All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

I watched Coffey's team tonight and they completely dominated the opposition. I think Amir had at least 5 dunks. I believe the final score was 96-22. Amir and his entire team moved the ball very well against a very inferior team.

That is an impressive 15-year old. Not many kids his age could give an interview of that quality and talk about the things he talked about so confidently and articulately. Character-wise and personality-wise, he seems to be another Rodney Williams.

He seems to understand that he's been given some physical gifts but that his success going forward will depend in great part on additional skill development.

That is an impressive 15-year old. Not many kids his age could give an interview of that quality and talk about the things he talked about so confidently and articulately.

He's actually 16 years old, but yes - super young man. Very coachable and his size and skill make it interesting to project what he'll play in college - tall passer that is capable of playing some point - maybe a bit Kyle Anderson like in that regard. Love him in the passing lanes defensively; how physically can he play?

Going to be fun watching him continue to develop over the next three years of high school - he's legit.

Tweet from Al Nolen:

Nice to see amir coffey received a official offer from the gophers, @VIPJohnson34 always talking good about him... #stayhome #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

According to Marcus he broke his tibia today. Month and a half recovery. Came on a hard foul in a roughly 70 point game.

Per Marcus Fuller, Amir Coffey has suffered a broken tibia today, and faces about a 6 week recovery period. Hope he gets better quickly!

@gopherhole: Good luck to #Gophers recruit Amir Coffey (@CoffeyShop_ ) who, according to @GophersNow, suffered a broken tibia today. #FullRecovery!

Go Gophers!!

Fuller clarified that it was a fracture and not a break, which is a positive.

Tweet from Al Nolen:

Nice to see amir coffey received a official offer from the gophers, @VIPJohnson34 always talking good about him... #stayhome #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Was al from here??? Does he still reside in the TC?

Edit : I'm an idiot. I wasn't much of a die hard when he was being recruited. Did not realize or at least remember him being a local kid... was he a stud in hs.?

A fracture and a break are the same thing.

The question is how bad / incomplete / Kevin Ware / etc?

A fracture and a break are the same thing.

The question is how bad / incomplete / Kevin Ware / etc?

Like I said (or edited to say anyway), although they are the same thing I think that Fuller was trying to say that it was a crack to the bone rather than a clean break. Could be wrong but that's my guess.

Well Indiana offered. Is anybody not as scared of Indiana as other top programs in the B1G? I would be more nervous about Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, and even Wisconsin then I am of Indiana. Maybe it is because I just hate Tom Crean, but I just don't see him as big of a threat

Amelia blog: Gophers offer their first 2016 recruit: Amir Coffey

So you’ll be like a regular teenager. How does it feel for you to be the first 2016 offer the Gophers have extended? When I talked to them a couple of months before they said they weren’t going to offer me until I got a little bit older because I’m so young, so when they did I was actually surprised … so I was just surprised and pretty happy that they offered me, and just stunned at first.

A lot has changed with Pitino and his staff coming in – what are your impressions of the staff and his new style? When we first went up there, Pitino said he was going to try to play a more fast-paced game and I like playing fast and running the ball. I met a couple of the coaches – I haven’t met them all yet, but so far I like them all and they are all good people. I just see myself getting comfortable with them.

Did you grow up a Gophers fan? I actually did because, you know, it’s really the only D1 college in Minnesota, so I went to a lot of games, football games, I was on campus a lot and just got comfortable there.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/Gold_in_the_Barn.html

Go Gophers!!

per Doogie's Scoops:

It was a good news, bad news weekend for soon-to-be Hopkins sophomore guard/forward Amir Coffey. As expected, Pitino offered a scholarship to the son of former Gopher Richard Coffey after seeing him Saturday in the Best Buy Classic in Bloomington. The bad: he suffered a cracked tibia, which shouldn't require surgery. His recovery time is approximately six weeks, according to his mother. In talking with Coffey on Thursday, he indicated that his general physician recently told him he should grow to be 6-foot-9. As for that Gophers offer: "Minnesota is a great school," Coffey said. "I grew up around the Gophers because my dad (Richard) went there. I'm always on campus. I love Minnesota."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ing_to_have_FIU_transfer_Rakeem_Buckles072213

Go Gophers!!

If he gets that tall he will a top 5 or 10 kid and Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina will be all over him him like a cheap suit.

Early prediction: I love Tyus and Vaughn, Amir 'will' be the best NBA pro to come out of MN in the last 20years.

Was al from here??? Does he still reside in the TC?

Edit : I'm an idiot. I wasn't much of a die hard when he was being recruited. Did not realize or at least remember him being a local kid... was he a stud in hs.?

Yes al nolen was from Minnesota he played at Minneapolis Patrick Henry. He was a 3 star recruit if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter Now II: Gophers, others court Amir Coffey (Richard's son)

Amir Coffey, a 6-foot-6, 170-pound basketball guard who just turned 16 and will be a sophomore at Hopkins this year, already has offers from the University of Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa State, Northwestern, Penn State and Creighton.

He is the son of former Gopher and Timberwolf Richard Coffey.

"Amir's a gym rat," said Richard, 47, who owns a commercial cleaning service in the Twin Cities. "It's a blessing when you have a kid in your household who can garner that kind of attention."

Also in the Coffey household is daughter Nia, who will be a freshman basketball player at Northwestern, and daughter Sydney, a sophomore basketball star at Marist College.

"I'm so proud of them all," Coffey said.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom