saying that we can't win regularily with MN's talent where it is generally, he's dead wrong.

We need to get to a point where we are getting the majority of our better homegrown players and continue to recruit out-state well.

Next season, if we recruit as well instate as we did in 2011 and we recruit as well out of MN as we did this year, we'll have a terrific class.

Chip fell for something pretty cheap and I think he did it on purpose for the clicks. He is making it out like this season's instate talent is the norm and it's not. He's been covering sports long enough to know. But the lack of instate recruits will sell to the local casual fan.

I see what Chip is trying to do here, but I think this article is a bit of a miss.

I hate to bring them up, but Wisconsin has won on a regular basis with really similar in-state talent. We had terrific talent in state last year and we will have a ton in the state next season. This season is low, so if his point is that we can't win a lot with instate talent as low as it is THIS year, he might have a point. If he's saying that we can't win regularily with MN's talent where it is generally, he's dead wrong.

We need to get to a point where we are getting the majority of our better homegrown players and continue to recruit out-state well.

Next season, if we recruit as well instate as we did in 2011 and we recruit as well out of MN as we did this year, we'll have a terrific class.

Chip fell for something pretty cheap and I think he did it on purpose for the clicks. He is making it out like this season's instate talent is the norm and it's not. He's been covering sports long enough to know. But the lack of instate recruits will sell to the local casual fan. [B/].

Yes! Exactly my thoughts!

and...one of my favorite fan-made Gopher videos:

I'll post bio info on each recruit as it becomes officially available from GopherSports.

Chris Streveler - QB | 6-2 | 205 | Crystal Lake, Ill. | Marian Central Catholic HS

Enrolled at the University of Minnesota in January
Earned a three-star ranking from Rivals.com and a two-star ranking from Scout.com
Ranked the No. 38 dual-threat quarterback in the country according to ESPN
Listed as the No. 40 prospect in Illinois.
Named conference and area Player of the Year in 2011 and 2012
Was a first-team all-state selection in 2012 and recognized as Academic All-State in 2011-12
Completed 68.8% of his passes for 2,662 yards, 26 TDs and just four interceptions in 2012
Rushed for 1,276 yards and 22 touchdowns in 12 games as a senior
Threw for 2,456 yards and 26 touchdowns as a junior
Coached by Ed Brucker

Go Gophers!!

Damien Wilson - LB | 6-2 | 245 | Gloster, Miss. | Jones County J.C.

Enrolled and started classes in January
Will have two years of eligibility at Minnesota
Led the Mississippi Association of Community & Junior Colleges and was fourth in the nation
with 122 tackles (76 solo) as a sophomore
Posted six tackles-for-loss, two sacks and two pass breakups
Named Most Valuable Defensive Player for Region 23,
Named the MACJC’s South Division Most Valuable Defensive Back
All-MACJC South Division first-team and All-Region 23 honoree
Recognized as the national Defensive Player of the Year by NationalUnderslassmen.com
Coached by Ray Perkins
Transferred to JCJC from Alcorn State University prior to his sophomore year.

Go Gohers!!

@GopherFootball: Football parking lot is packed this morning. Fax machine is turned on and ready to roll. #SigningDay #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Looks like their live blog is up and running.

Top Bottom