All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

I'm not a Tubby supporter. We're always just being fed a new dose of hope that we convince ourselves to get excited about. It was the same for awhile with Tubby. Now we're excited about a "4-star" QB that nobody else was recruiting anymore. It's the same depressing stuff every year for us.

Back to Pitino. Let's say the team is disappointing but Coffey looks good next year. What do we do? Fire a guy for not making the tournament for 4 years or let him go before there is a mass exodus of support players after the following year? (Mason, the transfers, Konate/Gaston)...honest question. I am not a Pitino hater by any means, but it could be a thing where we wonder how long of leash to give him.

I think you registered at the wrong site if you don't understand this.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Keep in mind, getting nominated does not mean he will be a McD's All-American. By my rough estimate, around 300 players were nominated. Neither Curry nor Hurt were nominated. Jarvis Johnson and Jordan Murphy were nominated last year.

I wonder how the nomination process works. There are a LOT of players nominated. California had a little over 50. New Jersey had about 45, which appears to be more than New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland combined. I looked up a few random players. Some of them aren't top 150 on Rivals, some only have mid-major offers, some have no Rivals profile for them at all. Meanwhile there are some top 150 and 4-star players who aren't listed. Kind of odd.

For those interested in the list of nominees: http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com...s/2016 Nominee List (Boys_Girls) Final(1).pdf

Keep in mind, getting nominated does not mean he will be a McD's All-American. By my rough estimate, around 300 players were nominated. Neither Curry nor Hurt were nominated. Jarvis Johnson and Jordan Murphy were nominated last year.

I wonder how the nomination process works. There are a LOT of players nominated. California had a little over 50. New Jersey had about 45, which appears to be more than New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland combined. I looked up a few random players. Some of them aren't top 150 on Rivals, some only have mid-major offers, some have no Rivals profile for them at all. Meanwhile there are some top 150 and 4-star players who aren't listed. Kind of odd.

For those interested in the list of nominees: http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com...s/2016 Nominee List (Boys_Girls) Final(1).pdf

Not that Curry and Hurt had a good chance of making the final roster, but they would have easily made the list of nominee's if their coach or one of their administrators nominated them.

Coffey actually has somewhat of a chance to make the team himself.

Here is how players are nominated:

To assist with the process, an online nomination form is available for those who are authorized to nominate players. As a reminder, the following people may nominate players:
High school principal
High school athletic director
High school coach
Member of the McDonald's All American Games Selection Committee

Coffey scored 28 last night and Hopkins keeps rolling. They were up by 20 at half, so I doubt Coffey even played as much in the second. Saw that Hopkins was ranked in the top 25 nationally by Maxpreps as well.

Go Gophers!!

Just curious - does anyone know a good online resource for HS players stats? I wanted to get an idea of Amir's shooting percentages this year (mainly 3pt). All I could find was his interview with GH which stated his stats from short lived Jr season (FG - 54 3pt - 35 - FT - 65).

Also - anyone hear any more news about Eric Curry? I read Sid's blurb about it - a little scary to hear about a hip injury at that age.. Hope it's acute and not degenerative.

Fun Q&A with former Gophers great Eric Harris and Amir:

TWEH: I know that you've heard some Coach Clem Haskins stories from your dad. What's your favorite?

AC: My dad used to tell me stories about Coach Clem Haskins all of the time. A funny story that he told me happened at one of their practices. Coach was injured and he was in a wheelchair and he was yelling at the team, but he couldn't get up. So he told the team to huddle up while he had a blanket over his legs. Then he ripped the blanket off and tried to stand up. It was pretty funny the way my dad reenacted it.

TWEH: I never played with your dad, but the stories about him from Coach Clem Haskins are legendary. Coach always described Richard Coffey as a fearless competitor/warrior. How would you describe your dad and the influence he had on you & your sisters on & off the court?

AC: My dad was an enforcer, so he played a different game than my sisters and I. He did all of the dirty work and played his heart out every game. He always said that 'we had more skill than him.' So when we were younger, he just wanted to put more in our game. The shooting and dribbling skills that he didn't have. You can't teach that stuff to someone when they're older. It starts when you're young so that you have it down. Of course we were going to always play hard.

http://www.trainwithericharris.blogspot.com/

Go Gophers!!

Obviously he's signed his LOI, but how does he have to feel right now? If we're looking at mediocre JuCos tonight, that may mean that one or more guys are gone and Richard is fighting for his job next year. If Richard's efforts go south and he's canned, there will probably be some turnover for the next guy. I can't imagine Coffey is going to see a solid/deep cast around him until his senior or maybe junior year if we're lucky.

Obviously he's signed his LOI, but how does he have to feel right now? If we're looking at mediocre JuCos tonight, that may mean that one or more guys are gone and Richard is fighting for his job next year. If Richard's efforts go south and he's canned, there will probably be some turnover for the next guy. I can't imagine Coffey is going to see a solid/deep cast around him until his senior or maybe junior year if we're lucky.

I think you're over-worrying this thing. It's going to be okay. Trust me. :cool02:

The only chance any of the signed recruits don't come here is if there's a new head coach. Even then, I suspect Hurt would come for sure.

Go Gophers!!

Wow that's awesome! Jordan Classic is almost on the same level as the McDonald's All-American game.

Nice little highlight here:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

He didn't do much the first half but he really turned it on in the second, I don't remember anyone taking over a game while making it look that easy before, not Macura/White/Rickert/Jacobson etc.. He could really be special.

He doesn't control the ball much in Hopkins offense, El Amin is much more prominent but when they need a bucket and focus on Coffey it is fun to watch.

STrib: Coffey takes accolades, hungers for a title

He’s long-limbed enough to create havoc in passing lanes. An adept ball-handler who can break a press on his own. A scorer with an endless well of creativity. But where Coffey really excels is at making his teammates better. If basketball IQ were measurable, Coffey would be a Mensa member.

“He’s a great passer. That’s his best attribute,” Hopkins coach Ken Novak said. “He’s very unselfish and [he’s] not trying to be the guy everyone is looking at. Consequently, kids love to play with him.”

Coffey has committed to play for the University of Minnesota and brings the size and versatility the Gophers desperately need. There have been reports of dissatisfaction with the direction of the program, but currently his commitment remains solid.

http://www.startribune.com/coffey-takes-accolades-hungers-for-a-title/371342361/

Go Gophers!!

"...but currently his commitment remains solid."

You'd think a sportswriter for a major newspaper would be aware of the difference between a "commit" and a "signee."

"...but currently his commitment remains solid."

You'd think a sportswriter for a major newspaper would be aware of the difference between a "commit" and a "signee."

The Strib has been casting doubt on Coffey based on Richard's fatherly quote regarding the videos. This is the third or fourth time I've seen their writers pushing this agenda with nothing to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Strib has been casting doubt on Coffey based on Richard's fatherly quote regarding the videos. This is the third or fourth time I've seen their writers pushing this agenda with nothing to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize he can back out even if he signed a letter of intent and schools can grant the player a release. It does not happen very often, but it does happen.

Top Bottom