All Things Amir Coffey Thread - UPDTAED: A Gophers Commit!

You forgot about Trevor Winter, who was an important part of that team, and a top-9 rotation guy. And he played 5 minutes in the NBA! Literally!

Go Gophers!!

I DID forget. Winter was a more sought-after recruit than Thomas. As bga notes above, Thomas would probably be a 2-star today, while Winter was probably the 3-star.

No offense, but the local top-50 kids aren't coming to Minnesota either. Only one we've gotten recently didn't even log a single minute for us. Thus we should cast a wider net than just the local angle. Our talent from out of state >>>>>> our talent from in state, at least since I became a fan around 2003/2004.

Chances at getting a top 50 in-state guy are still much higher than out of state even if still low. Plus Rodney was top 50 on ESPN.

If you build it they will come!

We all need patience and give Richard time to build up a tradition of winning and competing for the top of the B1G. The lack of history and the abundance of self doubt by the fans do not help in recruiting local players. Coach Pitino will build the base and the players will follow.

Impressions are a powerful force. I once left a long time job because of the feeling that all of the good people are bailing. If you stayed, you weren't considered any good.

Our fan base doesn't do us any favors, Kill has finally overcame the negativity about his program., Pitino will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chances at getting a top 50 in-state guy are still much higher than out of state even if still low. Plus Rodney was top 50 on ESPN.

I don't think anybody disagrees with that, but top 50 guys stay home at a very low percentage. We need a steady stream of guys in the 50 to 150 range that a pipeline could feed. There just aren't that many Minnesota kids in that range.

I don't think anybody disagrees with that, but top 50 guys stay home at a very low percentage. We need a steady stream of guys in the 50 to 150 range that a pipeline could feed. There just aren't that many Minnesota kids in that range.
Yep

True, With Coffey recovering from injury so far this summer it's possible he slips into that range. Theo John and Goanar Mar also look like they will fall in that range. Get 2 out of 3 of them and it'd be awesome. I know some roster rearrangement would have to happen to actually have room for 3 out of 3.

Edit: Spelling of Goanar

Coffey's and Trent's lack of home pride is exactly why Pitino and Kimani's eastcoast pipeline is so important. NYC, DC, Baltimore, all of the east coast prep schools, etc. will have better talent than Minnesota just about every single year. If we can establish that pipeline, keeping the in-state kids will be much less critical.

Fair enough, but I'm looking for a trend of importing more top-end talent than we're exporting...an entirely reasonable outlook IMO, all things considered.

As to the point about local top-50ish kids ... this pessimism is only a fairly recent phenomenon. It wasn't that long ago when the top player in the state came to the U more often than not (John Thomas, Jacobsen, Przybilla, Rickert, Humphries, Royce White all come to mind immediately...pretty sure the latter 5 were all 5* players), and there's no reason it can't be that way again.

Not sure how many stars they would have been, but Jacobson was the equivalent of four stars and Thomas would have been three stars.

Jacobson was clearly a 5*, considered the best MN prospect since Kevin McHale, wanted by everybody. Getting him was like Wisconsin getting Sam Dekker years later, with similar impact on their teams. I don't know what Thomas' "star ranking" would've been but getting his commitment was a big coup at the time for Haskins, he was the consensus best MN prospect in his class, and started as a true soph on an NCAA tourney team. Theo John reminds me of Thomas, except better.

Quincy Lewis and Courtney James were probably the only top-50 out-of-state recruits on that team (although competition for James was substantially dampened by his behavior problems in HS, which of course eventually manifested themselves here). Charles Thomas was a talented sleeper prospect. Eric Harris was a 3* type prospect of the sort Pitino's gotten lately. And nobody had any idea what we were getting with the Bobby Jackson juco transfer.

Monson did a good job with that, he just didn't win very much with them and that was ultimately problematic.

And that's the point IMO. If Pitino wins I don't care what the recruits are rated or where they are from. Recruiting top 50 players and losing doesn't do much.

Coffey is exactly the type of player we need to get. We had a nice class this year, building a good foundation, but our highest recruit (Dorsey) was still around #100 on rivals. You don't win championships without at least one or two studs, and Coffey (top 50 player) is potentially a stud. You can say, we don't care if they come from in state or out of state, but the reality is that Minnesota doesn't get too many (any?) out of state top-50 recruits.

Minnesota has long been talked about as even with or a close #2 to ISU/Hoiberg in Coffey's recruitment. There are no "blue bloods" currently after him. If we fail to land this in-state, legacy, top-50 recruit to a non-blueblood, johnny-come-lately entrant in his recruiting like a Baylor or Marquette or Florida (post-Donovan) or somebody like that, that would be a very bad blow, IMO, and would substantially lower my opinion of and faith in this staff.

We just can't lose multiple top-50 elite, obtainable guys like Reid Travis and Amir Coffey and replace them with out-of-state 3* recruits and say "we're fine."

This, agreed 100%

y
Prior to Pitino the gopher coaches did very well keeping top 50 MN. kids here.
There were none. The knucklehead who commited to Duke and came back, ditto for Rickert, El Amin probably Przybilla and Jacobson who was a borderline top fifty. Of course we missed out on the great Isiah Dahlman. The misses that bother me the most would be Jordan Taylor, Jake Sullivan, Jon Leaur and Alan Anderson. To say Pitino is the only coach who hasn't done well with top Minnesota kids is unfair especially since he was late in getting started on the big three the most talented trio ever a Minnesota class. There have been stretches of years in Minnesota without one player as good as an of those three. The state is getting better fast though and Richard will get his share.

I must have missed where Amir committed to Baylor :rolleyes:

How many actual championships were won. In fact what is the Big Ten winning % when the roster has 4 or more Minnesota kids. Local seems as though it brings some sort of passion to a fan base but the best programs get players from all over. Duke has few Carolina kids. Kentucky has few Kentucky kids, UW reaches into MN, Ohio, Illinois. I view the stste in a very average cycle right now and like the out of state, come from anywhere approach.

How many actual championships were won. In fact what is the Big Ten winning % when the roster has 4 or more Minnesota kids. Local seems as though it brings some sort of passion to a fan base but the best programs get players from all over. Duke has few Carolina kids. Kentucky has few Kentucky kids, UW reaches into MN, Ohio, Illinois. I view the stste in a very average cycle right now and like the out of state, come from anywhere approach.

I just re-read this thread 6 times... I cannot find a single person saying we should have 4 or more Minnesota kids on the roster, or that we should only recruit Minnesota. Please direct me to the post you are referencing, or are you just winning an argument with yourself?

How can anyone put any credence in these ranking when the kid hasn.t played for almost a year?

It is not liked the various coaches haven't seen him play prior to this year. He has so much potential and has been so solid in previous years I think the rating is pretty fair.

It is not liked the various coaches haven't seen him play prior to this year. He has so much potential and has been so solid in previous years I think the rating is pretty fair.

Yeah but that age there is a lot of development happening. How would he compare today after not playing for half a year while everyone around him has? It really stinks getting injured and I hope all of the colleges keep their offers for him. Plenty of times players offers get pulled when a player gets injured because of all the questions surrounding how they'll bounce back and how the time off will impact them vs. their peers.

Is he playing any AAU this summer? It will be interesting to see him this winter. I question the point guard is where he plays according to his dad. It is about potential and according to people who know more than me he has plenty. I do think at this point it probably would be fair to say he is not yet on the level of Travis, Vaughn or Jones. I like the futures of Trent and Theo John better myself.

Coffey now calls himself a "combo guard," mentioned that he doesn't see himself as a "4 or 5 and probably even the 3." I think this bodes well for us -- combo guard is basically what he'd be on the Gophers, similar to Carlos Morris and probably what we'll see from Dupree McBrayer.

Also, Doogie is such a tool -- says "the Gophers have a lot of guys that play your position, is that going to impact your decision?" smh. It's like Doogie revels in tweaking the Gophers. And so ignorant -- Doogie says Michael Hurt is one of the guys that plays Coffey's position. They are completely dissimilar players and would easily be on the court together in this system. Gophers don't have any more guys that play "Coffey's position" than anyone else.

Coffey mentioning he is a "combo guard" was one of the few positives I took from the interview. I think he sees himself as more of a SG with very good size and ball handling ability, now that he realizes he'll probably grow to 6'8 or 6'9.

Coffey mentioning he is a "combo guard" was one of the few positives I took from the interview. I think he sees himself as more of a SG with very good size and ball handling ability, now that he realizes he'll probably grow to 6'8 or 6'9.

I don't really believe he will grow much more. You hear this kind of thing a lot. Wasn't Dupree supposed to grow to 6'7"?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Of this group, Marquette worries me the most.

Of this group, Marquette worries me the most.

There has been some Marquette chatter, but that would be really ironic, considering Marquette's coach is the only one on that list that is more unproven than Minnesota's and the only one that's not a power 5 school.

Coffey's definitely going through the "process" and this isn't going to be easy, but I have a feeling it's going to be Minnesota at the end of the day unless something crazy happens like North Carolina offering.

I like our chances. Florida without billy is just another hohum sec school. The only thing that worries me is would he not want to deal with the comparisons to his dad who was a fan favorite here. Would be fun to have a lynch and a Coffey again.

There has been some Marquette chatter, but that would be really ironic, considering Marquette's coach is the only one on that list that is more unproven than Minnesota's and the only one that's not a power 5 school.

lol.. "power 5"... The Big East is legit basketball, potna.

lol.. "power 5"... The Big East is legit basketball, potna.

Looks like the butt hurt marquette fan is upset that his precious Big East isn't what it once was and never will be. Never said it wasn't legit bball, but it ain't the bigten, at best the bigeast is on the same level as the AAC. But have fun in your fantasy world where people think you're a legit journalist "potna"/ Mbakwe enthusiast

Top Bottom