All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Jalen Rose

I see the same thing, a bit smoother and more technically gifted than Jalen but isn't blow by you fast nor will he do many things that make you drop your jaw and go wow. Hes gonna any combination of bigger, longer, taller smarter or stronger than most that try to guard him

Shaun Livingston with a lesser knee injury. I think there's at least a 30% chance he ends up being a one and done.

New mixtape from the MN Fall Showcase. Amir looks AWESOME. Can't even tell he is coming of of a knee injury.

Alert the media!!!!!! He is good!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New mixtape from the MN Fall Showcase. Amir looks AWESOME. Can't even tell he is coming of of a knee injury.

He's obviously a skilled player, but does anyone play defense anymore?
I'd like to see highlights against competition that actually moves their feet on defense.

I'd like to see highlights against competition that actually moves their feet on defense.

Coffey does! The highlight features two charging calls he drew. Really wish he was a 2015 recruit, we could use him.

Coffey does! The highlight features two charging calls he drew. Really wish he was a 2015 recruit, we could use him.

Shaun Livingston with a lesser knee injury. I think there's at least a 30% chance he ends up being a one and done.

Perhaps a bit of an ambitious comp for Amir. Livingston was the #2 player in his class, #1 point guard, Rival 5-stars and McDonald's All-American, not to mention the #4 pick in the NBA draft out of high school. Amir may get there someday, but he's not in the same class as a high schooler.

No kidding. May as well post a video of him dunking by himself in his driveway.

To his credit, he can't pick his competition (debatable with the recent transfer-south trend, but you get the point.)

I like how he dribbles with his head up and is always looking around. He does have point guard skills.

No kidding. May as well post a video of him dunking by himself in his driveway.

To his credit, he can't pick his competition (debatable with the recent transfer-south trend, but you get the point.)

I'm pretty sure one of the people d'ing him up in those videos is Tre Jones, who's not a shabby recruit in his own right.

Looks like Amir has put on some weight over the past year (Good Weight). Nice to see

per Shama:

Novak has coached high school basketball for more than 30 years. At Hopkins he has coached championship teams and great players including Siyani Chambers, Joe Coleman, Kris Humphries and Royce White. Novak considers Humphries, who was a rebounding whiz along with other skills, to be his best player ever, but said Coffey is unique. “I am not saying he’s (Coffey) the best player. He’s definitely the most versatile player,” Novak told Sports Headliners recently.

Novak wants defensive improvement out of Coffey this season. His ability to defend at a high level will go a long way toward determining the Royals’ success. “For us, Amir is going to have to be guarding the best player most of the time, and he has the smarts to be able to do that,” Novak said.

Although Coffey is tall, he is a good ball handler and his passing prompts raves from the coach. “He’s a phenomenal passer,” Novak said. “Passing ability is what he does best. Vision wise, as good a point guard as you will find.”

Coffey’s dad, Richard Coffey, was a 6-4 undersized, overachieving forward and center for the Gophers from 1986-1990. Richard was all about the team and probably nobody ever graded him less than A+ for attitude.

Novak said Amir is also about teammates first. “He’s a really unselfish kid,” Novak said. “He’s not a kid that’s looking to try and go out and get 30 points. He likes to set people up and he does it all the time.”

Novak believes Coffey could become a superb shooter and scorer because he has “great hands.” In college he likely will need to shoot long range in Pitino’s offense emphasizing three-pointers. With his scoring, passing, rebounding and defending potential, Coffey could eventually be a special college player but he will have to polish his total game and become physically stronger.

“He’s not coming in and dominating Big Ten basketball with his size,” Novak said. “Can he in a few years? Yeah, I think he can in a few years. …”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Haven't been this excited for a incoming recruit since Royce.....STAY HEALTHY AMIR!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

per Marcus:

Coffey hopes his decision will influence Minnesota's best to follow in his footsteps.

"There's usually one or two national-level recruits out of Minnesota each year, and there's been pressure on Pitino to grab one," Rivals.com recruiting expert Eric Bossi said. "You've got to get that first one to show everyone else that it's OK to stay home and play here because they have big-time basketball."

The top players in the class of 2017 are five-star shooting guard Gary Trent Jr. of Apple Valley and three-star power forward Theo John of Champlin Park.

It might be tough for Pitino to compete with high-profile programs such Duke. Trent just returned from a visit with coach Mike Krzyzewski in Durham, N.C., last week.

But John, a 6-9 leaper, has the Gophers high on his list.

"The talent in Minnesota is amazing starting with Tyus, Rashad and Reid Travis, Jarvis Johnson," Coffey said. "If the Gophers do take advantage of it, it would be a great team. There are a lot of great players here. Hopefully they commit to the Gophers."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ball-amir-coffey-helping-pitino-reverse-state

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

WCCO: Back On The Court, Hopkins’ Coffey Prepping For College Career In Minnesota

Coaches know Coffey has some of those rare gifts, and the idea is to couple it with tenacity. And the numbers can be big — really big.

“In high school basketball, to average a triple double is almost impossible. The game’s too short,” Hopkins basketball coach Ken Novak Jr. said. “You have a tendency not to play guys as much, because you get up, and we have intensive play. But while he’s playing, we want him on that type of track.”

So he keeps moving towards bigger goals, with a father who has set the tone.

“‘Never give up, and keep working hard.’ That’s probably another quote that he always told me as a kid,” Coffey said about his dad. “Never stop working, and always pursue your dreams.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/...fey-prepping-for-college-career-in-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Amir had 32 points (21 shots) and 17 rebounds. In 22 minutes.

This kid is going to be amazing here.

Amir had 32 points (21 shots) and 17 rebounds. In 22 minutes.

This kid is going to be amazing here.

#McDonaldsWatch

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">'16 SF Amir Coffey (MN) had 32 pts, 17 rbds, 13-21 FGA's in only 22 mins.

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/McDonaldsWatch?src=hash">#McDonaldsWatch</a>: <a href="https://t.co/TfD4HjeKv0">https://t.co/TfD4HjeKv0</a> <a href="https://t.co/e0IqgjgliC">pic.twitter.com/e0IqgjgliC</a></p>— Brandon Clay (@BrandonClayPSB) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrandonClayPSB/status/673519757195239424">December 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

Here's a little video from Saturday

That article makes me feel better after such a rough two games. Multiple players said they haven't been listening to Pitino and executing his plan well enough. I think the players who recognize that need to hold their teammates accountable and it sounds like they will try. Watching the way we play has made us question coaching schemes but if such a young team isn't doing that yet this early in the season, that makes me less concerned about the coaching. Our issues are less trouble when if you really think about it, it's really not surprising because...
- We're super young
- We have very few players even available and a couple of them aren't ready for more than a few minutes right now
- I don't think Morris is capable of executing a game-plan or playing within a scheme well, and as much as he can help us at times, him graduating will probably help in terms of playing within Pitino's system
- We have 3 freshmen playing a lot of minutes. They'll pick things up--give them time.
- It's early in the season with close to a new team

Top Bottom