12/17 AP Poll...Indiana, Florida, Gonzaga? UPDATED: Gophers remain at #13 in AP Poll

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
How far will Indiana and Florida fall in the AP poll on Monday? My guess is they both stay above the Gophers.

I think the more interesting aspect to watch will be whether or not Gonzaga leaps over us following a nationally televised win over Kansas State. They were only 15 points behind us in the 12/10 poll.

I predict that Duke will be #1 and the Gophers will be behind them somewhere.

1. Duke
2. Michigan
3. Syracuse
4. Louisville
5. Arizona
6. Ohio State
7. Indiana
8. Kansas
9. Florida
10. Illinois
11. Cincinatti
12. Missouri
13. Gonzaga
14. Minnesota
15-25. Who cares

I think there is a very good chance we drop this week. We will have to see in 12 hours.

Top 5 in the new poll:

1. Duke
2. Michigan
3. Syracuse
4. Arizona
5. Louisville

Full poll coming shortly...

Gophers stay at #13, 20 votes ahead of Gonzaga: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/polls/?eref=sinav

Indiana drops to #6, Florida drops to #8.

Best chances in the next week for the Gophers to move up:

Xavier vs #11 Cincinnati (Wednesday)
#9 Kansas at #7 Ohio State (Saturday)
#10 Illinois at #12 Missouri (Saturday)

Very likely that the Gophers will be up to #11 (assuming a win over Lafayette) come next Monday. A Xavier upset - unlikely, but possible - would push us into the top 10.

I feel like Illinois is due for a cold shooting night which could result in a loss on the road. Hopefully they can beat Mizzou though, same goes for Ohio State, only helps the conference overall. I would love to get into the top 10 for the home opener vs MSU. I think the Barn would be really rocking for that game.

I feel like Illinois is due for a cold shooting night which could result in a loss on the road. Hopefully they can beat Mizzou though, same goes for Ohio State, only helps the conference overall. I would love to get into the top 10 for the home opener vs MSU. I think the Barn would be really rocking for that game.

Cincy plays #16 New Mexico on 12/27, and Kentucky plays at #5 Louisville on 12/29, which are the next best chances for a team above us to lose - if they release a poll on 12/31 (I think they do) then we certainly could be a newly-crowned top-10 team for the MSU game.

#13 in the ESPN Power Rankings:

"Trevor Mbakwe pulled down a career-high 18 rebounds off the bench against North Dakota State and is showing he has regained his explosiveness after ACL surgery a year ago. The Gophers have won seven straight, and they have only one tune-up left -- against Lafayette on Saturday -- before the start of the Big Ten season."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings/_/season/2013/week/7

Go Gophers!!

#13 in the ESPN Power Rankings:

"Trevor Mbakwe pulled down a career-high 18 rebounds off the bench against North Dakota State and is showing he has regained his explosiveness after ACL surgery a year ago. The Gophers have won seven straight, and they have only one tune-up left -- against Lafayette on Saturday -- before the start of the Big Ten season."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings/_/season/2013/week/7

Go Gophers!!

CBS Power Rankings: #12 with essentially the same blurb as ESPN.

I hope the two games in 20 days doesn't turn out to be a bad thing. That's an awful lot of time off without much game action. Seems like it would have been a good idea to schedule a game on the 27th or 28th. I'm guessing Joe Esposito tried.

I hope the two games in 20 days doesn't turn out to be a bad thing. That's an awful lot of time off without much game action. Seems like it would have been a good idea to schedule a game on the 27th or 28th. I'm guessing Joe Esposito tried.

I was thinking the same thing. Obviously we maxed out on non-conference games, but it would have been good to move say the SDSU game to one of those dates, even if we had to pay them a bit extra. Our AD clearly doesn't mind such things :cool:

I guess the other side of it is the Gophers should be foaming at the mouth to play on New Year's Eve. Izzo has owned Tubby. It's time for the worm to turn a little bit.

Plus, MSU has the same layoff before our game (they play Texas on 12/22 and then us on 12/31).

Yes totally agree. Especially with how well we were playing, etc.

Tim Doyle ‏@TimDoyle00
My power rankings for B1G basketball 12- psu 11-purdue 10- Neb 9- NU 8- Wis 7- Mich St 6- Iowa 5- Ill 4- OSU 3- Minny 2- Mich 1- IU

Tim Doyle ‏@TimDoyle00
My power rankings for B1G basketball 12- psu 11-purdue 10- Neb 9- NU 8- Wis 7- Mich St 6- Iowa 5- Ill 4- OSU 3- Minny 2- Mich 1- IU

If we do finish 3rd in the B1G, that would likely mean a top 10 ranking and a 2-3 seed in the tourney. I would certainly take that!

I guess the other side of it is the Gophers should be foaming at the mouth to play on New Year's Eve. Izzo has owned Tubby. It's time for the worm to turn a little bit.

Given the team's injury issues in recent years, leaving a two week gap to completely retool if necessary was the right move. Luckily, they don't need it.

Tim Doyle ‏@TimDoyle00

I am not a big Doyle fan, but it is nice to see him give the Gophers a positive ranking. Not sure i would put Iowa ahead of MSU.

Top Bottom