VERY good night 4 Gopher's RPI ranking! USC upsets UCLA, Stanford upsets Oregon, etc

Reaction score
USC scores a huge upset over UCLA & Stanford scores a very big upset over Oregon. Florida St scores a big upset over Maryland.

All 3 teams winning helps, but playing 3 quality opponents with very good records helps even more.

Memphis also wins
Lafayette also wins
Toledo also wins

So 6 wins and only 2 losses, when only 2 teams were clearly favorites.

American actually helped simply by playing Bucknell, and they came 1 pt away from scoring the biggest upset of the day. Temple lost but it was a road game and they were the underdog.

So this should help the Gopher's RPI and long term Resume.

USC scores a huge upset over UCLA & Stanford scores a very big upset over Oregon. Florida St scores a big upset over Maryland.

All 3 teams winning helps, but playing 3 quality opponents with very good records helps even more.

Memphis also wins
Lafayette also wins
Toledo also wins

So 6 wins and only 2 losses, when only 2 teams were clearly favorites.

American actually helped simply by playing Bucknell, and they came 1 pt away from scoring the biggest upset of the day. Temple lost but it was a road game and they were the underdog.

So this should help the Gopher's RPI and long term Resume.

Not that it matters, but I think you mean Richmond lost (to Temple).

You're correct, our RPI SOS has been outstanding and last night continues to help it.

Here's to hoping Stanford and Florida State can keep it up and crack the top 50!

These wins are definitely good for us, but at the end of the day, we are in a tough enough conference, I don't think we need to be scoreboard watching too much. If we finish strong and in the top tier of the B1G, or RPI will take care of itself and we will have a great resume. If we end up in the .500 range, we will still be thought of as a middle of the pack conference team on Selection Sunday, and we will end up with a lower seed than our RPI might suggest. If we want the good seed, we need to take care of business these next 10 games, and grab a few more wins against the cream of the conference crop.

Gophers Snapshot and Other RPI Stuff

Through games played Wednesday.

Of some note, Florida State is closing in on the RPI top 50 and gets to host #1 Duke this weekend. Also, USC is approaching the top 100, and the Trojans have a pair of manageable home games next week (Wazzu and Washington).

Gophers Snapshot
Record: 16-5
RPI: #10
Record vs. RPI Top 50: 3-3
Record vs. RPI Top 100: 10-5
Nonconference SOS: #20
Overall SOS: #3
Road/Neutral Record: 5-4
Best 3 Wins: #13 MICHIGAN STATE, @ #33 Illinois, vs. #43 Memphis (total = 89)
Worst Loss: #84 Northwestern
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): none

B1G (includes future members)
7. Michigan (19-1)
10. GOPHERS (16-5)
13. Michigan State (16-4)
15. Indiana (19-2)
22. Ohio State (16-4)
33. Illinois (14-6)
51. Wisconsin (14-7)
57. Rutgers (12-8)
69. Maryland (15-6)
81. Nebraska (11-11)
84. Northwestern (12-10)
94. Iowa (13-7)
109. Purdue (11-10)
184. Penn State (8-12)

Gophers Nonconference Opponents
1. Duke (18-2)
43. Memphis (17-3)
56. North Dakota State (14-5)
59. Florida State (12-8)
61. South Dakota State (13-6)
67. Stanford (13-8)
75. Richmond (13-9)
101. Tennessee State (10-10)
104. USC (9-13)
189. Toledo (8-10)
202. Lafayette (10-12)
241. North Florida (7-14)
276. American (7-14)

SS, if we are hoping to earn one of the higher tournament seeds, how important is it to keep that record against RPI top 50 above .500? Intuitively I feel like the committee would look at your ability to win against top-end competition, but I guess I don't really know their process that well.

SS, if we are hoping to earn one of the higher tournament seeds, how important is it to keep that record against RPI top 50 above .500? Intuitively I feel like the committee would look at your ability to win against top-end competition, but I guess I don't really know their process that well.

Here is the official criteria that the committee will use.
http://www.bbstate.com/schools/MINN/sheet

Of course, there is nothing preventing them from using other criteria as well.

Does the committee look at how bad a team beats another? Does it favor us to have blow out wins against top 100 or 50 teams or do they just look for the W?

I'll be honest, when I put together my tournament field projections I don't pay much attention to seeding, other than taking at stab at the "last 4 in". I'm simply trying to predict as many of the 68 teams (read: the 37 at-larges) correctly as possible. I leave the seeding and location part of it to guys like Joe Lunardi, Jerry Palm, and Chris Dobbertean (bloggingthebracket.com).

I can say conservatively that if ia team is truly on the bubble & they have 3-5 top-50 wins along with about 10 top-100 wins, they're likely in great shape to get a bid. It's usually the bottom 8-10 teams that have pretty awful resumes.

3rd toughest schedule, still #10 in the RPI. It's nice to have the buffer of an extremely impressive start to the season to weather little storms like the last couple weeks and still be a top 10 RPI team. Take care of Iowa and see if we can go grab a nice resume boosting win @ MSU.

3rd toughest schedule, still #10 in the RPI. It's nice to have the buffer of an extremely impressive start to the season to weather little storms like the last couple weeks and still be a top 10 RPI team. Take care of Iowa and see if we can go grab a nice resume boosting win @ MSU.

That is a great goal for our Gophers, but in all honesty, Izzo's team is starting to take shape and it will take an enormous effort on our part to win at MSU. I also agree that we need to take care of Iowa, a potentially dangerous team and if we play to our potential, and Iowa plays AT their potential, it is gonna indeed be one fantastic game that will therefore need the BarnYard in its full enthusiasm and energy.

GO GOPHERS!!!

If we play to our potential every game here on out the only games we would probably lose is @ Sparty and we might even beat IU at home. When were on I truly believe we are better than Ohio State, if we can keep Thomas under 20 it's doable

That is a great goal for our Gophers, but in all honesty, Izzo's team is starting to take shape and it will take an enormous effort on our part to win at MSU. I also agree that we need to take care of Iowa, a potentially dangerous team and if we play to our potential, and Iowa plays AT their potential, it is gonna indeed be one fantastic game that will therefore need the BarnYard in its full enthusiasm and energy.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Seems to happen every year.

Top Bottom