All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

I tweeted at "The Barnyard" about chanting Reid Travis' name last year and the response was something to the effect of "if we can fit it in." A little more engaged student section would be helpful.

the barnyard can't comment directly on recruits because they are a direct member of Gopher athletics - they're not just a stand-alone student group. they've gotten heat in the past for talking about recruits on twitter

The Barnyard better have something in store for the Amir Coffey visit. The "if we can fit it in" response to Reid Travis is very, very worrisome. Amir Coffey chants need to be loud and proud tomorrow night.

Amir should be treated to the intense magic that can be unique to the barn when the fans recognize the Gophers have overwhelmed or overcome their opponent, as with beating then number 1 Indiana. I'm hoping that Amir and mom can feel that synergy tomorrow night and Amir can envision himself as the leader of something special. Come on, Minnesota!

Hang up the Coffey jersey in rafters........better hurry though.:cool02:

Anybody at the game have a report on how the crowd engaged with Amir? I couldn't hear any chants on TV.

Anybody at the game have a report on how the crowd engaged with Amir? I couldn't hear any chants on TV.

Commercial break entertainment videos on the big screen and PA announcements rudely cut off several chants. Best chant came when Amir was in the concession line. 1-2 good ones though. Crowd/atmosphere wasn't at its best today even though the team (and student section) was.

Somebody had a sign that was shown on the big screen that read "We already have a Bakery, now we just need some Coffee". Amir pointed towards the student section after seeing it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I actually heard a we want Coffey chant on TV in between Pettaway's (i believe) free throws.

I actually heard a we want Coffey chant on TV in between Pettaway's (i believe) free throws.
It was very audible. It was loud, but 'tasteful' - meaning it didn't detract from the game or seem too contrived/rehearsed. Everyone heard it and got it. Well, actually, not everyone got it. The guy behind me wondered why the student section was saying they wanted hockey...

Amir, your future's here,
the Barn is near,
where Richard can hear,
there's no need to fear,
your future is here,
all Minnesota will cheer,
and mom will tear,
for her son Amir,
who dunked without peer,
putting the Gophers in high gear,
Thanks to the legend of Amir.

the Barn is near,
where Richard can hear,
there's no need to fear,
your future is here,
and mom will tear,
for her son Amir,
who dunked without peer,

I've seen better, but good effort and excellent ending!

the Barn is near,
where Richard can hear,
there's no need to fear,
your future is here,
and mom will tear,
for her son Amir,
who dunked without peer,

Troy-staring-gif.gif

nononono

It was very audible. It was loud, but 'tasteful' - meaning it didn't detract from the game or seem too contrived/rehearsed. Everyone heard it and got it. Well, actually, not everyone got it. The guy behind me wondered why the student section was saying they wanted hockey...

Someone in the back of 201 was questioning what the student section was cheering too. lol

In another note; I didn't see Amir return with his mother in the second half. I hope this doesn't mean anything.

The Barnyard better have something in store for the Amir Coffey visit. The "if we can fit it in" response to Reid Travis is very, very worrisome. Amir Coffey chants need to be loud and proud tomorrow night.

Or else what? The previous posted response was in response to the fact that it was a WI game which means most members associated with that twitter account are attempting to maintain an energetic student section that also isn't spewing 4 letter words all over the 4 letter network, which our average fan finds disturbing, aka the 70+ crowd. Memory serves me right, the student section poured on the love to Reid the game before his decision. He gave the smile, wave, and nod, and went on with his life to sunny Palo Alto.

And yes the student section already pushes the envelope, just with the fact that the most committed/knowledgeable fans are linked closely with Gopher Marketing.

Someone in the back of 201 was questioning what the student section was cheering too. lol

In another note; I didn't see Amir return with his mother in the second half. I hope this doesn't mean anything.
Amir and Brad Davidson, who was also at the game, weren't in their seats for a few minutes into the second half. I saw both Amir's mom and Brads parents still in their seats. Not sure where the 2 recruits were. Maybe getting getting a quick tour at halftime or maybe at the concessions. Looked like both recruits enjoyed the game. Davidsons parents were standing and cheering a lot. Brad stood a few times to cheer a bit but sat down pretty quickly. Amir didn't stand to cheer until the end of the game when mason and Andre hit back to back threes. He also waved to crowd after the sign was shown on the big screen and students were chanting at him. Overall seemed like a great game to have the recruits come to.

I really hope Pitino/Staff can land Coffey, unfortunately the atmosphere at Williams paled in comparison to what Coffey saw while the Cyclones defeated Kansas in Ames a couple of weeks ago. That's not a shot on our fans at all, I think those of you at the games have done an amazing job with the atmosphere for a 3-7 B1G team and there's not a ton of spots in the country that would be as energetic for a Rutgers/Illinois/Nebraska home game with little on the line. It was disappointing to read the tweets that the Gophers marketing and the PA announcer both drowned out Coffey chants at certain times. If we want to be big time, we've got to get everyone on the same page in regards to acknowledging recruits.

Edit: Forgot to add my thoughts on Wolfson's Pitino/Coffey tweet. Hopefully nothing comes of it, but if the Gophers are penalized even in the slightest bit...Doogies should catch hell. He's tweeted numerous things that he's obviously gotten from "someone close" to the Iowa State program in the last two years and NEVER used a name where it wasn't appropriate. I am not saying he did it on purpose, but lets just say I find it curious that he tweets something like this about Pitino when his Cyclones are heavily involved with the same player.

That was a challenging game for a crowd to get heavily involved in. Every time we made a good play, almost right after was either a turnover or a counter from Nebraska. There were some obvious moments where I expected some more noise to come organically and absolutely nothing. As someone that Haden's been to a game in a long time I was disappointed with the crowd noise for what was a close defensive game.

That was a challenging game for a crowd to get heavily involved in. Every time we made a good play, almost right after was either a turnover or a counter from Nebraska. There were some obvious moments where I expected some more noise to come organically and absolutely nothing. As someone that Haden's been to a game in a long time I was disappointed with the crowd noise for what was a close defensive game.

The problem was when the Gophers made good plays, it put them up 18 and everyone left early.

The crowd has been great for the most part, last night the game didn't really get momentum until it was out of reach for Nebraska.

The problem was when the Gophers made good plays, it put them up 18 and everyone left early.

The crowd has been great for the most part, last night the game didn't really get momentum until it was out of reach for Nebraska.

I noticed some left early, but it was a contested game until 2:00 left at a minimum.

It's Minnesota, where the state motto is "L'Étoile du Nord," which translated means "I want to beat traffic so I'm leaving early."

TV timeouts just kill whatever momentum that you get from the flow of the game. Whenever something appears ready to happen, you get a 3 minute break.

TV timeouts just kill whatever momentum that you get from the flow of the game. Whenever something appears ready to happen, you get a 3 minute break.

I agree with this. At one point there were back-to-back full timeouts with 2 inane games played on the court during them. Yawn.
As Scher pointed out - it went from close to over pretty quick.
Plus, I think there was a bit of self-preservation involved.

I agree with this. At one point there were back-to-back full timeouts with 2 inane games played on the court during them. Yawn.
As Scher pointed out - it went from close to over pretty quick.
Plus, I think there was a bit of self-preservation involved.

I have often wondered what they would have to the seat premium for us to be able to avoid the endless promotions during timeouts. It may be worth it. The timeouts should be reserved for the students and cheerleaders to rev up the crowd.

I have often wondered what they would have to the seat premium for us to be able to avoid the endless promotions during timeouts. It may be worth it. The timeouts should be reserved for the students and cheerleaders to rev up the crowd.
Don't get my hopes up. Considering what they have saved on halftime shows of late, you'd think we'd be on our way...

Top Bottom