#82 Richmond upsets greatest coach ever, SHAKA SMART's #19 VCU team.

Reaction score
Too funny, the poster child for the Fire Tubby Club, LOSES to a team rated WORSE than NW in the RPI.

LOL, Tubby has to be the worst coach in the world because the Gophers lose to NW, yet Shaka Smart couldn't coach his #19 ranked team past a lowly #82 ranked Richmond team, that Tubby WAS able to beat.

Don't forget about that classic choke job by Tubby tonight. Up seven with 42 seconds left. Oh wait that was Shaka Smart? Richmond was also without their best player.

Shaka NotsoSmart is our second best GH Poster.

#1...19 was being facetious in regards to "On to Brad Stevens " 19 is one of the few who enjoys my good humor on GH, most take me serious. Welcome to the Big Time. :)

p.s. I still wish you would change your moniker to JOE.

#1...19 was being facetious in regards to "On to Brad Stevens " 19 is one of the few who enjoys my good humor on GH, most take me serious. Welcome to the Big Time. :)

p.s. I still wish you would change your moniker to JOE.

Have you ever met my other friend George Kaplan?

This thread has to be a joke right? You are comparing an isolated loss by a coach who took VCU to a final four to a coach who has failed to finish above .500 in his own conference or win a single NCAA tournament game in FIVE years? Not to mention the later coach has been paid significantly more. Do us all a favor, post less.

No, I won't post less EG#9.

And no, its not a joke.

Tubby has a Natl Title. What does Shaka Smart have so far? SO FAR, he's nothing more than a FLUKE. Possibly a one hit wonder.

How long was he a head coach when they had their FF run?! He was in his SECOND YEAR as a Head Coach. Weren't some of those players that got him to the FF recruited by his predecessor?!

And his team did WORSE the 2nd year than they did the first year, and almost didn't even make the Tournament field.

Give Shaka Smart another 10-15 years, and we may come to find out that he's no better than Tubby?

Honestly, right now, we just don't know. ONE FLUKE SEASON, with mostly another coaches players(wait, this sounds like familiar criticism, lol) does NOT an incredible world beating coach make.

Shaka's got a lot more to prove.

As well as Tubby.

Soup, can't you defend Tubby without ripping Shaka Smart for no reason? Even if you throw out his 'fluke' Final Four he still has more NCAA wins at VCU than Tubby does here.

FWIW, the Gophers could do worse than Chris Mooney when the time comes too.

Oh, its ok if Gopher fans RIP Tubby to shreds on a regular basis, but its wrong if I treat their #1 pick to be his replacement with the same idiotic disrespect?!

Is Shaka going to read my posts and have his feelings hurt?! Sh1t, if Shaka read posts at this forum, he'd probably feel the same way I do about how people talk about Tubby.

Tubby won a Title with his predecessors players. Shaka got to the FF with his predecessors players.

Tubby won LOTS of NCAA tourney games in his first 5 years as a Head Coach, going to 3 straight Sweet 16s.

Tubby's gotten to AT LEAST the Sweet 16 TEN TIMES, at 3 different schools.

But now he's struggling at Minnesota?! Maybe MINNESOTA is the problem, not the coach?!

I'm not saying I believe that, but it is something that needs to be considered.

No, I won't post less EG#9.

And no, its not a joke.

Tubby has a Natl Title. What does Shaka Smart have so far? SO FAR, he's nothing more than a FLUKE. Possibly a one hit wonder.

How long was he a head coach when they had their FF run?! He was in his SECOND YEAR as a Head Coach. Weren't some of those players that got him to the FF recruited by his predecessor?!

And his team did WORSE the 2nd year than they did the first year, and almost didn't even make the Tournament field.

Give Shaka Smart another 10-15 years, and we may come to find out that he's no better than Tubby?

Honestly, right now, we just don't know. ONE FLUKE SEASON, with mostly another coaches players(wait, this sounds like familiar criticism, lol) does NOT an incredible world beating coach make.

Shaka's got a lot more to prove.

As well as Tubby.

I'd bet far more on Shaka over the next 5 years than Tubby.

What does this thread add to any discussion? The fact that VCU of all places is ranked at all is a miracle in itself. This thread is garbage. Shaka lost 1 game. Tubby's been losing for 6 years.

What does this thread add to any discussion? The fact that VCU of all places is ranked at all is a miracle in itself. This thread is garbage. Shaka lost 1 game. Tubby's been losing for 6 years.

Half miracle? How is it a half miracle? Is it also a half miracle that the Gophers are. Ranked?

What does Shaka Smart have so far? SO FAR, he's nothing more than a FLUKE. Possibly a one hit wonder.

A fluke? VCU had to win 5 games just to get to the Final Four. They beat teams from the Pac 12, Big East, Big Ten, ACC, and Big 12 just to get there. I was in San Antonio when they knocked off Florida State and Kansas. It was anything but a fluke. The Alamodome was Phog Allen Southwest (mostly Kansas fans), so basically the regional final was a road game for VCU.

Look, I'm not here to campaign on Smart or anyone else's behalf, but for anyone to suggest VCU's 2011 Final Four run was a fluke is a serious disservice to their accomplishment. And by the way ("possibly a one-hit wonder"), VCU (as a #12 seed) followed up by winning a game in last year's NCAA tourney, meaning the Rams have won 6 NCAA games in the last two seasons. Smart is doing something right.

Glad Smart lost last night. Great come-from-behind win by the Spiders. Any little bit helps the Gophers, especially if they don't snap out of it real soon.

Oh, its ok if Gopher fans RIP Tubby to shreds on a regular basis, but its wrong if I treat their #1 pick to be his replacement with the same idiotic disrespect?!

Is Shaka going to read my posts and have his feelings hurt?! Sh1t, if Shaka read posts at this forum, he'd probably feel the same way I do about how people talk about Tubby.

Tubby won a Title with his predecessors players. Shaka got to the FF with his predecessors players. Tubby won LOTS of NCAA tourney games in his first 5 years as a Head Coach, going to 3 straight Sweet 16s.

Tubby's gotten to AT LEAST the Sweet 16 TEN TIMES, at 3 different schools.

But now he's struggling at Minnesota?! Maybe MINNESOTA is the problem, not the coach?!

I'm not saying I believe that, but it is something that needs to be considered.

Tubby took Pitino's players, who had been NCAA champions and runner ups in the previous to years to another championship. Smart took players who were NIT and one-and-done under the old coach and ran them to the Final Four. I also don't believe in "flukes" in postseason play. Once you get to the playoffs, everyone's job is to win in a no-excuses environment, and so long as you win (without cheating), you have done your job right.

This thread is hilarious! Kudos. The grass is always greener....

Half miracle? How is it a half miracle? Is it also a half miracle that the Gophers are. Ranked?

Where did I say half miracle? Are you hallucinating? What's a half miracle?

There are 5 Big Ten teams in the AP Top 25. There are 2 A-10 teams ranked.

Richmond, Va is the 55th media market. Minneapolis is 16.

We have 10,000 more undergrads.

We have better facilities (how often can we say that?). We have more money.

VCU vs. Richmond is a rivalry game. Upsets against rivals happen. Minnesota vs. Northwestern is not.

The fact that we are not head and shoulders better than them (if we are better at all) is a testament to Shaka and an embarrassment to not only Tubby but many other Big 10/Big East/ACC coaches as well.

Please do not compare a Big Ten school to an Atlantic 10 school. Ever again. Ever. Please.

We have not had a conference season above .500 since 2004-05. There is a lot of greener grass out there.

Gophers have never had a conference record above 500 during Tubby's tenure and never higher than a sixth place finish.

Wisconsin has never finished below fourth place(conference) during the Bo era....11 seasons(?)

That is a horrible thought.............That is effing Wisconsin..........How do people explain that away?

This is supposed to be Tubby's best team and a down year for Bo, yet the trend may continue.

Gophers have never had a conference record above 500 during Tubby's tenure and never higher than a sixth place finish.

Wisconsin has never finished below fourth place(conference) during the Bo era....11 seasons(?)

That is a horrible thought.............That is effing Wisconsin..........How do people explain that away?

This is supposed to be Tubby's best team and a down year for Bo, yet the trend may continue.

It will be interesting to see how this year shakes out. I don't really care how it trends though, care how it ends.

We have better facilities (how often can we say that?). We have more money.

Of all the facts you cited, these are the only ones even tangentially related to winning and losing games. I mean, media market size? Who gives a sh1t? How big of a media market is Lexington, KY? Is Purdue supposed to suck balls because Lafayette is one of the smallest media markets in the country? What a stupid argument.

Please do not compare a Big Ten school to an Atlantic 10 school. Ever again. Ever. Please.

There are multiple Atlantic 10 schools that have better teams (some now, some historically, some both) than Minnesota - including, but not necessarily limited to:

Butler
Xavier
Temple

You're acting like the A-10 is the SWAC or something. The A-10 currently has a better RPI than the SEC.

Top Bottom