All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

Looks like the butt hurt marquette fan is upset that his precious Big East isn't what it once was and never will be. Never said it wasn't legit bball, but it ain't the bigten, at best the bigeast is on the same level as the AAC. But have fun in your fantasy world where people think you're a legit journalist "potna"/ Mbakwe enthusiast

This doesn't make any sense. The Big East had a higher conference RPI than the Big Ten last year and put 6/10 teams (60%) into the Tournament while the Big Ten placed 7/14 (50%). They're at least equals if not the Big East being even better. Whether the Big East is as good as it once was is a total non sequitur to the pertinent discussion.

lol.. "power 5"... The Big East is legit basketball, potna.

Never said it wasn't "legitimate" or that good teams couldn't play in the new Big East, but calling themselves the "Big East" is extremely misleading. That conference, as most know it, died in 2013. The remaining schools recovered nicely to put together a new conference with many of the best non-Power 5 schools (I won't say "mid-major"), but come on. I'll bet many big sports fans (and probably recruits) couldn't even tell you where places like "Creighton," "Xavier" and even Marquette are on a map. It's not the same as the big conferences.

On a more serious note, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the stipends start being paid to athletes, and keep going up as the football money continues to skyrocket. Are these non-football schools going to be able to keep up?

Never said it wasn't "legitimate" or that good teams couldn't play in the new Big East, but calling themselves the "Big East" is extremely misleading. That conference, as most know it, died in 2013. The remaining schools recovered nicely to put together a new conference with many of the best non-Power 5 schools (I won't say "mid-major"), but come on. I'll bet many big sports fans (and probably recruits) couldn't even tell you where places like "Creighton," "Xavier" and even Marquette are on a map. It's not the same as the big conferences.

On a more serious note, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the stipends start being paid to athletes, and keep going up as the football money continues to skyrocket. Are these non-football schools going to be able to keep up?

That's just simply not true. The point you're trying to make here isn't going anywhere. While the Big East (whatever you want to call it) isn't what it used to be as a conference, it's still a reputable place for college hoops.(Sending half of dozen teams dancing is example A) And that's known by mostly everybody who associates themselves with college basketball.

Virtually everything in this paragraph is incorrect.

For what it's worth, Big East basketball is fantastic to watch. Outside of the b1g it's the next conference I follow

Virtually everything in this paragraph is incorrect.

Yes, but it is a very short paragraph, you could have just called it a sentence.

As much as you want to fool yourself, the Big Least is more of a upper mid major conference and it will drop back further as the power 5 conferences begin the stipends.

If you still want to fantasize about how great a conference the Big East is then just ask the questions:

How many Big East players would have gone to a power 5 school if given the chance, and in reverse, how many power 5 players wish they were playing in the Big East?

Very simple questions, but they easily sort out the pecking order and where the Big East sits in relationship to the power 5 schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is a very short paragraph, you could have just called it a sentence

Not correctly, as it was multiple sentences, not a sentence.

the Big Least is more of a upper mid major conference

Wrong.

and it will drop back further as the power 5 conferences begin the stipends

Conjecture, and irrelevant in terms of where the Big East currently stands.

If you still want to fantasize about how great a conference the Big East is

Who's "fantasizing" about the Big East? "Fantasy" implies a disconnect from reality. How is providing hard data and facts a disconnect from reality? I have no horse in the race re: the Big East. Saying that it's an "upper mid major" or that it's somehow less than the "power 5" schools (a football term, by the way) is the true disconnect from reality.

How many Big East players would have gone to a power 5 school if given the chance

Probably several. There are almost assuredly several players playing for Boston College or Virginia Tech or Miami who would've gone to Kentucky if given the chance. Does that mean that the ACC is an "upper mid major" conference?

how many power 5 players wish they were playing in the Big East?

Probably several. I would bet my lifetime earnings that multiple players in the SEC or Big 12 wish they were playing for Villanova or Georgetown, not to mention Butler or Marquette.

Very simple questions

Simple-minded and nonsensical is what I think you meant.

but they easily sort out the pecking order and where the Big East sits in relationship to the power 5 schools

They sure do. The Big East is as good or better than most "power 5" schools (again, a football, not basketball term). Hard data (not your conjecture or opinion) back up this statement overwhelmingly. It's not even close. I win. You lose.

I have a question for you, while we're on the subject. When's the last time the MAC or Sun Belt or WCC put 6 teams into the Tournament? "Upper mid major". I question how you can operate a keyboard.

The Big East in its current iteration has existed for two seasons. Combined bids to the NCAA Tournament in that time frame (2013-14 and 2014-15):
Big 12: 14
Big Ten: 13
ACC: 12
Big East: 10
Pac 12: 10
SEC: 8

Conference RPI, 2014-15 (realtimerpi.com):
1. Big 12
2. Big East
3. ACC
4. Big Ten
5. Pac 12
6. SEC

Conference RPI, 2013-14 (warrennolan.com):
1. Big Ten
2. Big 12
3. Pac 12
4. Big East
5. ACC
7. SEC

I'll try not to gloat when I point out that they're actually trending up, not trending down as you suggested earlier. But please, continue to tell us more about how the Big East is an "upper mid major" and is so much worse than the "power 5" conferences.

Alright enough of this Big East B.S. and lets start talking about Amir

How many Big East players would have gone to a power 5 school if given the chance, and in reverse, how many power 5 players wish they were playing in the Big East?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A kid by the name a Macura pretty much went to a Big East school over a Power 5 school did he not??

5-10 top 100 kids going to big east schools this year.

St Johns is recruiting at an elite level for 2016... What a dumb argument

Seriously, why do people hijack threads? Let's keep this about Amir Coffey please!

Seriously, why do people hijack threads? Let's keep this about Amir Coffey please!

It's gone a little off on a tangent, but it's related.

I think the point is trying to discredit the Big East as a "non power 5 school" relative to recruits, including Amir, making their college decision, is a stupid move.

Some kids like a good private education in an urban area, playing in NBA arenas, being televised in major media markets, etc.

It's gone a little off on a tangent, but it's related.

I think the point is trying to discredit the Big East as a "non power 5 school" relative to recruits, including Amir, making their college decision, is a stupid move.

Some kids like a good private education in an urban area, playing in NBA arenas, being televised in major media markets, etc.
Funny Minnesota is an urban neighborhood too. Have you been to Marquette? It's in the middle of the hood

It will be Michigan unless he improves enough to get a Duke offer.

He better improve pretty fast unless he is waiting until spring. I like our chances better now than six months ago . In other words I think his stock has dropped.

All Things Amir Coffey Thread UPDATED 9/11: #25 by ESPN, 9/12: #35 by Scout

Not to belabor the point, because you obviously like to hear yourself speak. I was referring to your one line comment, sorry you missed the irony. Obviously, there are some exceptions to my comments (a bench warmer at Miami may wish they were getting PT at a BE school), but the Big East is a collection of the best non-power 5 basketball schools, of course they have some history, but if you can't see the advantages that the power 5 will have going forward, than it is you that is simple minded and nonsensical. The pure basketball schools will be able to compete with the football/basketball schools. As they say "past performance may not be indicative of future results...."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amir did retweet a few pro-Michigan tweets recently.. Would suck to lose him to another B1G school

Not to belabor the point, because you obviously like to hear yourself speak. I was referring to your one line comment, sorry you missed the irony. Obviously, there are some exceptions to my comments (a bench warmer at Miami may wish they were getting PT at a BE school), but the Big East is a collection of the best non-power 5 basketball schools, of course they have some history, but if you can't see the advantages that the power 5 will have going forward, than it is you that is simple minded and nonsensical.

+1 Now that's not to say there won't be exceptions, both with respect to individual players and schools. [e.g. Ellison staying home at St. John's, after McHale left]. But I feel like when it comes to recruiting, if things are working the way they're supposed to be working, our main competition for recruits is not going to be non-power 5 schools.

I do wonder what's going on with Coffey ... an early commitment would have made a lot of sense, especially after his injury and then the main competition (Hoiberg) going away.

Michigan seems to have come out of nowhere. Would be different... I can't remember a MN basketball player ever going to Michigan.

OK. think what you want but both son and dad are very impressed with MICHIGAN staff

I'm sure the Duke staff relayed the information that if he improved an offer was forthcoming.

OK. think what you want but both son and dad are very impressed with MICHIGAN staff

I guess, who wouldn't be? I'd never begrudge anyone going there. Losing out to them would be painful but understandable.

STrib: An education both ways: Amir Coffey learns from — and grows past — his dad

The goal is for Amir to transition from a promising player — he averaged 14.3 points his sophomore year — to the dominance hinted at in two 30-point, eight-rebound games before he was hurt last season. Amir was cleared to play last week, and the injury hasn’t scared off the likes of Michigan State, Baylor, Michigan and more.

“He’s not just getting back as far as I’m going to be a good high school player again,” Hopkins coach Ken Novak Jr. said. “He’s getting back to saying, ‘I’ve got to be one of the best players in the United States.’ ”

With the biggest decision of Amir’s life looming, Richard continues to coach, not command. He tells Amir to carefully judge every program, and to make the choice for only himself — not for the Gophers fans that plead daily with Richard and Sheba, not for the parents who would love to drive 15 minutes to watch Amir play college games.

“He’s my dad,” Amir said. “He’s always been my trainer. I trust him with everything. At the end of the day, if I have questions, I’ll still go to my dad.”

http://www.startribune.com/an-educa...learns-from-and-grows-past-his-dad/318232491/

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure the Duke staff relayed the information that if he improved an offer was forthcoming.

Haha... if that "really" was said and your Mr. Big Insider, how many fringe Duke recruits to you think they say that to every year?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom