First my eyes bugged out when I saw we were #4 in the RPI, until I saw this...

Reaction score
Espn's Basketball Power Index(BPI) has UMn listed at #2. No 2.

1. Duke
2. Minnesota
3. Indiana
4. Louisville
5. Arizona
6. Florida
7. Kansas
8. Michigan
9. Syracuse
10. Creighton

Duke is way out in front, and we are only 1/10th of a point ahead of IU, but for the time being, we are ranked #2 in the nation!!!

#2 BPI, #4 RPI, #8 AP. Things are looking good!!!

Enjoy the love, but will feel better about it if they beat Ind & Mich. Duke pretty well manhandled the U, but I still look back at that game as a good thing, letting the U experience playing a top program and what is needed to reach the next level.

I hate to say it, I don't know how long it will last, but for the time being, I'm really enjoying the love!!!

Don't even know what the BPI poll is, but it sounds impressive, the Basketball POWER Index. And whatever it is or means, it can't be a bad thing that we are ranked #2 in the thing!!!

I hate to say it, I don't know how long it will last, but for the time being, I'm really enjoying the love!!!

Don't even know what the BPI poll is, but it sounds impressive, the Basketball POWER Index. And whatever it is or means, it can't be a bad thing that we are ranked #2 in the thing!!!

dat username

Thinking back to the Duke game now is interesting. At the time, it seemed like we got thoroughly abused, but then I look at the shooting stats (Duke 54.5% FG, 80% 3FG) and think that if Duke just shot their season averages (48.1 and 42.7), we likely still lose, but it's a 6-8 point victory instead of 18. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the two teams played 100 times, 18 is probably the largest margin of victory Duke would have in those 100 games. Minnesota would probably give them as good of a game consistently as almost any team in the country.

Well, not sure how long some of you have been here, but I used to go by Minnesota Pride, so MP would work. Or, if you look at my moniker closely, you will notice I'm indicating what sports UMn is #1 in, or has been #1 in for an extended period of time.

It's amazing to think that if the Gophers beat Duke, they would be the #1 team in the land right now. Crazy.

Thinking back to the Duke game now is interesting. At the time, it seemed like we got thoroughly abused, but then I look at the shooting stats (Duke 54.5% FG, 80% 3FG) and think that if Duke just shot their season averages (48.1 and 42.7), we likely still lose, but it's a 6-8 point victory instead of 18. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the two teams played 100 times, 18 is probably the largest margin of victory Duke would have in those 100 games. Minnesota would probably give them as good of a game consistently as almost any team in the country.

There's just not much you can do against a great team that's sinking contested 3s like Duke was against us. They were hitting EVERYTHING (especially in 2nd half it seemed) and we couldn't get a shot to drop.

A diehard fan of Indiana has been pointing out for years, and I've noticed he has a pretty good point, that Duke peaks every year in November and coasts through the ACC and then more often than not does not match their hype in the Big Dance. So I don't think that we'll have to be fearful of Duke at anytime in the future, either in the rankings, or if we meet them in the NCAA tournament. They shot lights out that game, and since then, we're playing with alot more confidence. But as much as a #1 or #2 ranking would be nice, anything in the Top 5 would be incredible for the AP or Coaches, and if we can stay really high in the RPI and these other power polls, it should bode well for our getting a #1 seed. And there's nothing wrong with a #2 seed, either, really. That has to be our goal this season, more than getting a certain poll ranking or winning a Big Ten title even. The 2nd place team in the Big Ten could very easily get a #1 seed, or at least a #2, and I'm thinking the 3rd place team is almost assured a #2 seed. The Conferences RPI is so solid, the Conferences reputation is so solid, just like the SEC in cfb, our teams are going to reap the benefits when tournament seeding comes along. Even if we lose a game, and the media polls punish us, we need only to worry about our NCAA tournament seeding situation. The RPI poll won't punish us for a good loss, like the press could do.

There's just not much you can do against a great team that's sinking contested 3s like Duke was against us. They were hitting EVERYTHING (especially in 2nd half it seemed) and we couldn't get a shot to drop.

they made 8 of ten 3s, a hole that our gophers dug just a little deeper at the end
wasn't the duke lead about 12 through most of the second half?

kudos to duke for the hot shooting, doubt they'll repeat it when we face them in the tourney

Well, not sure how long some of you have been here, but I used to go by Minnesota Pride, so MP would work. Or, if you look at my moniker closely, you will notice I'm indicating what sports UMn is #1 in, or has been #1 in for an extended period of time.

I think I'll go with 'Weirdnameguy'.

I think I'll go with 'Weirdnameguy'.

Not only is his moniker a pain in the arse, most of his posts are too damned long because by the time I get to the end I have forgotten what he said at the beginning. Brevity is beautiful. :)

Based on what piece in history?

He used to refer to himself as Dr Donald, but he couldn't make it all the way to the end.

Yep, 19. I learned from you how to take shortcuts. And Parski0 learned from you too.

I hate it when v;ofiyhgujtoighnfi;orcstiorocighn oh $hit, fell asleep and head hit keyboard. Oh well.

Dr Don - I seriously didn't think about my new moniker all that much. Didn't think it through and consider your feelings about it, like I should have, and for that I am sorry. But reading all of the reactions to it cracks me up, its very entertaining. I especially enjoyed your vision of me falling asleep and hitting my head on the keyboard to come up with the moniker. lol

Huh? I get that there's no way they're 18 points better than us on average, but it seems like you're somewhat neglecting the fact that we allowed them to shoot a ridiculous percentage. Yes, we did have some bad luck (crazy shot to end the half, 80% from 3 is unheard of, many of them were deep, etc.). But honestly, from what I remember, we just didn't adjust to the fact that they were having one of those crazy days from three. We should've been playing them ridiculously tight from 3. Plumlee also shat all over us and we allowed every one of their players to have a good shooting day. It wasn't like one or two of their players had days where they could shoot from wherever and it would go in (e.g., Andre vs. Memphis). I somewhat understand the average fg% line of thinking since we should expect that our team is good enough to at least hold them to their average, but the fact that they did shoot a crazy percentage and would normally not beat us that badly doesn't change the fact that they did manhandle us. Also, if you're gonna look at an adjusted score involving their average shooting percentages, you should also take into account the Mav anomaly from that game (10 points on 2 shots and 2 steals). Just messin, just thinking back to how crazy that was where Mav looked so savvy with the Paul Pierce like plays to draw fouls.

Zona lost, now we are #3 in the RPI, thanks to our friends in the Dakotas and Tenn St for winning last night, as well as MSU and NW, who only matter in the short term, but its fun to see us ranked where we are.

It'll be tough to win *at* Indiana, but at this point in the year I still think Duke is the team I'd least like to face in the NCAA's. They may not shoot 55%/80% again, but they are a team loaded with very good shooters at virtually every position, they play smart and disciplined, they play excellent defense, and they make their free throws (a recipe for winning close games). And they are going to be deeper come tourney time, as a result of the injury to Kelly right now (assuming he gets back eventually).

I'd give the Gophers a reasonable shot against anyone in the country right now, esp on a neutral floor or at home, but still not Duke. (And notwithstanding IU's butler loss, I'd still put IU as the second best team in the country. Gophers deserve top 5 or 6 at this point).

I'm inclined to agree about Duke, we'll have to see how they do without one of their key players, but I'm going to hold off and wait until after the game with Indiana, before I dub IU #2. Michigan is a very young team, and could be #2, but again, going to hold off for now. I have high hopes for Minnesota, but still can only see them as a Top 8 team right now. I really, really want to believe and hope that soon, like in a week, I'll be able to start thinking of them as a Top 4 or maybe even Top 2 team.

It'll be tough to win *at* Indiana, but at this point in the year I still think Duke is the team I'd least like to face in the NCAA's. They may not shoot 55%/80% again, but they are a team loaded with very good shooters at virtually every position, they play smart and disciplined, they play excellent defense, and they make their free throws (a recipe for winning close games). And they are going to be deeper come tourney time, as a result of the injury to Kelly right now (assuming he gets back eventually).

I'd give the Gophers a reasonable shot against anyone in the country right now, esp on a neutral floor or at home, but still not Duke. (And notwithstanding IU's butler loss, I'd still put IU as the second best team in the country. Gophers deserve top 5 or 6 at this point).

Duke played one of the better games I have seen a college team play that day. Their defense was outstanding too....not just their shooting. I would like to see how we would match up with them in the tournament. It would help having a much healthier and stronger Mbakwe this time.

As homer ish as it sounds, none of the teams in the country scare me, duke faced us with our best player (mbakwe) at half strength, I'm not so sure they win 6 out of 10 games against us, especially come march, where duke always chokes.

Top Bottom